David! How 'bout a little warning next time?

• Administrator

I just hope Tapatalk is back soon. I'm using the mobile site and it's killin' me.

Don't hold your breath.  Tapatalk is a horrible piece of software from the server-side and not likely to return unless they get their stuff together.

• 4 weeks later...

So, I noticed there was a Tapatalk update - does this mean it will be compatible with the new software now?  Can we flip the switch and give it a try?  :x: Fingers crossed, hoping.... praying.... please work, please work, please work.

Don't hold your breath.  Tapatalk is a horrible piece of software from the server-side and not likely to return unless they get their stuff together.

What amazes me about tapatalk is how great works on my vbullitin board, compared to how badly it seems to tax the server here, yet on my SFM board it's only mediocre, lacking almost all the admin features present in the vb version. If they could make the admin side of it half as polished and stable as the client side across platforms I would like it a lot more.

Tapatalk's developers focus a very large amount of their time on the VB version.

Yeah and while I pretty much get that, I still expect them to at least try and keep the other versions functional. Our SMF board was without it for period of about 6 months about a year back b/c of an Issue with the image hosting they added. To me if you can't add a new feature without breaking the software, then you shouldn't add the feature. Though judging from the lack of progress on the SMF side since then I believe they've figured that out finally. :)

• Administrator

I'm honestly very torn on the merits of Tapatalk.  From the perspective of an end-user, I do like what it brings to the user interface.  But from the perspective of a forum admin, I also see where it omits a lot of the extra features that we can add to IPB to improve the experience and add value to the site for the members.

For example, when we used the excellent Classifieds add-on for the forum, Tapatalk didn't support it and wouldn't render the pages properly.  We ditched the Classifieds in favor of Tapatalk.

In hindsight, I should have done it the other way around.

• Like 1
The features I loved about Tapatalk were the "participated" tab at the top that keeps you participated threads easily accessed, as well as the first few lines of the last post on each thread. With that said, I've gotten used to the mobile skin so it's not that bad. If Tapatalk never comes back its not the end of the world.

As for the Classifieds, I think you made the right decision regardless of Tapatalk.