Cherokee National Forrest

Guest UKTN

I know at the moment we are not allowed to carry in the Cherokee National Forest even with the TN HGP, hunting excepted. My question is this, I have some land in Eastern TN that when I drive to it I pass a sign that says "Welcome to the Cherokee National Forrest" even though I am on highway 68 does that mean I have to take my hand gun off at that point? The land next to mine is marked with National Forrest boundary markers so if I turn that way even though I am on a county road am I breaking a law?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought that carry in the C.N.F was fine as long as you didn't enter any of the buildings, which are Federal Land.

Edited by jwp

My understanding is handgun possession is considered evidence of poaching by the Fish and wildlife, so not allowed unless it is a suitable caliber and you have the right hunting licence. But what about the roads are they part of the forrest?

The National Forests are governed by State Law. From what I have seen written as well as have been told is that State law covers the road and Federal law covers the buildings and structures.

Guest db99wj

What about the public road part of it? The park does not maintain that road, thus it is a right away for the public. The property that the road is on, is owned by the DOT, maintained by the DOT, it is not the property of the park, like the roads that are in the park. Pubic roads and highways go through city/county parks, they go through state parks and they go through National parks, do you have to disarm when you go through these? For example, Walnut Grove in Memphis goes through Shelby Farms, which is a city park. Walnut Grove is one of the major east/west througofares in the City. Shelby Farms is on the north side and the south side of Walnut Grove. No one disarms before they go down that road.

So my guess is that you are fine traveling to your private property. I

If it's in the State of Tennessee, and it is a National Forest or State Park you have to disarm.

My crack legal team has just overturned my earlier ruling and statement.

Just to clarify something about Cherokee National Forrest carry, the reason we can not carry there is because it is a Wildlife Management Area and Tennessee code does not allow general carry, even with a permit, in a WMA. Naifeh shot down a bill that would have changed that this year.

Naifeh shot down a bill that would have changed that this year.

Which is yet another reason we should start a grass roots effort to get him replaced as the TN Speaker of the House.

Guest 270win

You can carry a handgun that is legal for whatever is in season on a WMA, if you choose to say hike. I have a hunting license and WMA code on my hunting license (i do hunt). I carry a 22 handgun because different types of small game are in season year round, such as coyotes. Generally, if big game is in season, you can carry a centerfire with at least a four inch barrel. Small game must be rimfire with at least three inch barrel. You do not need a handgun carry permit to carry on WMA while hiking/hunting small game. Check out the TWRA website to see what is in season, get the appropriate license and WMA code, and carry for what is in season.

Altogether to complicated I have a TN HGP and don't want a hunting license. Please forgive my ignorance but who elects this Speaker guy who seems to come up in so many threads as our enemy?