Selling private party @ gun show

Sam1

Turns out 40% #  by BHO on Wednesday was total BS.

pre-ban / pre-NICS 1994, 250 people polled.

John Lott numbers were in single digits and he is of the opinion that they have dropped

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/337958/gun-sales-and-background-checks-obamas-bogus-40-percent-stat-john-fund

Good article!  Thanks for sharing!  Quite interesting where that 40% figure came from!

Are the names Jesse Mathews and Chattanooga Police Sergent Tim Chapin familiar to you gregintenn?  Mathews, an escaped felon from a halfway house, traded three stolen pistols for a rifle at a Chattanooga gun show (off paper).  Mathews had this rifle with him when he killed Tim Chapin in a robbery attempt.  There are currently two different trials that are going on or just ended trying multiple individuals for selling large numbers off paper/no license (we are talking 100's of firearms) in Southeast Tennessee.   A lot of these sales and contacts for sales were made at gun shows.  I am sure all of these firearms went to law abiding citizens and no criminals.  Right!!

The car trunk gun unlicensed gun dealer is live and well at gun shows.  It needs to be stopped.

The "car trunk unlicensed gun dealer" is ALREADY breaking existing law. Shooting Chapin is also ALREADY against current law, as is a felon owning a firearm. What in hell's oven makes you think ANOTHER law would discourage these criminals?

I'm all for stopping these guys just as you are. I just can't follow the logic that thinks while these guys won't obey existing law, a new law would really nail them. How about we do a better job of enforcing existing laws and prosecuting criminals?

Making things harder on you and me isn't going to prevent crime!!!

So you all are saying you don't care if you put firearms in criminals hands?  "IT'S NOT MY PROBLEM". You all don't mind facilitating criminals and others who can't get weapons throught legal means?  Just sell them to the first person that comes along with money in hand because you want the next latest and the greatest firearm "NOW".  Adopt an attitude of its not me selling to the first person that comes along that is the part of the problem (even if the person buying the gun is a felon, druggy, has mental problems, etc.).  These are attitudes that have contributed to this fiasco of possibly having ridiculous gun laws/gun banning/registration, etc. forced upon lawful gun owners.  As we all know, criminals will get firearms from different sources.  The law abiding  legitimate gun owner needs to insure that they are not one source of supply to criminals and others that should not legally have firearms.  BUT THEN AGAIN, "IT'S NOT MY RESPONSIBILITY". 

So you all are saying you don't care if you put firearms in criminals hands?  "IT'S NOT MY PROBLEM". You all don't mind facilitating criminals and others who can't get weapons throught legal means?  Just sell them to the first person that comes along with money in hand because you want the next latest and the greatest firearm "NOW".  Adopt an attitude of its not me selling to the first person that comes along that is the part of the problem (even if the person buying the gun is a felon, druggy, has mental problems, etc.).  These are attitudes that have contributed to this fiasco of possibly having ridiculous gun laws/gun banning/registration, etc. forced upon lawful gun owners.  As we all know, criminals will get firearms from different sources.  The law abiding  legitimate gun owner needs to insure that they are not one source of supply to criminals and others that should not legally have firearms.  BUT THEN AGAIN, "IT'S NOT MY RESPONSIBILITY". 

NO, He is saying that he is following the law to the letter. Criminals don't. How long has murder been illegal?

That certainly hasn't stopped the violence. If criminals can't buy guns--THEY STEAL THEM!!!! THEY ARE CRIMINALS--WTF do they care?!?!?

If you think universal background checks will stop criminals from owning a firearm, you'll belive that i am riding a unicorn to work tomorrow........

Edited by Parrothead
  • Like 1

And to keep harping on the obvious: all of this has come to a head because of Sandy Hook (plus the other mass shootings).

Note that in zero of the mass shootings from Columbine on did the perps buy their guns in personal sales.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 1

What should be happening here is an enforcement of the existing laws.  It is illegal to sell to a felon, and generally a bad idea to sell to someone who seems shady.  I've seen this happen first hand at gun shows.  In fact, I was recently at one where a few "thuggish" looking guys were looking into purchasing several of the cheapest guns that a vendor had, making it a point to want to see what the cheapest 9mm handguns were and asking if they would have to do a background check.  Would you sell to them?  I would like to believe there are undercover agents at these shows that are rolling folks up on the way out the door, but I doubt that happens.  If existing laws were enforced then we wouldn't have to worry about punishing law abiding folks. 

An OS makes a good point about the catalyst in all this.  These firearms used in mass shootings were either legally purchased or stolen.  In either case, taking away my ability to transfer private property to another resident of my state would not have prevented these crimes.  On a grander scale, we have gangland shootings which account for so much of the violence we see splashed across the papers.  I am willing to bet that none of those individuals legally purchased those firearms, and the folks who sold to them knew they were felons... most likely family members or close associates.  This is already illegal to do, so I don't see how restricting law abiding folks further will have any impact on this.

The answer, as always, enforce existing laws in order to reduce crime.  Stop making laws that only law abiding people will abide by to make up for the lack of enforcement.

You're right, It's NOT my responsibility. I am not law enforcement. I will attempt to obey the law to the best of my ability. I expect the same of you.

Do you remember a year or two back when meth was the big news item? We HAD to do something! Well, now it is like getting a mortgage to purchase sinus medicine, and I still see just as many, if not more, arrests in our local paper each week for meth. We did something, but did it help? It forced another inconvenience on you and me, but little else.

My point is that criminals will be criminals, and if they want a gun, they'll get a gun.They can break in your house and get one if that is the easiest route available to them. Let's deal with the criminals and not the tool.

• Like 1

It’s not being short sighted; its being a former cop and seeing situations go south. biggrin.gif

If a cop knocks on my door and tells me he has a gun that was traced to me; I’m going to be able to give him the name and address of who I sold it to. I tell people right up front they have to show me a TN Driver’s license or an HCP.

The only one that knows you are a Tennessee resident and are not a convicted felon is you. But if I’m going to be in a courtroom trying to convince a jury I didn’t know you were a felon or that you were from another state, you can bet I won’t be telling them I don’t know his name because he didn’t want to give it.

Transferring a firearm is something most people won’t take lightly. If people are sketchy…. Walk away.

Whole heartily agree!!!. When I have sold a gun I ask for a photocopy of buyers TNHCP and sign the BOS from this site. If buyer is not willingly to supply photocopy or fill out and sign BOS, then I will not sell to them.... Especially theses days, I want that extra layer of security. 

Whole heartily agree!!!. When I have sold a gun I ask for a photocopy of buyers TNHCP and sign the BOS from this site. If buyer is not willingly to supply photocopy or fill out and sign BOS, then I will not sell to them.... Especially theses days, I want that extra layer of security. 

This thread is certainly making it easier to figure out who not to try and do business with...

• Like 2