• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nightrunner, do you have one of these? Franklin Gun Shop carried these a year or so ago, but I haven't seen one since then. I am curious how sensitive the fingerprint pad is. I have a small safe with a fingerprint pad that requires you to drag your finger over the pad from one side to the other. That is, the pad will not read your finger by pressing straight down on it. As a result, several things have to be "just right" for the pad to read your print: (1) speed of your finger across the pad must be right, (2) the amount of pressure you put on the pad must be correct, and (3) the angle of your finger must be correct.

In the end, the pad on my safe is almost worthless. I can get in much faster with the 4-digit electronic combination.

You'd probably want one of those small safes bolted to the floor inside the trunk. Even a safe just sitting there can be stolen. And they are not hard to break into.

With that being said, I'd go with something very similar to this.

http://www.gunsafestore.com/GV1000DLX.htm

I've had one of these (mini gun vault, without alarm) for 10 years or so. Sits under the bed for the wife. It is simple to program and can be opened by "feel". I have no complaints however it is a little large for a vehicle IMHO. I have been considering one of these for under the truck seat though:

http://www.shopberetta.com/e2wItemMain.aspx?functionId=009000008&parentID=019001211&parentLink=012000100:008000252:008000251

Guest Ranger Rick
Does anyone have any recommendations for car gun safes? Just wondering for those times when I can't carry into a restaurant, etc, and need to lock it in the car. Thanks

I've got a DAC Sports Safe in my truck. About $70 from Walmart. (You do have to order it online.) It's size might be an issue. (Think carefully about where and how you're going to use it.) I just sit it on the floor behind me. Can reach back and get into it. It's key-less.

It does slide under the back seat in my F150 Crew Cab, but I can't get to the top buttons.:-\ Have put a strap around it so I can pull it out and get into it if it's under the seat.:)

I've found I just throw it into what ever car I'm taking. Cover it with a dark towel (so you can not see it easily). And it gives me a place to safely store my 9mm when I find I can not carry it. For the $, it's not a bad solution.:)

Guest readyornot

I drive a Jeep Wrangler so locking my gun up is not as easy because of the soft top. For this reason I highly recommend the Center of Mass cases. They have a cable that fits around your seat post and can easily be slid under the seat. I got the keyed kind and just keep the key on my keyring with the key for the vehicle. There are a couple of different sizes. I use the larger one in the jeep, it holds a full size Glock and extra mag. I use the smaller one when I travel in my checked bag.