DDm4 vs the others (AR15 upper)

vujade

Hi guys,

I was going to wait until the mania subsided to get into ARs (funny how when folks say you can't have something, you suddenly want one; and I've been dreaming about ARs since December). 

I was going to keep an eye out for a $1000-ish factory bushmaster, dpms, etc.   (when prices normalize of course... i know it may take months and it is a gamble like all things but I can be patient (or maybe not with gun stuff)).  I ran into someone that will sell an Daniel Defense Upper (low round count; probably in the hundreds) for a pretty decent build (he already has the parts.  It includes magpul and knights armament trigger).  It will up my total price for an AR to be closer to $1500 vs the $1000 I wanted to spend. 

I'm new to the platform and I have been googling so much I dreamt about this last night.  I'm looking for some 'real person' and local advise.  Are DDm4 complete uppers worth the extra $500? 

I'm coming from a handloading/rifle background where if it's not one hole, it's a bad day (at 100) so I'd like accuracy to be top notch and reliability good second (I was an AK snob and didn't look at ARs until like I said, last month).

I'm debating just waiting a few months and just buying a new factory gun (looking at the Sig m400, dpms, etc.) but if you think this is a good deal, I'll jump on it.

Edited by vujade
  • Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Daniel Defense makes a good product as you've probably found out in your searches.  New uppers, which you can't find right now, are in the $1000-$1200 range (basically list).  New rifles are in the $1600-$1700 range, again good luck finding them.  I'm talking about business prices, not Gunbroker pricing (pushing $3000 for a new rifle).  The debate a few months ago boiled down to - do you have the extra money to spend on better quality?  Today, it's can you find what you want at a reasonable price?  The old "bird in hand" argument.  

So, if you can buy one at a reasonable price, I'd recommend you do.  You shouldn't be disappointed and you can always sell it later.  This assumes the upper is a complete DD upper and is in good condition. Shoot, I'd probably buy it for a reasonable price.

I've had a DDM4V3 for a few years and got a couple V5 300 Blackouts this past year (traded 1 for an M14 Scout).  I'm not an expert in the platform and was more comfortable going with quality at the higher price (and the recommendation of a couple military folks who swore by them).  

Which version upper is it? Daniel Defense makes several configurations: carbine vs midlength, different DD rails, with or without fixed sites, etc.  Make sure it's a configuration you like (or try it out and sell it / trade it later).  

I'm assuming here and I know a lot of things can happen...

I know the AWB will fail and I'm already starting to see prices on 'basic ARs' go down.  I'm starting to see DPMSs now for  $1300-$1500 with words like, "cash only, never fired, OBO"... that tells me there will be deals to be had. 

Are DDm4 rifles/uppers more price stable? If I buy this and complete my rifle for say $1500, I won't be seeing complete DDm4 rifles for $1200 next month will I?

If you are buying it to enjoy and learn how to build your own it sounds good. You can't go wrong with a DD. Any AR type stuff is hard to get a hold of now.

If you are buying as a investment who knows what will happen. Also factory ARs normally bring more than most builds.

It was hard to buy a complete DDM4 for $1200 before the madness.  About $1300-$1500 was about right.  Everything, I've seen lately have been at list pricing.  

Now uppers were cheaper about mid $800's to $1000 depending on which version.  From your OP, I think you're just talking about an upper.  So, your total value depends on the quality of the other components too.

As for pricing is going to be basic supply and demand.  Now, it's low supply, high demand, so high prices.  If AWB fails, then demand will subside but what happens to supply. I think some folks will sell because they put the purchase on a credit card, but these are probably the same folks selling on gunbroker today.  I think others are just buying what they should have bought before and will hold.  So, it's a crap shoot to me.  I will say there were less DD products out there while others were everywhere, like Walmart.  I rarely saw DD rifles or uppers at a local shop and never at a big box store.  

Ultimately, depends on your preference and financial situation.  

Here's a link where someone compared DD to DPMS (some differences in age and use on the rifles, carbine vs mid length gas, and rail type, so account for those differences in your situation too):  http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=222444