Why my CHP haven't arrive yet?

Guest halutz

I am really eager to get my CHP, and since i applied Dec12, i haven't heard a thing. Don't know if the delay was due to the increase of applicants or what. 

On a side note, can someone tell me since I moved to TN and yet I still own a house in NC, whould my NC CHP still be valid since I don't have a NC State ID nor NC DL?

[quote name="TGO David" post="889901" timestamp="1358632258"]It's not a CHP.  It's a HCP.[/quote] I thought he was applying for a position on the California Highway Patrol. December 12 was only six weeks ago. That's the low end of the time-frame I was given back in November. Wait until 9 weeks has gone by and then maybe give them a call.

It's not a CHP.  It's a HCP.

I thought he was applying for a position on the California Highway Patrol. December 12 was only six weeks ago. That's the low end of the time-frame I was given back in November. Wait until 9 weeks has gone by and then maybe give them a call.

Hey now, its called Concealed Handgun Permit in NC so don't bust my chops! and besides i would never want to live in Cali! I am just annoyed of the wait, coz i might deploy in near future and still not get my carry permit. Specially with the rotations of soldiers in Afghanistan is short now. 

[quote name="halutz" post="889941" timestamp="1358635492"]Hey now, its called Concealed Handgun Permit in NC so don't bust my chops! and besides i would never want to live in Cali! I am just annoyed of the wait, coz i might deploy in near future and still not get my carry permit. Specially with the rotations of soldiers in Afghanistan is short now. [/quote] I feel ya, man. I was born in CA and I don't want to live there, either.
[quote name="halutz" post="889890" timestamp="1358631634"]I am really eager to get my CHP, and since i applied Dec12, i haven't heard a thing. Don't know if the delay was due to the increase of applicants or what.    [/quote] These are Gov't offices and you applied right before Christmas and New Years. Try to manage your expectations.

Is North Carolina your home of record or just your last duty station.  Residency rules are different for active duty military and depending on different factors your NC permit may still be valid.  If NC is your home of record or if you pay your income tax's to NC and the mailing address is still valid on your NC carry permit then it is still good to go regardless of how long you have lived in TN.  If NC is not your home of record or the state you pay taxes to then it may no longer be valid.  You get a certain period of time to switch it over when moving.  I want to say 90 days but am not 100% sure on the 90 day part.  

Is North Carolina your home of record or just your last duty station.  Residency rules are different for active duty military and depending on different factors your NC permit may still be valid.  If NC is your home of record or if you pay your income tax's to NC and the mailing address is still valid on your NC carry permit then it is still good to go regardless of how long you have lived in TN.  If NC is not your home of record or the state you pay taxes to then it may no longer be valid.  You get a certain period of time to switch it over when moving.  I want to say 90 days but am not 100% sure on the 90 day part.  

Nah my home of record is NY :yuck: , don't want to live there ever again either, and I don't pay NC income tax but I pay property tax for I still own the property that's in my NC permit, I know we have some lawyer in the crowd that's why I am trying my luck to see some free legal advise. I miss carrying, my wife calls me crazy but it soothes my soul when I carry. 

I had a NC state ID but the DL office made me surrender it together with my NY DL, which confused me as hell. But they said I can't have 2 different ID/DL from different states. I did talk to the supervisor and they said that's how it is here :rant: TN. My NC Permit is valid for 3 more years, but I can't use it coz I don't have a NC State ID anymore, I have a TN DL now.

[quote name="halutz" post="890959" timestamp="1358719265"] I had a NC state ID but the DL office made me surrender it together with my NY DL, which confused me as hell. But they said I can't have 2 different ID/DL from different states. I did talk to the supervisor and they said that's how it is here :rant: TN. My NC Permit is valid for 3 more years, but I can't use it coz I don't have a NC State ID anymore, I have a TN DL now.[/quote] Why would you need a NC state ID to validate your carry permit from that state? If I leave my DL at home, it doesn't invalidate my carry permit. Sounds like you have 6 months of validity, so you should be fine. If you're worried, call the DOS and ask, but be prepared for them to be a little confused at your question.

Hey now, its called Concealed Handgun Permit in NC so don't bust my chops! and besides i would never want to live in Cali! I am just annoyed of the wait, coz i might deploy in near future and still not get my carry permit. Specially with the rotations of soldiers in Afghanistan is short now. 

Pretty sure you don't need an HCP to carry in Afghanistan :P

Why would you need a NC state ID to validate your carry permit from that state? If I leave my DL at home, it doesn't invalidate my carry permit. Sounds like you have 6 months of validity, so you should be fine. If you're worried, call the DOS and ask, but be prepared for them to be a little confused at your question.

I will probably call them tomorrow, NC HCP/CHP is only valid with id with the same address that the individual registered it, thats what my old sherriff told me.
I called a little over a week after submitting my prints and paperwork. The lady i spoke to said everything was in order and it was on it's way. I think i only had to wait 2 1/2 weeks to get it total. I don't know if calling made a difference or not. Plus this was back when Bush was in office.

I am really eager to get my CHP, and since i applied Dec12, i haven't heard a thing. Don't know if the delay was due to the increase of applicants or what. 

On a side note, can someone tell me since I moved to TN and yet I still own a house in NC, whould my NC CHP still be valid since I don't have a NC State ID nor NC DL?

Couple of things... A) If you are active duty (thank you, by the way) and change your home of record to TN you won't have to pay any state income tax (as we dont have any). When I was in the Navy my HOR was TX, because they dont have income tax for active duty people. It is something you have to do through the pay people (do you still have LESs? It shows your HOR on it.). I would and did...

B ) Most states make you surrender another state's ID or DL... dont know about carry permit.

Edited by MarkInNashville
  • Like 1

Couple of things... A) If you are active duty (thank you, by the way) and change your home of record to TN you won't have to pay any state income tax (as we dont have any). When I was in the Navy my HOR was TX, because they dont have income tax for active duty people. It is something you have to do through the pay people (do you still have LESs? It shows your HOR on it.). I would and did...

2nd this.

To the OP, this should have been one of the first things out of your NCO's mouth when you reported. Although the sales tax is high, there is no state income tax like NY. Change your HOR before the end of the month. Edited by TMF

2nd this.

To the OP, this should have been one of the first things out of your NCO's mouth when you reported. Although the sales tax is high, there is no state income tax like NY. Change your HOR before the end of the month.

First thing that came to mind when reading you were based out of NY. Get out of those nasty state income taxes!
Sorry it's taking so long. Got my permit when Bush was in office. Took less than a month. I doubt the current administration has much to do with the processing, besides the increased volume. Good luck though. Also, it appears that TN honors NC permits if I understand the map at usacarry.com correctly.

There is a # to call & ck on it ,mine took well over 2 months,all my info was sent from strawplains DOT center & they had a scanner problem & all the info didnt get sent,looked like nobody was going to contact me,they said oh you must have been 1 of the affected applicants,I would have had to pay another $115 if i had not found out not due to any thing i done  :( ,waiting is rough lol,thank you for your service

Edited by mike243
  • 3 weeks later...

Sweet Jesus, I received my love pictured HCP aka CHP or whatever is it called in your neck of the woods. I was arriving at home to eat lunch then back to CQ when I see my mailbox a little bit open so I look and saw my beautiful smile in the picture. Total of 59 days waiting, compare to my NC-CHP that took 32 days only, all in all the License Center was so helpful. I wish they didn't made me surrender my NC ID so I can still buy firearms in NC when I'm there to avoid transfer fee.