Cheaper than Dirt catalog, no ammo prices?

I just got a new Cheaper Than Dirt catalog in the mail and there's no prices on the ammo listed. I'm guessing this is so they can adjust their prices up to make more money? I think I will give them a call and have them take me off their mailing list if this is the way they're going to do business. All we need is price gouging by companies that are suppose to be competitive on pricing. I'm all about capitalism but this is about kicking the working man while he's down. Maybe I'm looking at this the wrong way but I don't agree with the way people are taking advantage of the current situation to make their bottom line look better. They're no better than the oil companies IMHO.

I gave up on cheaper than dirt when they stopped selling firearms while they 'reviewed' their policy. It really got to the point where by the time you paid their shipping you could probably by it from a local shop or another online place for about the same money.

• Like 1

I guess my question to them would be, is Cheaper than Dirt having to pay more for ammo? If so, then that would mean the ammo companies are charging more. My guess is they are watching the market and charging the going rate instead of prices being adjusted on their actual cost. 

I guess I'm just ticked off that you have to pay outrageous prices for something like .22 ammo. I went out today and shot my Mark III and used some Federal Champion that I paid $18.99 a box, 2 months ago and that was for 525 rounds. Now I can't find it local and if I buy it online, I will have to pay $60 a box for it. That's crazy!!!  For the record, I won't pay those prices. 

Edited by 10ga
[quote name="10ga" post="892326" timestamp="1358821505"] For the record, I won't pay those prices. [/quote] Better stop shooting then. 2016 Shooter #1: I coulda bought .22 LR ammo back in 2013 for $60/500. Shooter #2: You lie! Ain't NO WAY!!!

It's painful, but I confess. I bought a case of CCI Mini mags off GB. Couldn't find any locally, so I figured I stop wasting gas money and time running around to different stores. Did manage to get in before they broke the 300+ range though.

Hope I don't regret not getting 2 cases and one of 22WMR as well.

Edited by hipower
[quote name="10ga" post="892326" timestamp="1358821505"]I guess my question to them would be, is Cheaper than Dirt having to pay more for ammo?  [/quote] Nope. They adjust their prices to market availability, so I wouldn't be surprised if they get some of their supplies by buying out other distributors to create more of a drought so they can jack up prices even more. So, if a manufacturer sells to them @ $.15 per round, they sell it at $1.00 per round because they know people are panicked enough to buy it. Unlike what some folks think, that is not the market setting the price, that is gouging. Any other retailer would be outed and boycotted if they did the same. Think about when Walmart first gets in some new gaming system and people wait outside for days to get a crack at it. If Walmart took advantage of the hype and charged 3 times the MSRP for the item, yeah people might buy it out of desperation, but is that ethical? Will customers just take that? Remember what CTD is doing right now. The panic will be over eventually and supply will catch up to demand. When that happens CTD will no longer be able to gouge. If folks keep patronizing them they ABSOLUTELY deserve the gouging that will come in the next panic. Remember, there are plenty of retailers and distributors right now that are continuing to sell at reasonable prices.

...Will customers just take that? Remember what CTD is doing right now. ...

Yep. Enough will. I don't have access to their books but if it had hurt them after 2007-9 they wouldn't have done it again.

"Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public". 

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
[quote name="Oh Shoot" post="892483" timestamp="1358836779"]Yep. Enough will. I don't have access to their books but if it had hurt them after 2007-9 they wouldn't have done it again.   "Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public".    - OS[/quote] Yeah, which is why I'm puzzled when CTD customers are shocked by their gouging during a panic.

Yeah, which is why I'm puzzled when CTD customers are shocked by their gouging during a panic. 

They're part of the American public whose intelligence can not be underestimated, I'd say.

Actually, to be fair, I've bought stuff from CTD after the last panic and probably will again. Matter of fact bought a double rifle case from them for xmas, before Newtown.

My bucks are amoral, for the most part,  they go to where I can get the best deal. I figure capitalism is the best ism of all.

Individual responsibility includes buying habits too -- i's up to each person whether he's gonna let someone rip him off or not.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

I have a CTD hair brain theory. A small part of me thinks they may have sold the Newtown Bushmaster.

I bought my AR from them for $150 less than I could anywhere else. The savings increase if you factor in sales tax .

I agree w OS.

I'm not sure why it matters if they did or didn't sale the Newton Bushmaster. It wasn't sold directly to that nut-job, he killed someone and stole it. Last I paid any attention to it, the rifle was found in the car anyway (not sure what the media is reporting now a days). It doesn't matter who sold it, because the rifle being sold at all isn't the problem. It's the crazies and the criminals who, through constant consumption of ruthlessly violent mass media, are desensitized to the human spirit and effects of violence. They see it as (and are as such emboldened to pursue these actions) the only way to "make a name for themselves" in a world devoid of truly caring and connected relationships, and so seek out the momentary fame given to these heartless human beings.

As far as CTD goes, I side with smithra89 from above. I made the same decision to stop supporting them. I found that a lot of their prices were minimally competitive with my local shops. For the % of $ I would save by going with CTD, I'll keep it local, get my stuff when I pay for it, and not fool with any unnecessary policy reviews.

It matters because I think they freaked out regardless it being stolen. To me its the logical reason they suspended sales, in a time of huge demand, to "review their polices and procedures".

Was CTD selling guns in 2010? I can't remember when they started. That's when Nancy Lanza got the Bushie, according to one story I found. It also had to be CT compliant, couldn't be totally standard AR config, even after 2004.

Can't find a source for where she bought it, though. She bought at least of the guns he had on him in East Windsor, CT though. Can't find which one, although it was reported that the shop owner said "he was saddened that a gun sold at the store was used in the Newtown massacre."

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

Regardless, I'm done with them. I've not really bought much from them in the past so no big loss. As far as online, I buy from Bud's and CDNN more than any.

I did find ammo this morning from a local dealer so I'm happy. I bought Federal Champion ( my personal favorite ) .22, 525 round bulk boxes for $25 a box. He let me have 4 boxes so I'm set for a while.