Assault Rifle Not Used In Newtown

First, if this was posted elsewhere - please remove as needed.

Please make sure all of your state and federal legislators see this. New bills are being introduced on the assumption that an assault rifle was used. According to this report on the today show, that is not the case. The media has been all over the board on this and contributes to mis-information.

http://video.today.msnbc.msn.com/today/50208495#50208495

The media was wrong about a lot of things in the hours and days after the shooting. I'm baffled that folks are always quick to distrust anything the media says, but keep clinging to this one false report as if complete nullifies the subsequent investigation and coroner's report that claims a rifle was used.
  • Like 1

Is this factual? Can anyone find another source that confirms that a rifle wasn't used at all?

^This.

Too many news outlets fail to verify the information they air with a second source. If it's only from one person "speaking on the condition of anonimity" it's more than likely bullshit.

Like I stated, the media has been all over the map on this. I will say this was the first I heard of it - today. Why do we have federal and state authorities confirming 4 handguns used and not the assault weapon then and not now? More information now? Maybe.

No matter how much you don't want it to be true, he used an AR15. Get over it. It doesn't matter if he used it or not though; it changes nothing in regard to what law abiding folks should or should not have. Continuing to spread this BS is what makes our side look like conspiracy loons and hurts our cause.

Using a report as fact (which was wrong because they didn't have hardly any facts, but they wanted to report stuff) makes as much sense as using media reports of Japanese peace goals on December 6, 1941 as proof that they didn't attack us at Pearl Harbor. Edited by TMF
  • Like 2

Yeah, unless one subscribes to conspiracy theories - there is not much to it other than poor reporting once again by NBC. Funny that it is just now making it's rounds. I have not seen this up until today.  Sorry guys for posting junk. In my defense, I am not a reporter - just a messenger.

No matter how much you don't want it to be true, he used an AR15. Get over it. It doesn't matter if he used it or not though; it changes nothing in regard to what law abiding folks should or should not have. Continuing to spread this BS is what makes our side look like conspiracy loons and hurts our cause.

Using a report as fact (which was wrong because they didn't have hardly any facts, but they wanted to report stuff) makes as much sense as using media reports of Japanese peace goals on December 6, 1941 as proof that they didn't attack us at Pearl Harbor.

Hey pal, it was NBC spewing the wrong information. Get off your high horse. Geeze, people like to act like Billy bad asses and start spouting off sitting behind a keyboard. Chill dude - okay? I already apologized. I am not a journalist - I do not have the need to vet stories that come from the big outlets. This story does not do anything to make anyone other than NBC look bad - and maybe you for going off the deep end. :squint:

• Like 1
[quote name="FlyboyLDB" post="894668" timestamp="1359043713"]Yeah, unless one subscribes to conspiracy theories - there is not much to it other than poor reporting once again by NBC. Funny that it is just now making it's rounds. I have not seen this up until today.  Sorry guys for posting junk. In my defense, I am not a reporter - just a messenger.[/quote] There was so much misreporting after the shooting that no one should ever bother referencing it. The nature of the media is to be first.... being correct does not come before being first. They were reporting "facts" from "sources" without verifying any of it in an attempt to get ahead of their competition. That first day I heard everything from there being a second shooter to the father of the shooter being found dead. Hell, the news reported for a full day that the shooter was actually the brother who wasn't even in the same damn state, remember that. They had his photo up and everything. This is the same reason why I don't watch the news the day of an election. Wait for these spazoids to calm the eff down, pull their heads out of each other asses and start reporting vetted information again.

Hey pal, it was NBC spewing the wrong information. Get off your high horse. Geeze, people like to act like Billy bad asses and start spouting off sitting behind a keyboard. Chill dude - okay? I already apologized. I am not a journalist - I do not have the need to vet stories that come from the big outlets. This story does not do anything to make anyone other than NBC look bad - and maybe you for going off the deep end. :squint:

No, you're spewing the wrong information. This crap is from over a month ago and it has already been proven wrong. I didn't insult you, so don't start with the crap talking. I'm sorry that Google is broken on your computer.

And I don't see where the billy badass thing comes from. I don't think I would have an issue telling anyone to their face that this story is complete BS and why. Edited by TMF
  • Like 2

The whole thing has been riddled with mis-reporting. If all you can rely on is the "official state report", then that's it. All I

can say is that I can't say I believe any of it, but there isn't anything to refute it, so go around in circles all we want. It won't

matter.

Did someone have a little too much coffee this morning?  Settle down. 

And yes, you do have a need to vet stories from media outlets.  That ability is what separates the sheepdogs from the sheep.  If you are content with repeating information given to you without any concern for it's accuracy or context, then you are part of the problem, not the solution. 

Lashing out at people who point that out to you doesn't accomplish anything either.

• Like 1

To be fair, I think the OP and TMF probably came across as a little too caffeinated. To keep anyone from feeling the need to prove they are the biggest, baddest, most-to-be-feared Internet Ninja Warrior on the block I am going to lock this thread. Now everyone take a chill pill and return to your regularly scheduled programming.