The rare and elusive CWP badge! Caught on film!

Guest SUNTZU

I'm getting the HCP badge and sharpening the edges to use as my backup weapon/throwing star. In fact, I better have five of them so I can strategically place them. Do you think they make them in subdued colors? Maybe I could just get them powdercoated in black.

kywithsunandkanji.jpg

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest SUNTZU
:D I had a couple when I was a kid. Mom was not happy when I missed the target my brother and I had set up IN THE HOUSE and took out the vase she got for her anniversary. She had a lot better aim with the wooden spoon than I did with the throwing star. :eek:
Guest db99wj
:D I had a couple when I was a kid. Mom was not happy when I missed the target my brother and I had set up IN THE HOUSE and took out the vase she got for her anniversary. She had a lot better aim with the wooden spoon than I did with the throwing star. :eek:

Ahhh, the inadvertent star throwing disasters of childhood. They stick in sheetrock very well.:D

Oh on a sidenote, wooden spoons, mom's don't need guns, if they have a wooden spoon, they can kick anyone's butt!

Our security director wears one of those badges on his belt next to his firearm while at work. He open carries and is not trying to be anything that he is not. While he is not a sworn PO he is paid to provide security to the premisis that he (and his team) were hired to protect.

That makes no sense. He's not operating under his HCP at that point anyway. If he is he is in violation of law. If he is a state certified armed security officer he should have a badge stating Security/ Private Protection Officer/ Armed Security Officer, etc. He can even have a custom badge made with the TN seal. I have no problem with those. That is your job and having a badge stating you are Security is fine, but an CWP badge is just silly.

Guest bkelm18
It takes some balls to carry a Hi-Point in plain view.:D

It's just a ploy. He's got two full length Kimbers in a double SoB holster for ease of duel wielding. And thats not a mullet, its a kevlar hairpiece.

Guest unreconstructed1
It takes some balls to carry a Hi-Point in plain view.:D

As I fully intend to carry my Hi point once my permit arrives, thank you.

Guest Ranger Rick
Rick,

The reasons alot of people dislike the "badge" are as follows:

1. It is not something you earned in any way. You're not a cop, security guard, anything. You buy a 30 dollar badge and pin it in to look important.

2. It's dangerously close to impersonating an officer. Alot of people with the badges specifically state "I want people to think I'm a cop so I can OC."

3. It's pointless. If the state wanted you to have a badge they'd issue you one with your permit.

The way I look at it is, if you want to OC then OC, but don't pin your cracker jack box badge on your hip and walk around with a sense of entitlement. My take on it is if they want to carry a badge so bad go earn it.

Punisher,

Hey, thanks for the logical reply.

Wow... I'm new to this place. Stepped in it did't I! :eek:

This seems to be a real hot button for some of the kind and gentle folks here. Gotta "earn the right" to be a LEO to wear a badge. wooaaahhhh nelly. Hold on pardner. I was just asking a question. A what if... a make you give me a reason kinda inquiry... a humble request for your wisdom and candor... a calm investigation of rational thoughts of other people.

I happen to see the OpenCarry.org (?) site on one of the TGO's sig. I went over and read thru some of the reasoning for OC. (All new to me.) Bottom line seemed to be that it all depended on the situation on when to CC or OC. There did seem to be logical reasoning (to me) for OC in some limited situations.

My personal opinion (as stated in my question) is that I'll CC. I simply do not want to draw the unwanted attention. Having said that, I can also "see" the reasoning for OC with visible ID.

Will be careful not to use the "b" word in future posts. (Turning... and running for cover.) Incommmmmmiiinnnnggggg.............. B)

First I will say I don't like CCW/HCP badges, but I don't think it is because anyone earns a badge. LEO's have a hard job and trainging to get that job, but a badge is simply a form of indentification that goes with their job. So in that same regards a CCW/HCP badge is form of identification that in no way in-and-of-itself should be taken as impersonating a LEO.

I think they are a bad idea for the simple fact it lends creditabilty to the idea that regular, everyday citizens shouldn't be armed. That you should have some special type of indetification.

So in that same regards a CCW/HCP badge is form of identification that in no way in-and-of-itself should be taken as impersonating a LEO.

