Loopholes????

Guest benchpresspower

Guest benchpresspower

Ok, I was just wondering something. According to TN State Law, a sign has to be at every entrance and plainly visible to all to prohibit weapons on the premises of an establishment, correct? Those of us in Nashville are aware (or at least I think we are) that in Opry Mills mall, firearms are prohibited BUT, say for instance you enter through one of the outerlying stores (i.e. The Apple Barn) and go into the mall from there. Well before you enter that store and even before you go into the mall from there, there is NO sign anywhere listed prohibiting guns. I worked for the Apple Barn for 3 years about 2 1/2 years ago and there was never such a sign posted and yet we had numerous people enter and exit through that store. So, my question is, is it still prohibited?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest nraforlife

This was discussed at some length in a previous thread. Opry Mills was/is improperly posted. We used to have a lunatic here in this forum whom was going to inform Opry Mills of their error and help them with the correct verbage and signs. The most that they can do is ask you to leave and then have you arrested for trespassing if you do not do so immediately. Now if it is properly posted thats a different story

Guest benchpresspower

ok ok not trying to stir up anything lol. crap is getting so bad down there now I try to avoid it like the plague

Guest nraforlife
ok ok not trying to stir up anything lol. crap is getting so bad down there now I try to avoid it like the plague

Your fine, its just that this particular shopping center was the subject of ALOT of BS posting from one knucklehead. The shiite just would not die not matter how hard we tried. :confused:

Bottom line is that Opry Mills is not properly posted, unless the above mentioned arsewipe got them stirred up, and the most that could happen to you is that you are told to leave - if so GET OUT RIGHT THEN you could get arrested for trespassing. Make sure you and your wife/girlfriend/other have charged cell phones and that you have the car keys. If your wife/girlfriend/other has a poor understanding of English your on your own.

Only advice is to carry well concealed if you go....

Edited by nraforlife

Others have covered Opry Mills so won't go there.

The genreal rule of thumb is....

If place is improperly posted you do not break any law if you carry there, however if you are made you more than likely will be asked to leave. If you don't leave you can be charged with criminal trespass.

If a place is propely posted however and you carry there, then you have broke the law at that moment, even if you are not asked to leave.

Guest jeff!

now correct me if im wrong please but i was told this by another officer... I thought it was a criminal offense only if it was posted with the TCA code in places such as government offices etc etc etc and if it was posted with one of these sings like No guns allowed blah blah it was only a civil offense and they can only ask you to leave and if you refuse then you face the trespassing charges etc...

Am i mistaken here on the acutal TCA posting and the other sings that just say no guns allowed?

Guest bkelm18

I believe it is a misdemeanor if you carry in a place that has been posted properly. If you carry in a place that isn't posted properly, you are not breaking the law but will be charged with trespass if you are asked to leave and don't.

I believe it is a misdemeanor if you carry in a place that has been posted properly. If you carry in a place that isn't posted properly, you are not breaking the law but will be charged with trespass if you are asked to leave and don't.

That is correct. Class B I think. Punishable by a fine of up to $500. If you carry in a place with a properly posted sign per 39-17-1359.

As far as other places off limits by statute some are Class B & A misdemeanor (alcohol for onsite consumption and parks), Schools and rooms where judicial proceedings are taking place are Class E felonies.

Not sure what he could have meant by a civil charge.

Here is an AG Opinion that talks a little bit about signs.

Guest bulletproof

I'm acquainted with the head of security at Hickory Hollow and at Cool Springs. The rule at both malls is "no weapons" even though it isn't posted. Anyone caught carrying will be asked to leave and if they don't leave, they will be charged with trespassing. Class C Misdemeanor? The private security guards will not approach anyone suspected of carrying but will instead call a uniformed police officer stationed in the mall to deal with it. One of the malls may be posting signs soon so if one of them posts I would think that both malls would post signs and it would probably include Rivergate. It will be interesting to see if they actually post signs and if the signs are correct and on all the entrances.

I didn't do what knucklehead did. :eek: I simply asked what the policy was during some normal business activity and didn't persue it further.

Guest nraforlife
I have yet to see proper posting or be caught. :D:)

Yup, here in my area I see improper posting eveywhere. As a result I carry about everywhere, highly concealed in a Bear Claw tuckable or a 5.11 style undershirt, that isn't on the books as being verboten.

I've always wondered if they could make the argument that the "main entrance" was posted therefore any auxiliary entrances (anchor stores) wouldn't have to be posted.

discuss.

Guest db99wj

I'm sure the law nerds are on their way with their quoting of law, but I believe that it states that ALL entrances must be properly posted.