How Bad is your area?

Guest 0down

Guest 0down

I work in one of the most dangerous areas of Memphis. In the last 30 days there were 27 narcotics arrests, 3 robberies, 16 aggravated assaults, 45 burglaries, 38 domestic violence arrests 35 thefts from homes and 11 from cars, plus 13 stolen cars. All of this within one mile of my office. The police call it "Little Fallujah."

https://crimemapper.memphispolice.org/crimemapper/

How bad is your area?

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not much violent crime... mostly good-ol' boys getting hauled off for disorderly conduct, PD, or domestic crap. And, of course, there are the ones selling drugs and stealing stuff...

Other than that, it's pretty peaceful in Tullahoma. There are a few places that I wouldn't like to be after dark, but those a few & far between.

Meth is a big problem in this area, too...

<my apologies for any insult resulting from my slur regarding illegal immigrants>

My area isn't too bad.

Now where I work is a different story. I work for one of the largest indoor shopping centers. I can't tell you more though... It might compromise my security and I might have to worry about high powered rifles and gang bangers...

:)

• Administrator

During my first week at work at my job, I walked to lunch with the guy I was replacing. On our way back to the office, I kicked something metallic across the pavement. It turned out to be a couple of spent 9mm casings. The outgoing employee said "Oh yeah we find those here all the time. If you look above the CEO's door inside the building you'll see a bullet hole."

Sure enough, there's a bullet hole above our CEO's office door. 2nd floor, brick building. It came through a window down the hallway one night after hours.

So... yeah, my employer is ok with us carrying. :)

Guest ProguninTN

That depends. At home, no trouble. At work, It can be dangerous. I work at varying locations in Nashville. Some of them are known for trouble, including gang activity, while others are just fine.

Guest jackdog

Pretty calm in little old Dover, but if I head in to Clarksville it can get pretty weird. Picking up a lot more Illegals in the area and gang bangers are becoming a larger issue as well. Now days I'm not sure any place is safe, do many druggies and idiots out there even in rural areas.

Guest nitrous_mike

We have a bunch of meth heads around here that have been stealing stuff left and right. Where I work is in down town Jackson while it is not Memphis it is still kinda bad and worse when school is out.

Guest Phantom6

• Car jackings weekly at Wal-Mart.
  • One week we had three home invasions.
  • Our obligatory once a quarter bank heist.
  • Meth cookers getting popped again within days of bonding out on their last manufacturing lab bust.
  • The drive by before last was done not with pistols but with an AK-47 shooting hardball ammo- one guy took 4 rounds and lived(?).
  • A UT/Battelle engineer who lives in one of the "Tall Door" areas in the exclusive west end was stupid enough to stand up in a council meeting where a change in police duty weapons was being discussed and asked if the Oak Ridge Police Department really needed to have guns since there was no crime in Oak Ridge. I thought I would jump up, stand on my chair and scream.:eek:

No. Nothing ever happens around Oak Ridge that would warrant carrying a gun. :rolleyes:

Guest Voodoo_1
All of this within one mile of my office. The police call it "Little Fallujah.

Interesting analogy as my brother-in-law and I were talking, just the other night, about the murder rate in Memphis is about equal to the soldiers killed in action in Iraq since the beginning of the year. Our soldiers are fighting a war, so what does that say about King Willie's Kingdom.

Guest Jason F.

Well the undercover Vice Cop that moved in across the street thinks it is the best area just outside of Nashville to place his family in. He sold their home in Antioch because he did not feel it was safe enough for his family any longer so he moved further out of Nashville.

Around here the big news about crime was the teenagers that threw some frozen paintballs at a couple houses and broke a window. We also get the occasional downed mail box out on the main road. Again teenagers playing mailbox baseball.

I work in a private country club on a private golf course in the middle of a high dollar neighborhood. Only crime around there is the white collar crap the country club members are probably pulling to make all that coin.

Guest db99wj

Within a mile of my home. I also live, for those that are familiar with Memphis, just south of the White Station bridge that goes over Sam Cooper to Summer. I-40 and I240 meet right at the Summer and White Station intersection. I'm in a 'hood with 120K to 280K homes. Regarded as a great area in Memphis. People are working class, professionals, a lot of the older population are dieing off and new young families are moving in, I like old people, they keep an eye out all day long! So you can see, you don't have to live in da hood to have crime come to you!

