Converting to a rifle stock.

piercedan

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Rifle tube, rifle spring, rifle buffer.

Real easy.  Tear her down, put the rifle tube on tight.  Slip the rifle butt on and it's held in place with the upper screw for the butt pad.  You don't need the receiver end plate with a rifle stock.  I recently ditched the collapsable stock on my DMR for a rifle stock.  I couldn't be happier.  I'm long armed to begin with and an A2 stock is INFINITELY more comfortable.  The only reason my other AR isn't an A2 stock is because the wife shoots it and the collapsable is better for her.  

Edited by Caster

You can keep your carbine buffer and spring by adding a spacer at the bottom of the rifle buffer tube that is 2.65" long and .990" OD

That is what I did on my last build. That way all you need it the rifle tube. The spacer can be plastic or metal or probably anything that is sturdy. I also put a 1/4" hole through the middle for pressure relief. Not sure if it is needed though.

Dolomite

Watch out for the rear take down pin spring and detent that are held in by the current buffer tube end plate. They like to spring out and of course disappear forever.

- OS

Those damn things go into a black hole.

I have the Spikes buffer ST-T2, would that be different than the rifle buffer?  Do you think I would get more recoil dampening with the rifle spring?

Yes, a rifle buffer is longer by ~2.65" so if you don't use a spacer like I mentioned you will loose your current buffer. And without the spacer you also need to use the rifle recoil spring in addition to the rifle buffer.

Ideally what you want if the bolt and buffer to recoil fully WITHOUT impacting the bottom of the buffer tube very strongly. That is why I recommend an adjustable gas block to most people because most guns built today ARE over gassed. And over gassed guns have a very high bolt speed and this causes reliability issues as well as increases the felt recoil. That is why the companies started releasing the heavy buffers, to fix the over gassing issue. And if your gun came with the heavy buffer then it is likely overgassed. Your heavy buffer may be slowing the bolt down enough to reduce that impact, reducing velocity reduces energy imparted compared to just reducing mass.

You can read my thoughts on over gassing here:

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/topic/56496-over-gassing-an-ar-and-the-problems-is-causes/?hl=gassed

A perfectly gassed gun with a standard buffer has very little recoil. My lightweight 5 pound AR has less recoil than my 7 pound AR because of the lightweight being perfectly gassed.

In a perfect world you would want a standard weight buffer to work. And for it to barely impact the rear of the buffer tube. I have made lightweight buffers and made sure the gas was correct. In those instances the AR is 22 lr like in the recoil.

I will make you a deal. If I have enough material sitting around I will make the correct spacer for you to keep your current buffer and recoil spring. PM me your address and I will try to get it out to you in the next week or two. Actually I think I can make a spacer that uses the rifle recoil spring and a carbine buffer. Or if you want to keep your carbine recoil spring I can make that spacer as well. I just need to know what you want. Either use your current buffer and spring or use your current buffer and a rifle spring.

I would HIGHLY recommend getting and adjustable gas block and tuning your rifle. These people make great blocks for the money: 

http://bte-usa.com/parts/gas-blocks.htm

Dolomite

Spikes has a spacer purpose built to use with their imho best in the market carbine buffers so you can use it on a rifle stock.  Magpul just came out with a MOE rifle length stock(or at least new to me) that Coal Creek in knoxville actually had available.  If clubbing people with a gun is your thing though I suggest you just look for a carbine stock with a heavy backend as there are quite a few on the market built with that and glass breaking in mind.  (I personally prefer the added portability and compactness of a carbine style stock)