Ruger Mini 14 and 10/22 wood folding stock

swim615

I have been looking at pictures of the older Rugers and found some with wood folding stocks. Some of them are side folding and some are under folding. I have mostly seen them on the mini 14s but also a few on 10/22s. Anyone got one or ever had one, shot, or other experience with them? I really like the way they look and would like to get one.

Edited by swim615

I have a Butler Creek folding stock... Love the look and all, but shooting isn't improved. If you are talking about an original stock finding one shouldn't be a problem, but they are expensive

What rifle is yours on?

Is yours one of the older wood ones?

Is the stock tight when shooting with no play in it?

I mostly want one for the cool look but don't want it to be much less accurate than a normal stock.

Mine is a 580 series, the BC fits very well, they make good stuff. No slop at all in the folder, my only complaint is that it can be a bit difficult to get it to release and fold. The receiver fit is very tight, I had bedded the old wood stock but the BC is tight enough that I don't think it would be much of an advantage.

Edit to add that no, I don't have an original folder, wish I did!

Edited by Poor_Dog
  • Like 1

Here's the same Butler Creek design on one of my 10/22s. Very sturdy. I don't have any prob popping it open or closed. Can shoot with it folded if squirrels pull a surprise ambush.

The disadvantage is that you don't get much of a cheek weld if holding. Off pod it doesn't seem to matter much.

1022-tac-1.jpg

1022-tac-2.jpg

If you haunt perfectunion.com classifieds, eBay, Gunbroker,  you might scare up an original factory folder for the Mini, but they're pretty pricey. I believe with the Butler Creek you have to change over the reinforcing bracket in the existing stock?  or you can get another one from our fav place CTD for 10 bucks.

- OS

• Like 1

Great setup. I like the flash suppressor. Is it threaded?

What does a Butler Creek stock like yours cost?

I have been looking at the prices of the original folding wood stocks. I see they are very pricey. Definitely the reason I want to get everyone's opinion on them before I invest in one.

Great setup. I like the flash suppressor. Is it threaded?

What does a Butler Creek stock like yours cost?

I have been looking at the prices of the original folding wood stocks. I see they are very pricey. Definitely the reason I want to get everyone's opinion on them before I invest in one.

Flash hider slips on over front sight, held with set screw. It's a total affectation of course, but I was worried about the killer ground hogs being able to pinpoint my position. ;)  Really, I don't think it does anything at all.

I think I paid about $65 for the folder back when but of course they've gone up, looks like $80-100, come in blued and stainless; I sold the original birch stock that came with it on eBay or here, can't remember,  for about $35 to defray it. It happened to have a particularly attractive grain pattern almost burl looking on one side, although $35 is on the low end these days on eBay, seems.

http://www.bing.com/search?q=butler+creek+folding+stock+10%2F22&form=OSDSRC

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

Swim, some claim the flash suppressor helps the accuracy on the Mini, barrel harmonics or some such. Who knows, it may just do it. I got a cheapo slip on suppressor that uses a pin, so it looks evil.  You can always have it threaded and crown the barrel, that would probably help the accuracy a bit.