30 Days to air on July 1

I am glad that she got to meet an entire family that would have been murdered if the husband had not used a firearm in self defense. I hope that now when she hears the sound of a firearm, she does not just associate it with the death of her friend but also with the saving of lives.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest dwrd
I am glad that she got to meet an entire family that would have been murdered if the husband had not used a firearm in self defense. I hope that now when she hears the sound of a firearm, she does not just associate it with the death of her friend but also with the saving of lives.

I think that really illustrated the need for someone who is strictly anti-gun.

Guest JRules

This show was excellent, for the first 22 days she was ok, but still somewhat skeptical. On day 22 when she went to the range and really shot, and realized that shooting can be fun and actually takes skill she completely changed. Then on Day 25 when she talked to the Dad that saved his family with a gun, her attitude was even better.

I believe they tried to not swing the show either positive or negative towards gun ownership, but in the end it was very positive. I wish all shows were as educational and rational as this one.

Thanks to mike.357 for the heads up about this show. I had never heard of it. After tonight I think I'll watch again. Very interesting concept for a TV Show. Some things that stuck out to me:

I think Pia is representative of so many of the anti-gun activists who simply do not know anything about guns or the people who own and shoot them. The only way they can discuss the "gun culture" is by refering back to the anti-gun propaganda they have been washed in all their lives. She had never been around "good" people who own guns and when she first went to Ken and Zacks house her previous indoctrination could not deal with the situation. It did not compute.

When she was in the discussion with Ken about why he felt the need to carry a gun everywhere he went while living in a very safe community in Ohio, she said that there had been several killings in her neighborhood in Massachusetts. Yet she told him she didn't feel any need to have a gun. I wondered how bad it would have to get before she might think a gun would be a good idea. (probably never) She had been programed to believe that only cops and soldiers need guns and "they would protect us" but it never occured to her they hadn't protected the people who were killed in her neighborhood.

She broke down and cried uncontrolably after firing one round from a shotgun at a skeet range. The firing of that gun symbolized to her all that is evil ( to the anti-gunners) about guns and her emotional breakdown was the inevitable reaction to the sound of the shot.

I thought the show was headed to a stalemate at the end with Pia and Ken agreeing to disagree and go their seperate ways. But after talking to the man who saved his family with his firearm it was like the proverbial lightbulb coming on in her head, and at least on some level she finally "got it." Earlier in the show she had been quoting "death by firearm" statistics to Ken while trying to prove that guns were bad and Ken had asked her about all the people who use firearms to defend themselves every year. She said something to the effect that "that doesn't happen enough for the news to even report it so it must be insignificant." Talking to the man who saved his family seemed to finally turn her around, if even just slightly.

I think there is a lot to be learned by gun owners from watching this Show. More than anything else, for me, it introduced me to an extreme anti-gun individual who was like she was because she simply did not know any better. And it showed me that people can change their views if they can be exposed to positive influence from another point of view.

Guest c.a.s.

Froggy, I have your VHS. PM me to arrange the meeting. Sorry about the commercials, I wasn't (and am not) awake enough to pause the recording during commercials. Oh, and the accidental channel change near the end, the universal remote was in the wrong setting.

Guest dotsun

Good find, Mike. After seeing her shoot the shotgun and have a complete come apart I can see why she was seeing a counselor. :) I really wish Ken or whatever his name was had done a better job. I was screaming at the tv for him to use the car analogy or site some statistics on gun crime. Instead he sounded a bit like a broken record. Overall a great show.

I didn't see it, but maybe Hulu will have it. Doesn't look like it will though. Somebody save me a copy.

I watched their coal mining show. Very well done. Next viewing will be the animal rights show with the PETA folks. That ought to be good.

I went into watching this with a chip on my shoulder. I was expecting a very

slanted view due to editing.

To say I was pleasantly surprised is an understatement. Watched it twice.

While I was thinking in my head for the guy to say this or that... I can

honestly say that it was about the fairest program that has delt with this issue.

Not perfect... but overall an excellent episode to watch. (IMHO)

Guest Wilson1

Mike.357 - I thank you also for the heads up on this show. I was not familiar with it - but found it very intriguing. I thought Ken did a very good job of representing a responsible gun owner. Yes the "automobile analogy" probably would have been appropriate, but overall a very patient and thoughtful man who was up against a VERY anti-gun individual. I believe he presented "our" side quite appropriately.

As an aside, when he showed her his personal collection in his safe - about 6-7 long guns - and she freaked out, I thought to myself "what would her reaction be to seeing some of ours/mine". Some of whom have 3-4 times that amount or possibly more.

