Entry level bolt action

broox

Dolomite

What Savage model are you refering as to get other than the Axis or Edge ? I like to tinker and I am also interested in getting another rifle in a small centerfire caliber . I am guessing you can change barrels within a range of the case head being the same ?

Buying new will probably be what I end up doing because I am looking to get a lefty ?

Not trying to hijack but just get us both a little more info.

You can actually change the bolt heads as well. Takes about 5 minutes to do. I have swapped .473" bolts heads for .378" bolt heads. I have even made .445" bolt heads for a 7.62x39 before Savage started making them.

Any Savage or the Stevens 200 will be a tinkerer's gun. You can tinker with the Axis and Edge as well it is just that there are no aftermarket stocks for them. I actually believe the Axis and Edge receivers are stronger too. Yu can swap the barrels on the Axis and Edge just like any other model but the problem is if you install a heavy barrel you need to take material out of the already flimsy stock.

If someone made a "tactical" style stock for the Axis/Edge I would pick one up. But because you can't find a stock for them the regualr Savage or Stevens 200 is the way to go.

Dolomite

Remingtons are good if you don't plan on swapping calibers or barrels. If you do it will cost a lot of gunsmith time to do it. Take off barrels rarely headspace correctly and to fix that is lathe time.

WIth a Savage you can buy a spare bolt head in another caliber for ~$25. And you can swap the barrel at home in no time. Factory barrels can be had for $125-$200 depending on profile and length. So for ~$150 you can have everything to swap to another caliber with a Savage. With a Remington you are talking about $300+ to do the same and that is if yous stay within the same rim diameter. If you want to change rim diameters add another $150.

I have one Savage action that has been a 223, 300 Blackout, 7.62x39 and 308. And each time I swapped it was about 20 minutes from start to finish.

Nothing wrong with Remington if you never want to change anything other than a stock.

Dolomite