It isn't a form of ID though. Nobody issues it to you. It's a choice made by people who either want to OC, but don't want the risks of doing it without a badge. The reason it can be construed as impersonating an officer is because 99.9% of people that have one want to be seen as a cop. Police officers are the only people who wear a gun and badge in that manner generally.

If people want to OC that's fine by me, I personally have no problem with it, but that badge serves not one single useful purpose. It makes the wearer look like a wannabe and as said before it makes it seem like we need special ID to carry a gun that way. Why not just hang your permit from your neck.

Rick,

I wasn't trying to jump down your throat. I was using "you" in a general sense. I apologize for the miscommunication.

Guest jackdog

throwing stars? My brother and I set up an archery range from the kitchen to the back living rm wall. Thought we camo'd and plugged the holes real good.... Wrong. Hey dad not the razor strap againnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn. Needless to say it was a one time adventure

It isn't a form of ID though. Nobody issues it to you. It's a choice made by people who either want to OC, but don't want the risks of doing it without a badge. The reason it can be construed as impersonating an officer is because 99.9% of people that have one want to be seen as a cop. Police officers are the only people who wear a gun and badge in that manner generally.

Well no, it's not a formal piece of indetification, I didn't mean it like that.

I agree most people equate a gun and badge with a LEO, but that still doesn't make it impersonating an officer by law. IMO it would take some sort of action on the persons part first.

I don't think that 99.9% want to be seen as a cop. I think a few just feel it will cut down on the hassel factor (I agree because the sheep may think they are a LEO), some may think it will help identify them as Good Guy in active shooter situation....and most of the rest either thinks it just looks tacticool or want to be seen as special.

The rest of your post I fully agree with.

Guest ColdEspresso
That makes no sense. He's not operating under his HCP at that point anyway. If he is he is in violation of law. If he is a state certified armed security officer he should have a badge stating Security/ Private Protection Officer/ Armed Security Officer, etc. He can even have a custom badge made with the TN seal. I have no problem with those. That is your job and having a badge stating you are Security is fine, but an CWP badge is just silly.

I agree and I asked him why he did not go that route. NO RESPONSE... I have seen him off the clock and he did not have his HCP badge visible but his glock was printing badly under his t shirt.

Guest db99wj

I've seen only two guys wearing them in my life. One was at the range, skinny old dude, cowboy hat, western shirt, leather vest with buttons and pins all over the had and vest, jeans, boots with fancy metal around them (heel, toe area), he had one and the other guy driving the dark blue, tinted window, no hub cap having, chrome spotlight on the front windshield, impala, wearing all black....

Guest 70below

Going back a few pages.......I'd like to see the walmart employee that has to balls to walk up to a guy wearing OC and telling him to reposition his gun or get out. We've all been over that MOST of the guys that OC don't have that professional persona, if I'm in Wally World makin' $6 an hour and my supervisor tells me he saw a shady guy wearing a gun (who may or MAY NOT have a HCP) on isle 6 and tells me to go instruct him to "reposition his weapon, or leave".......I'd tell him where to go!

ahhhh....yeah.....Nunchuks....a buddy of mine found a set of those in a house his parents bought.....they appeared to leave quite the welt on his forehead

:):D

Guest db99wj
Going back a few pages.......I'd like to see the walmart employee that has to balls to walk up to a guy wearing OC and telling him to reposition his gun or get out. We've all been over that MOST of the guys that OC don't have that professional persona, if I'm in Wally World makin' $6 an hour and my supervisor tells me he saw a shady guy wearing a gun (who may or MAY NOT have a HCP) on isle 6 and tells me to go instruct him to "reposition his weapon, or leave".......I'd tell him where to go!

ahhhh....yeah.....Nunchuks....a buddy of mine found a set of those in a house his parents bought.....they appeared to leave quite the welt on his forehead

:):D

Nunchakus, been busting foreheads and balls since the 17th century!

I'd like to see the walmart employee that has to balls to walk up to a guy wearing OC and telling him to reposition his gun or get out.

Well, I'll tell you....

I have a friend who OCed his Taurus 44 Magnum in Walmart in Bristol and was asked to leave. Later, he joined a security company and was situated at the same Walmart as security. It happens.