When she was at the range firing the pistol, did you see the smile on her face! And she really seemed quite proud of her shooting ability. Her previously closed mind has been quite apparently opened by this experience. Thank you FX!

Guest db99wj

Didn't watch it, got it on my DVR. I am hooked on another show, Deadliest Catch, and I had to watch that instead. I'll watch it in the next day or so.

Guest GUTTERbOY
I didn't see it, but maybe Hulu will have it. Doesn't look like it will though. Somebody save me a copy.

I watched their coal mining show. Very well done. Next viewing will be the animal rights show with the PETA folks. That ought to be good.

Hey Mars, you might also keep an eye on SurfTheChannel.com in case someone uploads it...

Well, I thought that 30 Days did an extremely fair representation of gun owners. I figured it would be fair and all, but this was better than I expected. The only downside I saw to it was one scene from the gun show where they showed the "redneck" stereotype with two AR's on his person. She commented about two "machine guns". Doubtful they were fully auto.

Ken was a very normal type gun owner IMHO. I also liked that they just let him and his son be natural. Did that trailer not look like a bachelor pad or what?? Pretty cool I thought. I am guessing they did some serious straightening up to get it ready for the woman to live there.

The woman is pretty much wacked. Who sees therapists? No offense intended to anyone who does. But to me it appears she sees one because that is what those type of people do. Not that she could not cope but all her friends probably see them too.

It was awesome the way she turned the page and clearly enjoyed handling and firing guns. She has "that" smile that all new shooters get after they get it. Her grin was ear to ear when she showed off her target. Hard to be an anti with that expression.

One thing I found very interesting. She took Ken to meet with two other woman who were avowed anti's and had experienced loss to gun fire. Well, they went to Toledo to meet. Leesburg is much nearer Cincinnati, Columbus or Dayton Ohio. Why did they need to travel soooooo far away to meet with a group of anti gun activists? Are there no activist groups in the cities I mentioned? Toledo is quite a ways from Leesburg. Anyway I just found it odd.

My favorite part of the thing was the guy who came into the gun shop and she went over the 4473 form. Dude was wearing a #84 TJ Whosyurmama Bengal Jersey!! Who Dey Go Bengals!! And the Pizza place had a Bengal helmet magnet on the door. Don't get much of that down round here yanno.

I also loved the little girl in the pizza shop who when Pia asked if the gun bothered her kind of shrugged it off like "no big deal" It was really cool that they also did not show what, where or how Ken carried. They let him keep his privacy.

Overall it was great exposure for legal gun owners.

Guest Verbal Kint

I missed watching it last night, as well... but I just snagged the full episode off newsgroups. Going to watch it in a few mins. :)

I think it was a little more anti, then pro myself!

They showed plenty of anti-"facts" but never corrected them.One thing that really irked me was the mention of all the "machine guns". I figured at the beginning when he showed her the two Mossberg's,one with wood furniture,the other with synthetic,and explained to her the only difference was the appearance that,that would carry on into the show. Why was she never explained the difference between an AR,and a machine gun?

Why was she never explained the difference between an AR,and a machine gun?

non gunny editors??? They probably did not know there is a difference.

I also like how Ken stayed with gun facts. He did not stray into using cars or whatnot as examples to rebuke her ideals.

I did not get that it was anti at all.

I think you are screwed up Strick :P:mad::):):P

They were firing an HK full auto suppressed on the line in the beginning.

As well as a HK Tactical (? or 23) and a suppressor.

Granted an explanation would have been good... but at the same time I

thought they did alright all things considered.

If you watch the end again you'll notice Pia(?) shooting what seemed to

be like IDPA. multi targets, reaction, etc with a pistol smiling. It's brief,

but there.

I would be willing to bet there was a lot of footage of her laughing, smiling

on ranges once she got used to it that they didn't have time to include.

It would be neat to see some of the footage left out.

Guest dotsun

I also like how Ken stayed with gun facts. He did not stray into using cars or whatnot as examples to rebuke her ideals.

I don't know, his main argument was we need guns to defend ourselves from criminals. I don't remember him using many facts or statistics to back up his position. Of course, there's no way to know how badly the editing was done.

A good analogy coupled with statistics could have gone a long way towards discrediting her perception that guns are the scourge of society.

I don't know, his main argument was we need guns to defend ourselves from criminals. I don't remember him using many facts or statistics to back up his position. Of course, there's no way to know how badly the editing was done.

A good analogy coupled with statistics could have gone a long way towards discrediting her perception that guns are the scourge of society.

I think that was pretty well backed up when she met the guy who had to shoot the guy trying to kill him and his family in their own kitchen.