Glock Cominolli thumb safety

Tennjed

Browsing the Internet I saw some things about Gocks with a Cominolli thumb safety. I know all about how glocks are already safe and they were not designed for thumb safety so you can save bandwidth and just not post if you have never used one or know any actual results for with the thumb safety. If you want to mention they are unneeded, why not just skip this thread and move along to another one. icon_smile.gif Seriously I do understand the concept of glock not having a thumb safety and if you want a thumb safety get another gun, but this product has been around for a few years now, so smoneone must be buying it and I am wondering the results. Most research I have done on it brings up threads with people just bashing the idea. I would like to avoid that if possible and get some actual info on it.

I am wondering does anyone know any actual problems that have happened as a result of these safeties? Any actual accounts of they causing problems with a glock? Anyone have one that can report how it has functions? Has it stood up the test of time? Is is still "tight" or did it loosen up over time.

Any feedback from owners or any actual incidents cited would be appriciated.
Thanks
My brother in law has one on a 33 that he purchased from an officer of some sort... He has had it for years with no problems. Its no diff than using a 1911 safety other than smaller in size to get thumb on. It is his daily carry for at least 5yrs no issues

I've installed 3 of these safeties, two in my own Glocks and one in a friend's.  Why did I do it? Because it was interesting Glock aftermarket.  I no longer have them installed and used industrial Devcon 290 black to fill the void where you have to cut the frame to install the safety.  I gave the jig and spare safety to a bona fide gunsmith friend of mine in case he has need of it.

I think they unneccesarily add a degree of fiddliness to a Glock.  I think the 1st-3rd Gen Glocks are fabulously simple.  The Cominolli safety works as advertised. 

[quote name="Caster" post="891569" timestamp="1358778615"]To me, it's as stupid as a neutral safety switch on a transmission. If you ain't got no more sense than to start you car in drive, maybe you shouldn't be drivin. Glocks don't need safeties. Only responsible owners.[/quote] Troublemaker.
  • Like 1

To me, it's as stupid as a neutral safety switch on a transmission. If you ain't got no more sense than to start you car in drive, maybe you shouldn't be drivin. Glocks don't need safeties. Only responsible owners.

Wow, I wish I had thought about addressing that in my opening post ;)

Edited by Tennjed

So... two actually had them or know someone who did. Both said it worked as advertised.  That sounds pretty good so far.

My concern with this mod is threefold... 1) The thumb safety looks small. I'd prefer something about the size of the thumb safety on a Taurus 709. Maybe it would be okay after I actually had a chance to use it. 2) I like a manual safety to have a definite lock on/off and very easy to tell by feel if it is on or off. Perhaps this safety meets that test, but I'd want to test it before I paid to put it on my firearm, which brings me to my third concern. 3) Cost is $90 + shipping, tax, and installation... so figure about $200. Not only is that a lot to pay without knowing for sure that you will like the feel/function of it, but it doesn't increase the value of the firearm. Most Glock owners are fanatical about their "trigger finger is your safety" religion, so it might even make it harder to sell later.

I think if Glock made a 9mm model with a 3 lb trigger and a manual thumb safety, they could sell them faster than they could produce them. Interestingly, you can buy the 3.5 lb trigger for $15... too bad the safety is so pricey.

So... two actually had them or know someone who did. Both said it worked as advertised.  That sounds pretty good so far.

My concern with this mod is threefold... 1) The thumb safety looks small. I'd prefer something about the size of the thumb safety on a Taurus 709. Maybe it would be okay after I actually had a chance to use it. 2) I like a manual safety to have a definite lock on/off and very easy to tell by feel if it is on or off. Perhaps this safety meets that test, but I'd want to test it before I paid to put it on my firearm, which brings me to my third concern. 3) Cost is $90 + shipping, tax, and installation... so figure about $200. Not only is that a lot to pay without knowing for sure that you will like the feel/function of it, but it doesn't increase the value of the firearm. Most Glock owners are fanatical about their "trigger finger is your safety" religion, so it might even make it harder to sell later.

I think if Glock made a 9mm model with a 3 lb trigger and a manual thumb safety, they could sell them faster than they could produce them. Interestingly, you can buy the 3.5 lb trigger for $15... too bad the safety is so pricey.

Ten Ring Pewrcision will install it for $133.  That covers shipping back, tax, the whole works.  The only thing extra you have to pay is shipping to them and you only have to ship the lower so you can send it regular mail.  Their site says 48 turnaroound also.  I have not used them, but have seen post of people that recommend them

http://tenring.com/glock-pistol-work-2/

Edited by Tennjed

you only have to ship the lower so you can send it regular mail. 

The lower is, legally speaking, the handgun. I'm pretty sure all handguns have to be sent via "contract carrier" (e.g. UPS or FedEx). Ten ring's comment that it is only "gun parts" so it can be sent USPS seems like it could be very bad advice. Edited by bubbadavis

The lower is, legally speaking, the handgun. I'm pretty sure all handguns have to be sent via "contract carrier" (e.g. UPS or FedEx). Ten ring's comment that it is only "gun parts" so it can be sent USPS seems like it could be very bad advice.

CORRECT!

The lower is, legally speaking, the handgun. I'm pretty sure all handguns have to be sent via "contract carrier" (e.g. UPS or FedEx). Ten ring's comment that it is only "gun parts" so it can be sent USPS seems like it could be very bad advice.

I may be wrong but I thought an individual could ship a handgun TO an FFL by USPS. I would assume Ten Ring has an FFL. Ten ring has been around for a while and a google search shows he has installed lots of safeties on Glocks. I would think he is aware of this.

I may be wrong but I thought an individual could ship a handgun TO an FFL by USPS. I would assume Ten Ring has an FFL. Ten ring has been around for a while and a google search shows he has installed lots of safeties on Glocks. I would think he is aware of this.

An individual can't legally ship a handgun via USPS.

From the ATF's FAQ (http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/unlicensed-persons.html):
Q: May a nonlicensee ship a firearm through the U.S. Postal Service?
A nonlicensee may not transfer a firearm to a non-licensed resident of another State. A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. The Postal Service recommends that long guns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms. Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun.

[18 U.S.C. 1715, 922(a)(3), 922(a)(5) and 922 (a)(2)(A)]

I wonder if being disassemble and not including all parts would effected it. The USPS has this on their website

http://pe.usps.com/text/pub52/pub52c4_009.htm

The disassembled parts of a handgun or other type of nonmailable firearm that can be readily reassembled as a weapon are nonmailable, except as permitted in Exhibit 432.1 and DMM 601.11.1 or 601.11.2.

Edited by Tennjed