30 Days to air on July 1

Guest GUTTERbOY

FYI folks, the episode is up at SurfThe Channel already. :)

A word to the wise on watching stuff at STC: All of the videos they have are streamed from a third party, and most of those third-party sites are S-L-O-W. Don't expect to click the link and be watching the video immediately. Best bet is to follow the link, click "play," and then when the "buffering" message comes up, pause it. Now go take a long nap, or build a storage shed. Come back later and watch the video.

Also note that there are two parts to it.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest GUTTERbOY

Am I a bad person? I just saw where she shot the shotgun and started crying, and all I could think about was the muzzle of that over/under in the dirt.

:)

Am I a bad person? I just saw where she shot the shotgun and started crying, and all I could think about was the muzzle of that over/under in the dirt.

:D

Actually my fiancee' and I both noticed that. We didn't care she was crying. We're hard like that. :)

Guest dotsun
I think that was pretty well backed up when she met the guy who had to shoot the guy trying to kill him and his family in their own kitchen.

I said facts and statistics not anecdotal evidence.

Here is a link where Pia Lalli talks about her experience on 30 Days.

http://news.bostonherald.com/entertainment/television/general/view/2008_06_30_Brockton_anti-gun_activist_under_fire_on_FX_s_%E2%80%9830_Days_/srvc=home&position=recent

Despite their differences on gun control, Lalli said her experience with Ekermeyer and his son was a positive one.

“He’s a law-abiding gun (enthusiast) who owns a gun, several guns. If it’s against the law, he won’t do it. He’s not the person I need to worry about,†she said.

And another. http://www.metrobostonnews.com/us/article/2008/07/01/02/2912-66/index.xml

Lalli says Eckermeyer was a gentleman despite their differences, but she was a bit overwhelmed by the isolation of her rural surroundings, the oppressive heat and the fridge stocked with Hot Pockets. She is a fitness instructor after all.

:mad:

Me too! The bad thing was her leaning on it while she was doing that:shake:

Although I think it was on a concrete slab,and not in the dirt!

concrete slab,and not in the dirt!

Does anyone think it at all possible the barrel was resting on the toe of her shoe?

I dunno, they did not show it. I also believe the shotty was only loaded with one round at that point. Neither Ken nor the instructor seemed very concerned about where the barrel was??????

"I think it was a really accurate portrayal of both sides," Lalli said of the episode from Brockton, Mass. "Very fair. Very unbiased."

Lalli declined to say whether the experience changed her views on gun control. "A lot of my preconceived stereotypes had been changed," she said.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/e/content/oh/story/entertainment/tv/2008/06/27/ddn062908life30days.html

The above story is worth looking at.

Edited by Mike.357

Neither Ken nor the instructor seemed very concerned about where the barrel was??????

I think thats why they tried to console her! Thinking if she stooped crying she would get off the gun Edited by strickj
I said facts and statistics not anecdotal evidence.

Well 'scuse me. I think someone telling her what happened to them personally was more powerful, then *adjusts glasses* "Statistics show that statistics are statistics 100 % of the time"

:D

87b7d3211a_01lall1.jpg

Is that real or photoshopped? I'd take her shootin' :D

Is that real or photoshopped? I'd take her shootin'

her physical appearance is really irrelavant, but I feel ya there. I found it funny that her shooting costume involved camo. Tell me where in her hood she needs camo. LOL No doubt her stereotyping of people in rural Ohio involved lots of camo.

her physical appearance is really irrelavant, but I feel ya there. I found it funny that her shooting costume involved camo. Tell me where in her hood she needs camo. LOL No doubt her stereotyping of people in rural Ohio involved lots of camo.

To the topic at hand perhaps, but it pleases my eyes. :D

Guest db99wj

I don't know if it was photochopped or not, I got if from a post that had some internet news boards, the boston globe and the metrobostonnews

Here is the pic they had.

foodyrxrj6pyvp1z280kwalpla1c58n

Guest Verbal Kint
I found it funny that her shooting costume involved camo. Tell me where in her hood she needs camo. LOL No doubt her stereotyping of people in rural Ohio involved lots of camo.

I found it ironic as well, since most people associate camo with guns, subconciously. Kinda like peanut butter and jelly.

However, I don't think her clothes were chosen due to her going to rural Ohio. It's fashion. Abercrombie, Gap, Hollister, A&E, etc have all been selling camo skirts and clothing for the past few years... and it's become accepted as such, in metro/city environments. Hell, my wife owns a camo mini skirt from Abercombie that's pretty damn hot... and I would never accuse her of dressing like a redneck (another stereotype).

It had nothing to do with needing camo in "the hood"... it is the trend now days. She also wore white shorts with her blue denim/chambray shirt when she worked in the gun shop, the black dress when she visited the family that was shot at, and several other non "rural Ohio" outfits... most of the time always wearing flip flops from what I remember (also the trend).

I think you're trying to read too much into it.

Guest Verbal Kint
What are you doing paying that close attention to "outfits" for :D

Cuz she was wearing them and had a nice body? No different than out walking around and see a hot chick... you'd remember what she was wearing and do a double-take. :D

I downloaded the episode off the net and watched it a couple times. Once, because I missed it on tv, and another time when my wife wanted to see it again.

Guest dotsun
Well 'scuse me. I think someone telling her what happened to them personally was more powerful, then *adjusts glasses* "Statistics show that statistics are statistics 100 % of the time"

I don't disagree that the families story was emotionally powerful and very persuading for an emotionally unstable woman, I was just saying he should have used more facts. They wouldn't have detracted from the rest of her experience in the least and would have sounded better (and made a better argument to a rabid anti gunner) than repeating the same "we need guns to defend ourselves" line over and over.

Keep in mind he may have.... but it was just not edited that way.

Editing has a lot to do with it. Having him saying statistics might

have made the producers feel it would come across too scripted

or that he had practiced memorizing those stats.

She has mentioned in an interview that she spent a day with the

"Michigan Militia". They they were nice and just like to shoot guns

basically. Yet it was not in the final edit.

I was just saying he should have used more facts.

I am not saying he did or did not use facts, but one of the news stories I read about this episode stated they shot 200 hours of video to get 40 some minutes of finished tv show. No telling what got edited out.

I also do not think it was a current day fashion statement with the girl wearing camo to shoot. Had she wore camo to go out for pizza or to meet with other anti gun activists it may have been a fashion statement. She wore camo to shoot because thats what she thought gunnies wear to shoot.

Guest dotsun

Yeah I made reference to the editing earlier. Who knows what they cropped out, I'd love to hear his side of how he felt the editing was done and all that went on that month. I can't believe this guy isn't active on any of the gun boards or at the least knows someone who is online.

I can't believe this guy isn't active on any of the gun boards or at the least knows someone who is online.

I also would love to here Ken's take on this. I am not a big message board surfer and do not know where to look. But surely there is a message board dork or two on this board.

How about it?

Guest CrazyLincoln

I caught the show and thought it was done pretty well. It did show, however, how ignorant the anti's really are. When they went to the gun-control group one of the members honestly said "we have to stop blaming people for the problem" and "this is an epidemic" and compared it to cancer.

Uh... if left unattended cancer can kill in months. If unattended, a gun will never kill anyone. Crime is the problem. Pure ignorance.

On the upside, I do think they did change at least one persons mind. Maybe she'll go back to her gun-control group and give them some facts.... or maybe not.......