Entry level bolt action

broox

So with all of the AR madness/pandemonium, I am tempted to get a bolt action rifle.  308 maybe?  In a dream world, I would take this thing hunting or to shoot coyotes somwhere, but realistically, I would probably just punch holes in paper a couple of times a year.  Give me some suggestions on brands and caliber.  I look on Bud's, and they have several bolt actions in 223/556.  It would be nice to not have to buy another caliber, but I am not that opposed to it.  Thoughts?

Are you a tinkerer? If so I would say grab a Savage (not the Axis or Edge). They are the centerfire equivalent of the Ruger 10/22. You can swap barrels, and calibers, in under 20 minutes using standard handtools. You do not need headspace gauges either.

Remington is good as well but you cannot swap the barrels, and calibers, as easily or as quickly.

Aftermarket support for both are about equal now.

I have a factory 223 Savage that shoots .4" regularly with handloads and has shot .2" enough to know it isn't a fluke.

If you can find a Stevens 200 they are identical, actually better, to Savages. The only thing they do not have is the accutrigger. Some like the accutrigger and some plan on replacing them with something better.

Dolomite

A savage in 308 is in my short list once the gun grab slows down a bit.  Seems the gun grab has even raised prices on bolt action rifles ....

From my reading, the Accutrigger is actually pretty darn good for a stock trigger :)

Good luck with whatever you decide, and when you get one, don't forget to post pics!

Wow, thanks for the input. 

1. Swapping barrels on a rifle is not that attractive to me, I only want to add one caliber

2.  I would want it to have a synthetic stock, so thanks greg

3.  I don't reload.  I probably won't start anytime soon.

Are the savage axis and edge just too cheap?

Nashville Armory has a ruger american in 308, and it was not wall to wall people tonight, so I handled it a few minutes.

I might look at some pawn shops tomorrow.  Thanks

Edited by broox

So with all of the AR madness/pandemonium, I am tempted to get a bolt action rifle.  308 maybe?  In a dream world, I would take this thing hunting or to shoot coyotes somwhere, but realistically, I would probably just punch holes in paper a couple of times a year.  Give me some suggestions on brands and caliber.  I look on Bud's, and they have several bolt actions in 223/556.  It would be nice to not have to buy another caliber, but I am not that opposed to it.  Thoughts?

If you are looking for an inexpensive big thumper, a mosin is a good buy, ammo is still cheap, guns are still cheap. 

You can find a constant supply of used BAs in various calibers.  

223 BA is not recommended for anything, really.  Facing coyotes, gonna be multiples in a pack, usually at least 3 show at once, and an AR is the way to pop them.   Its too big for small edible game and too weak for large game. Its fine for popping paper on the cheap at shorter ranges (500 or less).   If you want to go there, a 22 LR is fine to 200 yards or so and is even cheaper, or 22 mag is an alternative and you can actually FIND ammo for that...

My best advice though is to get something you can reload (mosin cheap ammo isnt reloadable fyi).   A 308 for example, or a 30-30, or 243 or 30-06.  Or even an oddball caliber if you can find some brass for it.   Then you can make some target ammo that is lower power and cheap to shoot, and either buy one box or make a few loads to hunt big game with.  If you want to hunt smaller game the target loads or even lighter will do.  

The biggest issue with rifle shooting is the $1 and up per shot price of ammo for anything that is not available surplus.  If you want to enjoy the gun, you either need one that shoots cheap surplus ammo or roll your own.  From there, its just finding a gun in your budget.  Remember to budget for a good scope too. 

Wow, thanks for the input. 

1. Swapping barrels on a rifle is not that attractive to me, I only want to add one caliber

2.  I would want it to have a synthetic stock, so thanks greg

3.  I don't reload.  I probably won't start anytime soon.

Are the savage axis and edge just too cheap?

Nashville Armory has a ruger american in 308, and it was not wall to wall people tonight, so I handled it a few minutes.

I might look at some pawn shops tomorrow.  Thanks

Hmm me type too slowly, that came in as I tried the first post.

2. --- this is a strange limitation to your options.  You lose 100% of the milsurps and most of the used guns this way.  If you wanted to buy new that is not important, depends on your budget and needs.  

