The new normal?

Tempest455

• Administrator

Could be an illegal getting guns to Mexico...

It could definitely be that.  I think gun owners in general are so worried about the government overstepping its bounds and stepping on their freedoms that a lot of folks don't even consider for a moment that something truly illegal might have been happening in that house.  Lately folks are kind of jumping to some pretty bad conclusions.

• Like 2

I'm willing to bet they have a valid reason for the search. Not that it can't or hasn't happened, but the Feds don't normally conduct raids of this nature without reason.

+1

As much as people love to make it seem like it happens, there is no agency that randomly picks addresses out of a hat to execute a search warrant. They must have probably cause, able to articulate that to a judge and then get the judge's permission to execute it. The judge is putting himself on the line for signing off on a bogus warrant and the agency itself is putting itself on the line when they allow an officer to make up a bogus warrant. And most jurisdictions must be able to, and often do, trust their officers that are securing search warrants. If you have a single questionable officer it can impact a lot of current and previous cases so they choose those officer's wisely.

I know questionable search warrants do get issued from time to time but they do not randomly pick out residences. There must have been something to raise someone's eyebrows in the first place..

Dolomite

I am quite ignorant of law enforcement protocol. That being said, It is hard for me to wrap my head around any entity having the right to take your personal belongings from your home without making an arrest.

Also, you have to love the unbiased reporting. They seemed utterly amazed and shocked to find there were about two dozen rifles in the house. A lot of us would call the owner a rookie.

• Like 2

I am quite ignorant of law enforcement protocol. That being said, It is hard for me to wrap my head around any entity having the right to take your personal belongings from your home without making an arrest.

Also, you have to love the unbiased reporting. They seemed utterly amazed and shocked to find there were about two dozen rifles in the house. A lot of us would call the owner a rookie.

Best line I have heard today, thanks for the grin!!! :up:

Updated info: "Bob Adams" below is reported to be a very reputable collector.

http://www.krqe.com/dpp/news/crime/feds-seized-nearly-1500-guns-in-raid

Feds seized nearly 1,500 guns in raid

Updated: Thursday, 31 Jan 2013, 6:59 PM MST
Published : Thursday, 31 Jan 2013, 6:59 PM MST

ALBUQUERQUE (KRQE) - A federal search warrant affidavit outlines the massive raid that seized nearly 1,500 firearms from the home and business of an Albuquerque man and why the feds were after him.

Last week rifles lined the lawn of a northeast Albuquerque home that belonged to Robert Adams. Homeland Security Investigations was also busy loading hundreds of handguns into boxes.

It took federal agents days to log every weapon seized into evidence.

Four search warrants filed Thursday show the HSI investigators seized nearly 900 firearms from Adams' home. There were 548 handguns and 317 rifles listed in the warrant return inventory.

They also searched his office that day taking 599 pistols and revolvers.

Adams has not been charged with any crimes although Homeland Security said the investigation is not over yet.

Neighbors said Adams was a gun collector, and some heard he was a licensed gun seller, too.

Federal investigators confirm that. However, they're also investigating him for possible gun smuggling, tax evasion and violating importation laws.

Court documents reveal federal agents were watching Adams for years and that some documentation was missing "to determine to whom Adams [was] selling or exporting his firearms."

The guns were also not properly marked possibly to make the guns more valuable and to avoid paying high import taxes, investigators alleged.

However, a bigger concern is that no markings on the guns and missing documents mean the guns are not traceable by law enforcement.

One neighbor who did not want to be identified said it was a shock.

“I didn’t really see the guns but from a distance," the neighbor said. "I saw them being pulling them out into the front yard.

“Its very scary in the fact that the school is so close by makes it seem even more dangerous.”

The search warrant also said Adams was investigated in Canada for keeping about 80 illegal guns in a storage unit. U.S. agents worked with Canadian police on that case.

Edited by Tempest455

Could be an illegal getting guns to Mexico...

How could that be? There was no report of him working with the BATF.

Sometimes I crack myself up. :rofl: