The rare and elusive CWP badge! Caught on film!

Guest Ranger Rick
It isn't a form of ID though. Nobody issues it to you. It's a choice made by people who either want to OC, but don't want the risks of doing it without a badge. The reason it can be construed as impersonating an officer is because 99.9% of people that have one want to be seen as a cop. Police officers are the only people who wear a gun and badge in that manner generally.

If people want to OC that's fine by me, I personally have no problem with it, but that badge serves not one single useful purpose. It makes the wearer look like a wannabe and as said before it makes it seem like we need special ID to carry a gun that way. Why not just hang your permit from your neck.

Rick,

I wasn't trying to jump down your throat. I was using "you" in a general sense. I apologize for the miscommunication.

No problem... not offended.

Not too sure I agree with the 99.9% of the badge wearers wanting to be seen as cops.:cop: Here's why.

EXAMPLE...

I'm going to OC in the local Piggly Wiggly (grocery store) and I walk in with my Glock 17 on the hip (love that gun). Joe "six-pack" who is buying chips and dip... along with Cyndy the-register-girl look over at me.

If I have a badge (oooooohhhh sorry for the "b" word) beside the Glock, they think..."oh, he's a good guy." And they go on about their business and I do the same. :)

If I'm wearing only the Glock... they might panic (cause I might be a bad guy). Do stupid (more than usual) stuff. Stampede to the manager. Call the police cause there is a-guy-with-a-gun. Generally... cause me a lot of head-ache and grief. I don't need that. I'm already on high blood pressure meds.:D

By wearing a "badge" (sorry)... Did I want to impersonate an officer? ... of course not. Am I a good guy? .... of course I am. Might even get to strike up a conversation with someone and talk about firearms... cause people like to talk to "good guys." The badge's only purpose for me was to let Joe and Cyndy know that it's OK for me to have the Glock... which it is (I have a HCP).

END OF EXAMPLE

Honestly, not sure if I'ld ever do this. I don't own a badge. Would agree that it can look a little dorky. :) CC is the way to go for me.

But, I'm still not convinced, yet, that it's a bad idea for those that want to OC. Guess one could wear a HCP license around their neck as suggested... but, will Joe or Cyndy know what that is? Doubt it.

Are there wanna-be-cops out there. Yeah, I'm sure there are. But, I'ld bet they are the exception and not the rule. My 2.9 cents. ;)

Edited by Ranger Rick
  • Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest 70below

Shoot, I never even got to have/wear a badge when I was a correctional officer, only our transport officers and Sgt's had 'em. They were taken away from us because some bad egg got road rage after getting cut off while driving home, pulled over the individual, flashed his badge, and cursed the civi out.

EXAMPLE...

I'm going to OC in the local Piggly Wiggly (grocery store) and I walk in with my Glock 17 on the hip (love that gun). Joe "six-pack" who is buying chips and dip... along with Cyndy the-register-girl look over at me.

If I have a badge (oooooohhhh sorry for the "b" word) beside the Glock, they think..."oh, he's a good guy." And they go on about their business and I do the same. :D

If I'm wearing only the Glock... they might panic (cause I might be a bad guy). Do stupid (more than usual) stuff. Stampede to the manager. Call the police cause there is a-guy-with-a-gun. Generally... cause me a lot of head-ache and grief. I don't need that. I'm already on high blood pressure meds.:D

By wearing a "badge" (sorry)... Did I want to impersonate an officer? ... of course not. Am I a good guy? .... of course I am. Might even get to strike up a conversation with someone and talk about firearms... cause people like to talk to "good guys." The badge's only purpose for me was to let Joe and Cyndy know that it's OK for me to have the Glock... which it is (I have a HCP).

END OF EXAMPLE

Honestly, not sure if I'ld ever do this. I don't own a badge. Would agree that it can look a little dorky. :rolleyes: CC is the way to go for me.

But, I'm still not convinced, yet, that it's a bad idea for those that want to OC. Guess one could wear a HCP license around their neck as suggested... but, will Joe or Cyndy know what that is? Doubt it.

Are there wanna-be-cops out there. Yeah, I'm sure there are. But, I'ld bet they are the exception and not the rule. My 2.9 cents. ;)

A very sensible explanation and example. I have strong feelings about them , as do alot of other permit holders and law enforcement, because of the attitude I see in every person I have personally dealt with that utilizes one.

I think the cons far outweigh the pros of having one. It is also ammo for a lawyer to use against you potentially. Example:

You are entering a store as someone is robbing it. You see a man with a gun to a clerk's head. You fire two shots and the bad guy is killed.

