Sheriff's Supporting 2nd Amendment

Guest macmonkey

Guest macmonkey

A ton of local law enforcement are throwing their their public voice behind the oath they took to support our constitution.  It's a shame none of the TN sheriffs have come out and publicly supported.

Perhaps someone here can drop a line and get TN on the list. 

http://cnsnews.com/blog/gregory-gwyn-williams-jr/number-nations-sheriffs-refusing-enforce-unconstitutional-gun-laws

Sure I realize this would be enforced at a federal level either way but fun to see good American's doing their part.

I sent an email last week to Jeff Long (Wmson Co Sheriff) with a link to the story about Denny Peyman in Jackson Co, KY, and asked him to follow that example and honor the oath he took to uphold the Constitution.

I didn't ask for a reply and so far have not received one.

Having moved to TN from Utah with 2 kids in college there I keep up with the news.  Here is the letter from the Utah Sheriff Organization:  http://www.utahsheriffs.org/USA-Home_files/2nd%20Amendment%20Letter_1.pdf  It is also legal for people that have a carry permits to carry in most school district in Utah.  I lived in the Granite School District and the written policy allows permit holders to keep their gun "readily accessible for immediate use," but bans teachers from leaving their weapons in a desk drawer or coat closet.

Having moved to TN from Utah with 2 kids in college there I keep up with the news.  Here is the letter from the Utah Sheriff Organization:  http://www.utahsheriffs.org/USA-Home_files/2nd%20Amendment%20Letter_1.pdf  It is also legal for people that have a carry permits to carry in most school district in Utah.  I lived in the Granite School District and the written policy allows permit holders to keep their gun "readily accessible for immediate use," but bans teachers from leaving their weapons in a desk drawer or coat closet.

Very good letter. It would be nice to see some Tennessee Sheriffs do the same.

Guest Frightful1

Send this question to your local sheriff's department:  Why are you not on this list?

Send the list to all your contacts and ask them to send the question to their local sheriff's department.

Get involved!!!

Actually, take a look at Dyer Co. Sherrif Jeff Box's Face book page if you want to see someone stand out in a way that will probably catch him some heat. I had a friend of mine from dyer co. repost and saw a real American stand up for what he believes in. I am at work and can't get to FB to get a link or I would. It is a great story.

[quote name="coachrickd" post="895629" timestamp="1359131890"]Having moved to TN from Utah with 2 kids in college there I keep up with the news.  Here is the letter from the Utah Sheriff Organization:  [url=http://www.utahsheriffs.org/USA-Home_files/2nd%20Amendment%20Letter_1.pdf]http://www.utahsheriffs.org/USA-Home_files/2nd%20Amendment%20Letter_1.pdf[/url]  It is also legal for people that have a carry permits to carry in most school district in Utah.  I lived in the Granite School District and the written policy allows permit holders to keep their gun "readily accessible for immediate use," but bans teachers from leaving their weapons in a desk drawer or coat closet.[/quote] Wish that simple concept would catch on here, I would even be fine with a mounted classroom lockbox.

From Fentress Courier, our local weekly:

Sheriff Tony Choate Will Enforce No Law Which Restricts 2nd Amendment Right To Bear Arms

Fentress County Sheriff Tony Choate announced Monday that his office will enforce no federal law that restricts the 2nd Amendment right to bear arms.

In making this announcement, Sheriff Choate joined with hundreds of other sheriffs across the United States who have made similar pledges since President Barak Obama signed some 23 executive orders on January 16 restricting the rights of gun owners.

In a called press conference on Monday afternoon, Sheriff Choate commented:

“Overthe past several days, I’ve had a lot of people contact me expressing concern over the recent movement to restrict our 2nd Amendment right to bear arms, and I just want to let everyone know where we stand on this issue.

“I am going to enforce our 2nd Amendment right to bear arms in this county.  This is our county.  Too many of our people have fought and died for us to have this  privilege,and I don’t think that one group should be able to take it away from us.

“I do not have to enforce federal law.  I will not enforce any law, nor will I help enforce any law that violates our 2nd Amendment right.

“We as a community have a right to our religion, we have the right of the 2nd Amendment to bear arms.  As I said earlier, we have a lot of people who have fought and died to give us this privilege, and we still have many men and women fighting today to protect this right.  I was elected to protect the people’s rights, and as long as I’m in office, I’m going to protect these rights.”

--snip--

...Sheriff Choate added: “I think the gun control movement has been going on for quite some time, and they’re just jumping on the school shooting incident to further their cause.  Restricting the 2nd Amendment right will only prevent honest, law-abiding citizens from having access to weapons.  The hard-core criminal will always manage to come up with a gun.  It’s taking guns away from good people and making sure that the bad people have them.”

IMO a pretty good statement on the issue.

• Moderators
I don't even have to wonder. The Shelby County Sheriff is nothing more than an administrator and politician. He is just as worthless as the last one. He will never make this list because he will never take a stand for the citizens of this county if it has the slightest possibility of jepordizing his position or his budget.

From Sheriff Guy Buck, McNairy County:

”As Sheriff of McNairy County it is my job to protect the constitutional
rights of our citizens. The second amendment is a right, not a
privilege and shall not be infringed upon. As long as I am Sheriff of
McNairy County, I will not allow anyone to seize any firearms from law
abiding citizens within this county.”

Sheriff Guy Buck
19 January 2013

• Like 1
Guest ThePunisher

I wonder how many of these Sheriff's will still carry the same tune when Federal grants, other funding and surplus equipment starts drying up.

Well, if it ever gets to the point of drying up funding, I'd imagine that the funding to the Feds will dry up too.