AR 7.62x39

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The definition of a dysfunctional relationship.They ammo and platform don't complement each other and in fact will magnify their deficiencies.

The x39 ammo that is available is mostly dirty stuff that will bring out the worst in the AR platform and you won't gain much accuracy benefit, if any. Get a good AK instead if you want to shoot on a budget.

Guest tcampbell

I am going through the same....I am going to decide between the Arsenal AK or the CZ VZ58. The CZ has had rave reviews. Milled reciever. It is not an AK though...neither is it an AR. I have heard that it is better than an AK

Guest bkelm18
I am going through the same....I am going to decide between the Arsenal AK or the CZ VZ58. The CZ has had rave reviews. Milled reciever. It is not an AK though...neither is it an AR. I have heard that it is better than an AK

You can't really compare the AK and the CZ. The two really have nothing to do with each other. They look slightly similar but thats about it. The CZ is a completely different design than an AK. Just like an AR. So saying one is better than another is like saying I like apples better than oranges. :rolleyes: Each one is good for what it is.

Guest tcampbell

I never said one was better than the other, I only stated that is what I have heard. I never even said they were similiar. The only thing similiar between the CZ and Arsenal is that they both use 7.62x39 ammo. The only thing I stated was the CZ has had rave reviews. I haven't found any substantial reviews for the Arsenal AK.

Edited by tcampbell
Guest Mugster
Anyone have one of these? Thought about buying one of these?

I'm just throwing around ideas for my future AR build/purchase, and was wondering if this would even be a good idea.

I just bought a complete 7.62x39 upper, a doublestar. These have .310 bores so they should shoot commie ammo pretty good.

I may need an extra power hammer spring to torch off some of it, i dunno. I have 4 of the new cproducts mags on backorder. Only downside so far is mag availability. If cproducts comes through, I see no downside to this platform.

I'll try the golden tiger tomorrow and give you a range report.

Guest Mugster

Overall, I rate the 7.62x39 upper experience as a 5 mugs out of 5.

Recoil was alot less than a .30-.30.

Golden tiger brand ammo is good stuff. It looks good, and it shoots good. Good for 1" at 50 yards, probably 2-2.5" at 100 for 5-6 shots. After zeroing at 50, at 250 yards I held dead on and hit 3 out of 3 a bit low on an 8.5 x 11 piece of paper. At 300 I held about a foot high and got about 6 hits out of 12-15 on the same sized paper...once i figured out the rough drop. 2x2' steel at 300 was 10 out of 10 prone. Used a 1-4x shotgun scope.

No problem torching off the commie ammo with a mil spec hammer spring. Dunno about long term wear on a stock lower/plunger/spring. I may give doubestar a call and see what they recommend.

I could get about 4-5 in a standard 30 round 5.56 mag, plenty for plinking. Shot about 80 rounds. Had a couple of mag problems and they were tough to get in there. Vaporized a golf ball at 20 yards.

Cproducts better come though with the stuff. I love this upper. Mags on order from here:

http://www.44mag.com/prodinfo.asp?number=CP76230

Golden tiger review here:

http://www.surplusrifleforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=29617