Hero right? Except that the overzealous prosecutor assigned to your case uses your CWP badge as his only leverage. He tells a jury that you took the law into your own hands because you wanted to play cop and that you could have fled, there was no reason for you to shoot.

Far fetched? Probably, but the reality of it is there. I just see them as trivial and useless. I understand the argument for having it when you OC to avoid hassle, but it still just seems unnecessary.

Keep in mind how many criminals you have spotted wearing a gun in a 100 dollar holster openly!

Guess one could wear a HCP license around their neck as suggested... but, will Joe or Cyndy know what that is? Doubt it
Well it does say clearly in bright red,bold lettering Handgun Carry Permit
Guest Ranger Rick
A very sensible explanation and example. I have strong feelings about them , as do alot of other permit holders and law enforcement, because of the attitude I see in every person I have personally dealt with that utilizes one.

I think the cons far outweigh the pros of having one. It is also ammo for a lawyer to use against you potentially. Example:

You are entering a store as someone is robbing it. You see a man with a gun to a clerk's head. You fire two shots and the bad guy is killed.

Hero right? Except that the overzealous prosecutor assigned to your case uses your CWP badge as his only leverage. He tells a jury that you took the law into your own hands because you wanted to play cop and that you could have fled, there was no reason for you to shoot.

Far fetched? Probably, but the reality of it is there. I just see them as trivial and useless. I understand the argument for having it when you OC to avoid hassle, but it still just seems unnecessary.

I've not met anyone, or even seen one so far. So, you're way ahead of me in dealing with it with person experience!!:)

I had thought that wearing a badge and letting people assume you're an LEO could backfire. If a situation came up where an LEO was needed, the badge guy probably could not legally deal with it.

Hadn't considered the twisted legal logic. :mad: Good example. I guess if you do anything out of the norm... a lawyer is going to use it to make you look... well... not normal. Soooo, the lesson is... be normal. Do what the average HCP person does. Use... the "common sense."

You've convinced me. :P

Guest bkelm18
Rick,

I must say you are one of, if not the most pleasant man I've ever met on the internet! :)

Oh get a room! Haha jk. It's nice to see a civilized conversation on a hot button topic like this.

Guest GUTTERbOY
:D

If I had been drinking something, I'd be down a keyboard. As it was, I ejected a surprising amount of pure spittle.

:shake:

Guest Ranger Rick
Rick,

I must say you are one of, if not the most pleasant man I've ever met on the internet! :mad:

Kind words.

Thanks.

:D

Can't remember who said it... goes something like this...

"There's a time to be nice.

There's a time to not be nice...

this is not one of those times."

Ever mess with my family... and I'm not so pleasant. :bat:

Edited by Ranger Rick
more thought
Guest Phantom6

The next time I'm shooting with folks from TGO, I'm going to try to pin one onto someone's range bag without them noticing. :mad:

Which of course indictes that you actually own one of these Shoot Me First Shields. Hmmmmm..... :D

Guest Hornet Handler
Hell, I'd buy a pack of tampons if I could use them as a joke somehow. :mad:

You mean like as decorations on a Christmas tree. :D

I have to give you props for actually snapping the pic. Classic. Speakin of HiPoints I was over at Atomic Pawn in Maryville yesterday and saw a .40 priced at $397!!!!!!!

THAT'S OUTRAGEOUS! That's like an 80% profit! :tough:

Thank you for the props kind sir.

Guest ProguninTN
Keep in mind how many criminals you have spotted wearing a gun in a 100 dollar holster openly!

Well it does say clearly in bright red,bold lettering Handgun Carry Permit

Even if it does, it carries no weight under the law. Only the piece of plastic issued by the DOS is actually going be recognized.

Guest db99wj
Even if it does, it carries no weight under the law. Only the piece of plastic issued by the DOS is actually going be recognized.

I think you missed his sarcasm in that post.:tough:

Guest ProguninTN
I think you missed his sarcasm in that post.:D

I guess I'm a party pooper for not catching on to the joke. :tough:

I've open carried, but not with a badge. The only times I've used a badge was while working security, and the badge clearly indicated such. Of course, some people still didn't take the time to read the badge and would think I was LE. OTOH, I know people who work for Vanderbilt PD or MTSU PD and people refer to them as "security" when they are actually bona fide LEO's with commissions. :D

Edited by ProguninTN

I thought it was the piece of plastic issued by the DOS that he was talking about? In regards to the post about wearing your HCP around your neck.

Of course it is actually bold white lettering in red highlight... :tough:

Guest ProguninTN
I thought it was the piece of plastic issued by the DOS that he was talking about? In regards to the post about wearing your HCP around your neck.

Of course it is actually bold white lettering in red highlight... :D

:tough::lol::D:D:lol::D