3) If you do not reload, 22, 223, 22 mag, 308, and mosin are about IT for large quantities of inexpensive ammo.  If that does not matter to you, anything works of course.

The ruger american in 308 sounds like a winner to me. 

You can pick up a Savage Hog Hunter in 308 for about $450 at most of the big sporting good stores. Synthetic stock, free float barrel, accu-trigger, threaded barrel, and comes with iron sights for backup. A great entry level rifle for your intended uses. Especially at that price point.

I +1 to SlapChopDonkey for the Savage Hog Hunter in 308.  Looks like a winner at a decent price. If I had to buy new right now, I think Ruger has a winner in the All American - looks a lot like a Tikka, which is butter smooth.  If you're looking at a 223, then maybe the MVP???  I think that's the Mossberg rifle that accepts AR magazines.  Pretty slick.  I have thinned the herd down to my Browning A-Bolt in 308, and that's fine for both deer and coyotes. :)

+1 on the Savage Edge/Axis.  My dad has one.  1-1.5 MOA with factory ammo.  Sub Moa with handloads.  I'll get .5-.75 on them easily (have to let the barrel cool a bit and no more than 3 'quick shots' or else you do get some stringing with the thin barrel.

I know you don't want to reload (yet. =)  )  but it'll do an inch at 100 yards if you give it GOOD factory ammo.  (Federal Gold, Hornady)

I developed some loads for him.  This is what I finally settled on:

1hxs3c.jpg

Edited by vujade

another than hasn't been mentioned yet are the Howa 1500 rifles.  (308).  I got mine for $400 (new in box/not fired) last year (I believe they are more than that; I just got a little lucky).  It's my hunting gun (or right now, just sit up there and hold it).  The hogue stock is comfy/warm to hold too when sitting for a LONG time not doing anything. 

It's the same rifle (I believe) as the weatherby.  It'll also do about an inch to 1.5 inches at 100 yards with factory rounds.  Better accuracy (for me) than the savage.  

I'd pick it over the savage unless you can't find one; and they aren't as popular/easy to find as the savage. (but if you find one, I wouldn't hesitate).  It's got a really smooth action; it doesn't feel like a cheap stock.

Dolomite

What Savage model are you refering as to get other than the Axis or Edge ? I like to tinker and I am also interested in getting another rifle in a small centerfire caliber . I am guessing you can change barrels within a range of the case head being the same ?

Buying new will probably be what I end up doing because I am looking to get a lefty ?

Not trying to hijack but just get us both a little more info.

If you want a low cost 223, I would look at the Mossberg MVP. Also uses AR mags. I’ve only shot mine a little, but looks good so far.  .223 is lower cost center fire trigger time and can still a decent distance.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/79795/Mossberg+MVP+VAR+20%22+MED+BULL+FLUTED+223+LAM+10RD

In 308 I would look at the Remington 700. I’m a firm believer in the heavy barrels.

This is a good option in a heavy barrel at a decent cost.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/41046/Remington+700+SPS+Synthetic+VAR+308+26

If price isn’t a big issue this is a tack driver. (But it’s heavy)

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/97499/Remington+700+VLS+.308+Varmint+Laminated

Long rage shooting is 50% gun and 50% glass.

I don’t know if Dicks is still selling guns, but around this time of year they run a Remington 700 with a cheap scope on sale for around $449. I looked at it in the store, but I had already bought mine. I think this would be an excellent deal.

+1 on the Savage Edge/Axis.  My dad has one.  1-1.5 MOA with factory ammo.  Sub Moa with handloads.  I'll get .5-.75 on them easily (have to let the barrel cool a bit and no more than 3 'quick shots' or else you do get some stringing with the thin barrel.

I know you don't want to reload (yet. =)  )  but it'll do an inch at 100 yards if you give it GOOD factory ammo.  (Federal Gold, Hornady)

I developed some loads for him.  This is what I finally settled on:

1hxs3c.jpg

Was this a .308?  If so PM me what you found works best in your hand loads.  I've made some subsonic loads for mine but haven't tested loads to increase my accuracy