4 home burglary on my side of the neighborhood

0 domestic violence

0 Homicide

3 Larceny (one just about directly behind my house, just over a couple of streets

11 thefts from a car, 2 of which are within shooting range of my house (a few streets over)

1 Car theft

0 Narcotics

0 Rape

0 robbery

Guest Archimedes

Cookeville is pretty quiet.

There are a few meth cookers who usually end up in jail or blowing themselves to bits.

Domestics and drunks are about the worst thing that happens on a regular basis.

~Archi

Guest RN MEDIC

If you look back at the old movies made about the days of the prohibition where so much of government was corrupted by pay offs/bribes, etc. with corruption of mayors, sheriffs, police chiefs, judges, etc. just take those moves and remove the old bootleg whiskey from the movie and put cocaine and meth in their place. Upon doing that, you would be looking at our area, or just about any area. We have some of the various crimes others have described, but trouble is government. Not to say that they ALL are corrupt, no not at all, but too many are.

Just to show how I feel living/working here, I NEVER go out, not even to take out the trash without taking my .45 ACP, flashlight, pepper spray, AND the big dog with the big teeth and deep threatening growl along with me. NEVER EVER. That's day or night.

On various occasions I have had to be very obvious about handling some guns out in the open on the driveway with a table there, cleaning etc. to make sure certain people nearby saw them and knew how well prepared I was "just in case."

We would LOVE to move, but not able to do that for now.

Folks, many times, things/conditions are not as they seem on the surface. Be very cautious these days.

Most Respectfully, RN

Medic,

You are right, some times things aren't as bad as they seem, they are worse. That is the case in Memphis. I cannot even begin to guess the amount of crime that goes on in the Hispanic and Black community here that doesn't get reported for fear of retaliation.

0down, we have to go shoot sometime.

Guest db99wj
Medic,

You are right, some times things aren't as bad as they seem, they are worse. That is the case in Memphis. I cannot even begin to guess the amount of crime that goes on in the Hispanic and Black community here that doesn't get reported for fear of retaliation.

0down, we have to go shoot sometime.

Well, we need to set up another official West TN TGO meet. Lets agree upon a day and time and actually meet:D.

The spanish thing is in bad shape, since many are here illegal and the gangs and thugs will rob them, because they know they won't call the police.

Guest Voodoo_1
Within a mile of my home. I also live, for those that are familiar with Memphis, just south of the White Station bridge that goes over Sam Cooper to Summer. I-40 and I240 meet right at the Summer and White Station intersection.

4 home burglary on my side of the neighborhood

0 domestic violence

0 Homicide

3 Larceny (one just about directly behind my house, just over a couple of streets

11 thefts from a car, 2 of which are within shooting range of my house (a few streets over)

1 Car theft

0 Narcotics

0 Rape

0 robbery

db99wj,

I am assuming that your statistics come from using your zip code (38120?). Don,t be fooled by these. When you cross the White Station bridge, going north you enter zip code 38122 and when you cross Mendenhall to the west you enter zip code 38117. I live near White Station and Mendenhall, not far from you. Everything west of Well Station/Waring @ Macon Rd.- LOOK OUT! It's getting worse around there every day and is moving our way. This area is where I referred in a different post as being "Little Mexico".

Guest db99wj
db99wj,

I am assuming that your statistics come from using your zip code (38120?). Don,t be fooled by these. When you cross the White Station bridge, going north you enter zip code 38122 and when you cross Mendenhall to the west you enter zip code 38117. I live near White Station and Mendenhall, not far from you. Everything west of Well Station/Waring @ Macon Rd.- LOOK OUT! It's getting worse around there every day and is moving our way. This area is where I referred in a different post as being "Little Mexico".

:) Those stat's are just on my side of the bridge! When you cross over, you are in a different area all together!:lol: The numbers go way up when you get toward the Summer/Mendenhall/Perkins area.

Very well aware of how bad it is getting. I lived on Wellsville (38117) and in the late 90's and lived at Macon and Graham in 96 and 97.

Stay safe, stay aware and stay armed!

Good, God, men. We don't just live in the same city, we live blocks from each other basically. I am at Poplar/Kirby or if you want to actually be closer, Kirby and Humphreys/Wolf River Parkway. Not too far from the new Opera Memphis location.

We really do need to set up a shoot. Unfortunately, I used my outing for April and won't get to go again until May or June. How about a Fathers day Shoot at Range USA? Any dad's want to set that up.

I'm not sure of the exact stats of where I live in west knox, but I'm confident that it's safer than where I lived one year ago. 10 Mile and Evergreen 2 miles north of Detroit, MI. I know several people that were mugged at gunpoint in the parking lot of the building I lived in.