Improving accuracy for Ruger mini-14

Guest tymekeeper

I tried to make a homemade one... got it up to MOP (Minute of Pie Plate). Tried bedding it, torquing the gas block, caressing it in the dark, tri-rail clamp, suppresor...

Still no love

Try some 62 grain ammo, that really tightened my groups up at a hundred. I can out shoot their groups at 50 yards now with a scope on it.

Just the same, I'll never part with it, gotta love the mini!

I just picked one up this weekend, and if I can ever track down some ammo, I'll add my results. I like MOP as a metric, though...!

Comparing the newer barrel style 580-581series with the older pencil barrel models adds an apples and oranges aspect to the discussion, btw.

- OS

Guest tymekeeper

Thanks folks,

My rifle is the 197 series; and I'll keep my eyes out for some 62 gr. ammo.  The .223 stuff has been in short supply but there's a gun show in Knoxville this weekend so I'll go look.

The reason for asking about the Accu-Strut is a report from the son of a buddy in GA who claims tremendous improvement.  HIS Dad says it has more to do with his improved stances, and more practice.  Still I have to ask..........

My rifle is the 197 series; and I'll keep my eyes out for some 62 gr. ammo.  The .223 stuff has been in short supply but there's a gun show in Knoxville this weekend so I'll go look.

Here's a coupon so you only have to pay 8 bucks to get in to buy it at a buck a round. :)

fad63ca21fa09098578d463341d7f9d9_94a7.pn

You might try finding a forum fulla garand fanatics to see if any of the tricks they use will work.  There are garand competitions and people do a bit to accuracize them, though it probably gets expensive in a hurry, there may be some other DIY improvements.

My advice is to try to find the problem before you throw more solutions at it.  Until you figure out WHY it is inaccurate, anything you do could either make it better, make it worse, or just waste your time....

You might try finding a forum fulla garand fanatics to see if any of the tricks they use will work.  There are garand competitions and people do a bit to accuracize them, though it probably gets expensive in a hurry, there may be some other DIY improvements.

My advice is to try to find the problem before you throw more solutions at it.  Until you figure out WHY it is inaccurate, anything you do could either make it better, make it worse, or just waste your time....

Well, one thing you can do with the older ones is not fire more than about one round per minute, and whatever accuracy you start with won't decrease.

I mean, most any rifle will spread some with rapid fire, but the pencil barrel Minis really seem to magnify that. Mystery is why pencil barrel ARs don't, at least not even in the same ballpark as much.

Even my 581 series Minis vary more than any of my ARs, cold or hot, but it's only significant for chasing groups, not for minute of a clay at 100 or minute of torso at 200.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

Well, one thing you can do with the older ones is not fire more than about one round per minute, and whatever accuracy you start with won't decrease.

I mean, most any rifle will spread some with rapid fire, but the pencil barrel Minis really seem to magnify that. Mystery is why pencil barrel ARs don't, at least not even in the same ballpark as much.

Even my 581 series Minis vary more than any of my ARs, cold or hot, but it's only significant for chasing groups, not for minute of a clay at 100 or minute of torso at 200.

- OS

It is because every AR made has a mystical accurcay spell cast upon it before leaving the factory. With the Ruger's it is most likely a voodoo curse after Bill Ruger's 10 round comment.

Dolomite

• Like 2

Dont know a thing about 'em; but as a genuine "shot in the dark"; i would look down the glass bedding the action and free floating the barrel rabbit trail.  It always worked on the old bolt guns.  Ya might want to do some searchin about glass bedding and free floating the mini.

wonderin leroy

Guest tymekeeper

Oh Shoot,

Thanks for the thoughtful discount coupon!  I hope the ammo isn't quite that high....the last that I bought on line was $725 postpaid for box of 1000 loose Federal 55gr. and I thought that crazy.   I don't shoot rapid fire very often, it chews too deep into the supply.  I reload for pistol calibers so I may as well spend snowy days loading these too.

Jonnin,

Good thought; my younger brother says as long as I can keep ten rounds in an 8" circle at 50 yards shooting iron sights offhand with a sling, I should quit worrying.  I can normally do that but I'd prefer at least a 4" circle.

I hadn't heard about Ruger's 10 rd comment.......he makes 30 rd mags and perhaps larger.

Leroy,

The whole bedding issue hadn't crossed my mind.  Another good research task for winter days,

Thanks Alll

Guest mechanically

Comparing the newer barrel style 580-581series with the older pencil barrel models adds an apples and oranges aspect to the discussion, btw.

- OS

Sorry, I should have mentioned it was a 181 series with the pencil barrel, so I'm in the same boat!

But, also in the no-ammo boat, so I have a feeling it will be months before I get to try out any mods! I've got 15 rounds for it at the moment, and have a hard time justifying blowing them all until I've got hundreds in the basement standing by...

I've heard good reviews for the accu struts, but I wouldn't put one on my rifle because of the added weight and gaudy looks of the product. I've done a bit of tinkering with mine, as well as load development, and I've come to accept that it is a 2-2.5 MOA rifle. I had a friend that is now passed, and I've seen him shoot less than 1" groups at 100 yards with his in the prone position. I sure wish I'd have asked him what all he did to it. It appeared factory on the outside.

I think the only thing you can do with those older Mini-14s is trade them in for an AR or a Saiga.  OS swears the new ones are much better now, but I'll just take his word for it.  I doubt I will ever buy another one.  Two was enough for me.

Dont know a thing about 'em; but as a genuine "shot in the dark"; i would look down the glass bedding the action and free floating the barrel rabbit trail.  It always worked on the old bolt guns.  Ya might want to do some searchin about glass bedding and free floating the mini.

wonderin leroy

Don't know if you can do any of that with a mini. The stock terminates in the gas block, so there's no free floating. Not sure about bedding either because of the operating rod, and the way the fire control group attaches to the barreled action.

Has anyone added an accu-strut to their mini-14, and if so what improvements have you experienced?

Thanks

I have an accustrut one mine. Mine has the newer tapered barrel. I think it improved things some. The improvement is more dramatic on the pencil barrels. Last time I shot mine for accuracy, I was getting a little over 1" groups. I kinda lost interest after that.

I think the only thing you can do with those older Mini-14s is trade them in for an AR or a Saiga. 

I was going to add the same thing.  Back in the 90's I had a friend who tried bedding the barrel and spent enough on other gimmicks to have bougnt an AR.

Don't know if you can do any of that with a mini. The stock terminates in the gas block, so there's no free floating. Not sure about bedding either because of the operating rod, and the way the fire control group attaches to the barreled action.

You are right about the gas block, but you can glass bed it, can also pillar bed.

• 2 months later...

I got two Mini's now, bought one in the classifieds from a member here. It has the .625" barrel and will out shoot the older pencil barrel, but not by a lot. Slapped a 3x9 Simmons on it and ran a 100 hand loads through it,  I got 1" /3 round groups @ 50 yards. That's pretty good for a mini with no mods other than a couple of 45 caliber recoil buffer pads. It was still typically stringing shots (high right) by the 4th or 5th round.

This weekend will see it with an Accuracy Systems adj. gas block and an Amegarange rail.  After that I'll figure a way to mount an Accu-Strut. I think I can easily get it to 2" at a 100 yds., maybe even better.

The real problem with a Mini 14's accuracy is something that I think will never be cured.  You sit down at the bench, lay out a rest or bi-pod, carefully squeeze off a few 3 round bursts, get satisfied all is good in the world and ready to take on any AR... Then it all goes to hell as you start rattling off 30 round mags, one after the other, and complain about the accuracy later, as you gather up 2-300 rounds of brass to head home. Happens to me every time...