Springfield XDM 9mm compact vs. 40 compact

Guest chilijeep

Guest chilijeep

I've been looking at buying a Springfield XDM 9mm compact for a carry gun and home protection. Nobody seems to have the 9mm compacts in stock due to the current insanity in the market. I have found a few places that still have the 40 compacts and wanted to get some opinions on the kick differences. I don't have a lot of handgun experience and plan on trying to go shoot both guns soon to see for myself. My primary concern is to have something my wife can handle as well. I really like the XDM's but just want to find the right one. Thanks for the help!!

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest whiskeymaker
Backstage in winchester i believe still has a xdm compact 9mm or try a glock 23. I got my wife a glock 23. She says its too much for her. She is stealing my sig p238 (.380) after shooting it. I also have a sig p938 (9mm) that i just picked up. Cant wait to try it.

While the recoil is somewhat similar, the .40 has more of a sharp snap to it.  I have .45, 9mm and .40, and I prefer shooting both the .45 and 9mm over the .40.  The .40 is supposed to have a greater punch on the target than the 9mm though in terms of striking power.

Guest chilijeep

While the recoil is somewhat similar, the .40 has more of a sharp snap to it.  I have .45, 9mm and .40, and I prefer shooting both the .45 and 9mm over the .40.  The .40 is supposed to have a greater punch on the target than the 9mm though in terms of striking power.

Thanks for the help! Well, I geuss my next question then would be how does the .40 compare to the .45? I assumed the .45 would have a much greater kick than the .40 would. Thoughts?

[quote name="chilijeep" post="890026" timestamp="1358641904"]Thanks for the help! Well, I geuss my next question then would be how does the .40 compare to the .45? I assumed the .45 would have a much greater kick than the .40 would. Thoughts?[/quote]Nope, actually not. The .45 is lower pressure and like the 9mm also has a smoother recoil than the .40. I personally find the .40 a bit rough on my wrists.

Nope, actually not. The .45 is lower pressure and like the 9mm also has a smoother recoil than the .40. I personally find the .40 a bit rough on my wrists.

I'll go along with mcurrier on this. I personally feel that the 40 has a harsher recoil impuse than the 45 whether I'm shooting a steel or poly frame gun. I'm pretty much out of the 40 except for my G22/24. For some reason, it doesn't seem quite as bad to me with the Glock pistols. 

Backstage in winchester i believe still has a xdm compact 9mm or try a glock 23. I got my wife a glock 23. She says its too much for her. She is stealing my sig p238 (.380) after shooting it. I also have a sig p938 (9mm) that i just picked up. Cant wait to try it.

Get her a Glock 19. I've got a 23 and don't exactly like shooting it. Put a nice blister on my middle finger after 500 rounds in a class.

Edited by JeffL
Guest chilijeep

I went to the range on Sunday and rented a XDS 45 to test out and I really liked it. I know that ammo is more expensive but what's your family worth? Let me know if anyone knows a store who still has some. Thanks!

Chili:___________

I really like the XDS 45 myself (...i like the lines...).  Havin said that; i dont think ya could beat a glock 36 or whatever the similar kahr is.  As others have opined; i believe the polymer framed pistols calm the 45 down a bit over the 1911 type pistols.

leroy