Selling private party @ gun show

Sam1

As far as a gun show sale between private parties, what's the usual process? I usually have sold to family/close friends before so I'd do up a bill of sale and that's it.

Do you all do one of those and jot down the DL or HCP #, or photocopy it? I need some kind of record to CYA, but not sure what the norm is.

As far as a gun show sale between private parties, what's the usual process? I usually have sold to family/close friends before so I'd do up a bill of sale and that's it.

Do you all do one of those and jot down the DL or HCP #, or photocopy it? I need some kind of record to CYA, but not sure what the norm is.

They are just like any other private sale. You handle it how you see fit. Filling out of paperwork is not required. If you want to trade information, more power to you. If not, that's OK, too.

Edited by TripleDigitRide
  • Like 1

It’s not a “Gun show sale” it’s a private sale.

If I do a bill of sale….Two copies of the bill of sale. We both sign each copy. I keep one and they keep one. Sometimes I just need to see proof of residence and age.

• Like 1
You just have to be clear about the requirements before the meet. If I require a DL or HCP, that means I’m going to write down the info from it. I’m not selling to anyone that’s afraid of information exchange. But that’s made clear before we waste our time.

You just have to be clear about the requirements before the meet. If I require a DL or HCP, that means I’m going to write down the info from it. I’m not selling to anyone that’s afraid of information exchange. But that’s made clear before we waste our time.

I think "afraid of information exchange" is a short sighted view of it. I'm not in a habit of sharing personal information with people I don't know. I don't give my driver's license when I pay cash for a box of ammo at the gun store. That's no more illegal than it is for me to make a private firearm purchase. If you want to see my HCP to verify that I've been through a background check and am legal to own a firearm that's fine but if you want to write down my personal info it's not happening.

• Like 2

I think "afraid of information exchange" is a short sighted view of it. I'm not in a habit of sharing personal information with people I don't know. I don't give my driver's license when I pay cash for a box of ammo at the gun store. That's no more illegal than it is for me to make a private firearm purchase. If you want to see my HCP to verify that I've been through a background check and am legal to own a firearm that's fine but if you want to write down my personal info it's not happening.

It’s not being short sighted; its being a former cop and seeing situations go south. biggrin.gif

If a cop knocks on my door and tells me he has a gun that was traced to me; I’m going to be able to give him the name and address of who I sold it to. I tell people right up front they have to show me a TN Driver’s license or an HCP.

The only one that knows you are a Tennessee resident and are not a convicted felon is you. But if I’m going to be in a courtroom trying to convince a jury I didn’t know you were a felon or that you were from another state, you can bet I won’t be telling them I don’t know his name because he didn’t want to give it.

Transferring a firearm is something most people won’t take lightly. If people are sketchy…. Walk away.

• Like 1

Private sales in the future need to be run through some form of background check.  Particularly at gun shows.   The parking lot dealers and unlicensed individual selling lots of firearms indescriminently are causing a lot of the problems.

Superposed

NRA Patron Member

Can someone please clarify for me what exactly *is* required by Tennessee law for a private sale?  I had a district attorney once tell me that a Bill of Sale was required but have since heard otherwise.

Can someone please clarify for me what exactly *is* required by Tennessee law for a private sale?  I had a district attorney once tell me that a Bill of Sale was required but have since heard otherwise.

Only that you have no reason to believe that the buyer is a resident of a different state or is ineligible to legally buy or own a firearm for any other reason.

- under 18

- felony conviction

- misdemeanor domestic violence conviction

- adjudicated crazy

- guilty of stalking

- under a restraining order

- dishonorably discharged from military

- anything else I've forgotten about

This satisfies the minimum of both federal and state law (right now at least).

However, to not actually verify that they at least appear to be a TN resident by glancing at a DL seems unwise to me.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

Private sales in the future need to be run through some form of background check.  Particularly at gun shows.   The parking lot dealers and unlicensed individual selling lots of firearms indescriminently are causing a lot of the problems.

Superposed

NRA Patron Member

rubbish.

It has no impact on a criminal obtaining a weapon.

• Like 5

Superposed

NRA Patron Member

I challenge you to provide any evidence, stats, studies, or links to support your claim. I do not believe it.

I've been through more d@mned background checks than the entire population of a good sized city. None have found anything wrong, and neither will the next one. The $10 a pop is what it is all about. It is already illegal for several classes of citizens to own a firearm. Many of these people choose to break laws. Don't you reckon they'd break yet another law if it were in their path?

I used to enjoy trading guns. There were several of us who'd trade among ourselves regularly. All of us owned multiple guns, and have bought from ffls in the past, and been exposed to the NICS check. Except for robbing us of more tax dollars, a check with each trade would accomplish nothing.

Are the names Jesse Mathews and Chattanooga Police Sergent Tim Chapin familiar to you gregintenn?  Mathews, an escaped felon from a halfway house, traded three stolen pistols for a rifle at a Chattanooga gun show (off paper).  Mathews had this rifle with him when he killed Tim Chapin in a robbery attempt.  There are currently two different trials that are going on or just ended trying multiple individuals for selling large numbers off paper/no license (we are talking 100's of firearms) in Southeast Tennessee.   A lot of these sales and contacts for sales were made at gun shows.  I am sure all of these firearms went to law abiding citizens and no criminals.  Right!!

The car trunk gun unlicensed gun dealer is live and well at gun shows.  It needs to be stopped.

Are the names Jesse Mathews and Chattanooga Police Sergent Tim Chapin familiar to you gregintenn?  Mathews, an escaped felon from a halfway house, traded three stolen pistols for a rifle at a Chattanooga gun show (off paper).  Mathews had this rifle with him when he killed Tim Chapin in a robbery attempt.  There are currently two different trials that are going on or just ended trying multiple individuals for selling large numbers off paper/no license (we are talking 100's of firearms) in Southeast Tennessee.   A lot of these sales and contacts for sales were made at gun shows.  I am sure all of these firearms went to law abiding citizens and no criminals.  Right!!

The car trunk gun unlicensed gun dealer is live and well at gun shows.  It needs to be stopped.

Well it's illegal to escape from prison too but that didn't stop him. He already had three stolen pistols in his possession based on your facts. It is illegal to steal weapons. See where I am going with this...

So, who's responsibility is it when someone pulls the trigger? Is it the person who sold the weapon? Or, is it the person pulling it?

The problem with the premise is the law makes a criminal out of a person selling something, whether it is a gun or a pack of gum.

Responsible people are lumped into the criminal aspect, all in the name of preventing crime, when the crime would most likely be

committed anyway. Once upon a time there weren't even serial numbers on firearms. They were still only tools at that time. Now,

they are the crime, not the tool that a human being caused, by an act of volition, to cause it. In essence, other human beings have

been dragged into being criminals because of another human being's act.

By putting the serial number on the firearm, we have accepted registration, a long time ago. We just accepted some of the responsibility

of the criminal's act. That stinks enough for me. And now, like a liberal, you want to personalize the issue by putting a name and a

face to make me, who had nothing to do with it, somehow feel responsible. The gun is only a tool. You make decisions all day long.

I can't sit around and watch every decision you make. I have enough of a time taking care of my own business. I felt bad enough

for the cop. I don't need you telling me how to live my life, though.

Leave the emotions out of the issue, please.

I understand that, but it is what we in Tennessee have today. Assuming federal law requires it, don't you figure there will be a fee (fine/tax) associated with it as well?

Who knows. The way this admin operates, they might just allocate a few billion Chinese dollars per year to pay FFLs for the service. Or better, make a whole new division of functionaries to do it for free -- you know, another "job creation program", and what good progressive would fault that?

- OS