So you think your safe is safe?

Looked over their site, Abloy, couldn't find where you can buy these locks.

They are only carried by high security locksmiths, most that deal with government installs using Grade 1 locks can order them for you. The dealer I've linked below has the added option of a dealer exclusive keyway. This means that Abloy won't even sell a key blank for your lock to another dealer, only the originating dealer for the lock set with your approval or direct from abloy to the consumer adding yet another layer of security.

Abloy dealer 

I'm only willing to spend so much money protecting a 400-500 dollar gun that will be replaced by the insurance company anyway.

I started with the locks on the house, they are the first line of defense to protect the guns and everything else in it. We had a loss of over $20K in a burglary before I started taking security more seriously, even with insurance it was a lot of work replacing what was lost and getting the money out of the insurance for the replacements.

Edited by 2.ooohhh
[quote name="2.ooohhh" post="901601" timestamp="1359696850"]I started with the locks on the house, they are the first line of defense to protect the guns and everything else in it. We had a loss of over $20K in a burglary before I started taking security more seriously, even with insurance it was a lot of work replacing what was lost and getting the money out of the insurance for the replacements.[/quote] I pay 30 bucks a month for an alarm system. You can't beat that peace of mind. Not too many criminals are going to hang around with an alarm screaming at 135db, but if they did the response time of police has been pretty good when our neighbor's alarm went off.

I pay 30 bucks a month for an alarm system. You can't beat that peace of mind. Not too many criminals are going to hang around with an alarm screaming at 135db, but if they did the response time of police has been pretty good when our neighbor's alarm went off.

Had an alarm with good monitoring, metro PD's response time was pitiful. (just under an hour, then 4 more waiting for an officer to come back and write up a report) Burglers were in and out in under 10 min. Neighbors saw a white panel van but thought little of it. It happend in broad daylight around 10am in a very densly populated neighborhood. (Lenox Village off Nolensville Rd.)

There were over 100 burglaries in Davidson County last month alone. . .

[quote name="2.ooohhh" post="901607" timestamp="1359698206"]Had an alarm with good monitoring, metro PD's response time was pitiful. (just under an hour, then 4 more waiting for an officer to come back and write up a report) Burglers were in and out in under 10 min. Neighbors saw a white panel van but thought little of it. It happend in broad daylight around 10am in a very densly populated neighborhood. (Lenox Village off Nolensville Rd.)   There were over 100 burglaries in Davidson County last month alone. . .[/quote] They robbed your house with the alarm going off the whole time? That's pretty brazen. I'm planning on backing up my alarm with surveillance cameras that cache data locally, but will send still shots over the web to an email account when it senses motion, so there is no way to destroy the evidence.

I have a good safe, however, I know I could get into it in probably less than 20 min w/ 4 " angle grinder, crow bar and sledge. It's about slowing people down to get what's inside.

You would have to be doing this while the alarm system is blaring. I know it takes less then 10 min for the Sherrif to get here when it goes off.

They robbed your house with the alarm going off the whole time? That's pretty brazen. I'm planning on backing up my alarm with surveillance cameras that cache data locally, but will send still shots over the web to an email account when it senses motion, so there is no way to destroy the evidence.

Yep, The problem with even an advanced alarm system is that it is reactionary, it doesn't really do anything until after they break in. Beefing up actual physical security at the doors and windows will usually make them choose another house. (an easier target) Cameras if well selected and placed can often catch glimpses of them casing the house, but don't expect it to magically make it where the police can catch the bad guys just because they have a picture.(they are very short on manpower) The best course of action is to harden the target, and make sure valuables inside are reasonably secure as well to slow them down if they do get in. The thieves in my case didn't get any guns or real "valuables" b/c those were in a hefty safe, just lots of computers, photography gear, and electronics.

Other than the locks and some attention on the windows it didn't take much to drastically increase security at home. All of my TV's are now wall mounted, this both cleans up the look and makes them harder to steal/resell. The computers I use as DVRs, and my server are now in a wall mounted rack with a locking rack door. I purchased a used older lance vending machine cheap and bolted it to the wall and floor in a room downstairs. It's not as secure as my actual safe but works great for easily securing larger items like my photography bag and work laptop bag, and my ammo stash that was taking up too much room in the safe. My spare lead ingots are under the bottom drawers in my toolbox, making it much to heavy to easily move while all locked up. The garage door has no electric opener and is usually locked shut with padlocks when I'm not home, I like to think of it more as a secure removable wall to get my classic cars out on nice days rather than an entry to the home.

The main thing I did after the burglary was open my eyes and change my mindset. 

1. Odds are the police aren't going to stop your burgulary, but they will come write a nice report about it. 

2.The insurance company will be nice b/c your a customer but will make it a complete PITA to actuaLLY replace all your stuff.(I submitted 60+ pages of documentation over 20 months before I was fully reimbursed)

3.The only person who can determine what your valuables worth protecting are and how secure you want them to be is YOU.

If it's really secure, you shouldn't be able to make a video circumventing the access control in seconds. This is not on the people exposing the weakness but the product manufacturers and designers.

Americans are conditioned to look for what is cheap and readily available. (i.e. Wal-mart) If you want security neither cheap nor readily available should be on your list of features.

One reason I recommend Abloy when people ask about my locks is that you CAN'T walk into a hardware store and buy key blanks, and you CAN'T find them on the lock isle at Home Depot so 99 out of 100 professional thieves won't know anything about them other than they are like nothing that they have encountered before. If you want something secure you have to be willing to go farther out of your way to secure it than someone will be willing to go to access it.

712227037_260.jpg

That padlock above has NO spring activated latch to be able to bypass, the key must be turned to allow the bearings to retract to open the lock. You've now made the weakness the lockbox itself rather than the lock.

The advantage being that if there is no sign of forcible entry(spring latch circumvention typically leaves no trace) many insurance companies will make it much harder to be reimbursed b/c you didn't take sufficient means to secure your valuables.

I understand your point, and don't necessarily disagree, but that doesn't mean they need to go into a detailed step-by-step description to post on the web for all the world to see. Now instead of spending time trying to pry these things open thus giving the police and or the homeowner time to intervene in the crime, or potentially deter the theft completely as a result of the effort, all a criminal with an Internet connection needs to do is read up and be in and out in seconds.

I also agree with TMF. The safe sellers act as if every American has the money for, or needs, a super-secure high-end safe that costs many thousands of dollars. When people don't immediately flock to their products, they resort to Internet videos showing all of the tricks that most common thieves would never know just to scare people into buying their products. Frankly, I feel as if they are doing it intentionally, not to educate consumers, but to scare people and make the less-expensive security measures obsolete by exposing all of the tricks that would generally only be known to a locksmith. OPSEC is just as important as any physical security measure, and people like these douchebags made sure to ruin it for anyone who didn't buy a super high-end gun locker for their $500 pistol. Edited by East_TN_Patriot

I wasn't surprised when I saw the video.  You get what you pay for.  After watching the videos and doing more reading on the internet, I ended up with two Gunvault "safes".  No, these aren't safes to protect my valuables, they are safes to keep my kiddos away from my home protection pieces.  It also allows me to get my night defense pistol at the bedside rather than the tall top shelf of a closet that I'm going to have a hard time getting to in a panic situation.

And if I ever find one of the kids messing with the safe or trying to peel the finger pads off like they showed how to break in..... you better believe someone is getting their @ $ $ blistered.

Edited by itchytriggerfinger