Suggestion for 308 Bolt Action

Monkeyman2500

I'm looking for a used 308 bolt action and need some suggestions. Need to be in the 500 to 800 price range. I like wood and poly stocks. Also like the heavy barrels but looking at all kinds. Just want to know a few good brands and models to check out. It's mainly for target shooting, might use for deer, but that might be wishful thinking. Thanks.

Savage fan here.  I have a  old 10FP.  Pre-accutrigger.  20 inch bull barrel.  Honest .75 groups with factory ammo.  Under half an inch all day with handloads.  Savages can be had in the $600 range; most folks like me will prefer/change the stocks. Gosh, even their $250 Edge/Axis rifles can be sub moa.  

I like the Howa/Weatherby 1500.  Something like $400-$500.  Right at an inch at 100 yards with factory ammo.  .50-.75 all day with handloads.

• Like 1

The Savage 10 FCP-K is definitely the one I would recommend in your price range, it will run you around $750 ish, it has a heavy barrel that is fluted,accu trigger, and already has a muzzle brake installed that definitely makes it a pleasant shooter. I would avoid the cheaper Remingtons at all cost like the Model 700 AAC-SD bought one a little while ago,sat it in the safe the day I got it to wait on some parts I ordered for it to arrive, when I pulled it out a week later it was covered in rust as to where I have never had any issues with the performance or finish from my Savages.

Well my 700 AAC-SD is wonderful. Very accurate rifle, trigger needs upgrading and stock to wring the most out of it. Likes a heavier bullet 175gr+ .

If I was going to change the trigger and upgrade stock to what I wanted anyways down the road I would not hesitate to buy the 700 AAC if I had no intentions to do any upgrading I would go savage all the way.

yeah the 700 aac-sd is a great all around rifle, plus its threaded so you can add a muzzle break or a suppressor.

The upgrades you can do to to a Remington 700 are countless, but its great as is.  I am a big fan of Manner stocks and Jewell trigger and upgraded bolt knobs.

• Like 1

Savage fan here.  I have a  old 10FP.  Pre-accutrigger.  20 inch bull barrel.  Honest .75 groups with factory ammo.  Under half an inch all day with handloads.  Savages can be had in the $600 range; most folks like me will prefer/change the stocks. Gosh, even their $250 Edge/Axis rifles can be sub moa.  

I like the Howa/Weatherby 1500.  Something like $400-$500.  Right at an inch at 100 yards with factory ammo.  .50-.75 all day with handloads.

I traded mine away like a great big dumb ***, feel free to kick me if ya see me for that!

You can sometimes find the Rem 700 SPS's on sale. I got my SPS Varmint for $500 at Gander Mountain of all places. The only bad thing is it's 1 in 12 not 1 in 10.  It's hard to beat a Savage for just about anything inside 500 yards pretty much out of the box. Depending on what ya wanna do I'd take a look at used Savages for a really cheap base rifle and if you wanted New get a SPS like the above posts have.

• Like 1

Common advice for the "What gun should I get" thread... give a few a try before you buy.  For example, I was oggling an FN boltie for weeks and then I finally saw one at the range and tried it.  I didn't like it.  I mean, it's a good rifle and serves a lot of folks but it just didn't 'fit me'. 

I think we gun guys love to show off/talk about their gear. =)  I bet if you hang out at the range and ask nicely, folks will let you try.    (Start with... "That's a really nice rifle.... what caliber is that?"  will soon get you a response like this, "It's got a great trigger; Do you want to give it a try?")

Edited by vujade
Guest Xmidnite_riderX

Remington 700 AAC SD all the way, got mine 2 months ago for less then 700 brand new and its great to shoot, added a compensator and bipod and a 6x24x50 scope and so far with factory ammo i am getting great groups at 300 to 400 yards

Carter, that link didn't work for me. What brand/model are you talking about?

its a remington 700 sps tactical .308  with 20" bull barrel and x-mark pro trigger... hogue overmolded stock ... 649.00 if paid in full cash/check... 668.47 if paid with card

Remingtons are good if you don't plan on swapping calibers or barrels. If you do it will cost a lot of gunsmith time to do it. Take off barrels rarely headspace correctly and to fix that is lathe time and that costs money.

WIth a Savage you can buy a spare bolt head in another caliber for ~$25. And you can swap the barrel at home in no time. Factory barrels can be had for $125-$200 depending on profile and length. So for ~$150 you can have everything to swap to another caliber with a Savage. With a Remington you are talking about $300+ to do the same and that is if yous stay within the same rim diameter. If you want to change rim diameters add another $150.

A 308 bolt head will work with dozens of different calibers out there. All you need is a barrel and a fwe minutes. Setting headspace on a Savage does not require the use of headspace gauges. It can be done easily without any special tools.

I take my Savage to a gunsmith the first time. They generally charge nothing to break the barrel nut loose but even if they did it would still be cheaper than buying the wrench. After that everything else can be done at home with hand tools. The barrel nut doesn't need to be tightened by some gorilla on steroids either. All it needs is to be snug. I set my headspace, tighten the barrel nut to lock it in place. Then I use a hammer and punch to turn the nut to lock it in place. I normally give it one whack and call it good. I have yet to have a barrel come loose.

I have one Savage action that has been a 223, 300 Blackout, 7.62x39 and 308. And each time I swapped it was about 20 minutes from start to finish.

Nothing wrong with Remington if you never want to change anything other than a stock. Aftermarket support for Savage is as good as Remington. You can buy quality aftermarket stocks, aftermarket triggers, mounts and even drop in match quality barrels for Savage. There is no such thing as a drop in barrel for a Remington, all require lathe time to properly set the headspace. The cost for a drop in match barrel for a Savage is less than having a barrel fitted to a Remington in most cases.

Dolomite