TN Gun Laws for dummies?

Guest Ranger Rick

OK I am man enough to admit I didn't read thoroughly

I read (A) (:eek: © and saw "The belief of danger is founded upon reasonable grounds"

But I didn't read the following paragraph which pretty much says if they break in you are A-ok to drop them.

(B) (1) Notwithstanding § 39-17-1322, a person who is not engaged in unlawful activity and is in a place where the person has a right to be has no duty to retreat before threatening or using force against another person when and to the degree the person reasonably believes the force is immediately necessary to protect against the other's use or attempted use of unlawful force.

(2) Notwithstanding § 39-17-1322, a person who is not engaged in unlawful activity and is in a place where the person has a right to be has no duty to retreat before threatening or using force intended or likely to cause death or serious bodily injury, if:

(A) The person has a reasonable belief that there is an imminent danger of death or serious bodily injury;

(B) The danger creating the belief of imminent death or serious bodily injury is real, or honestly believed to be real at the time; and

© The belief of danger is founded upon reasonable grounds.

© Any person using force intended or likely to cause death or serious bodily injury within a residence, dwelling or vehicle is presumed to have held a reasonable belief of imminent death or serious bodily injury to self, family, a member of the household or a person visiting as an invited guest, when that force is used against another person, who unlawfully and forcibly enters or has unlawfully and forcibly entered the residence, dwelling or vehicle, and the person using defensive force knew or had reason to believe that an unlawful and forcible entry occurred.

I read (A) (B) © and saw "The belief of danger is founded upon reasonable grounds"

But I didn't read the following paragraph which pretty much says if they break in you are A-ok to drop them.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest db99wj
Actually you don't have to retreat anywhere that you are legally.

The difference when it comes to your home, car, a dwelling and as of tomorrow your business, is that you are presumed to be in fear of death or serious bodily harm if someone forcibly and illegally enters those places.

Ahhh, anywhwere that I am legally allowed to be....forgot about that part. :eek:

• 11 months later...

I'm sure this has been answered before and I apologise in advance but I've tried looking around here and used the search feature, but still haven't found what I'm looking for. Some State buildings have a sign at the door, the kind that simply says no firearms except for LEOs, and the handgun in a circle with a line thru it...I know this sign doesn't meet the standards for private businesses, but can you carry in places like the employment office, etc? I have seen the restrictions on recreational facilities...but really am concerned about this. Thanks for the guidance...

I'm sure this has been answered before and I apologise in advance but I've tried looking around here and used the search feature, but still haven't found what I'm looking for. Some State buildings have a sign at the door, the kind that simply says no firearms except for LEOs, and the handgun in a circle with a line thru it...I know this sign doesn't meet the standards for private businesses, but can you carry in places like the employment office, etc? I have seen the restrictions on recreational facilities...but really am concerned about this. Thanks for the guidance...

Goverment buildings (except federal) are not automatically off-limits. The must post.

The one difference between goverment buildings and privately owned places is when the law was amended on July 1, 2000.

When it was amended it said that any posting by a govermental entity that was already posted and was in "substanial compliance" with 39-17-1359(a) could continue to be used.

So while I feel I know what is a legal and non-legal posting for privately owned property, I don't think I woud risk carry in a goverment building that had any type of posting where the intention to ban firearms was clear.

Guest Bluemax

Ranger Rick

Anyone with the avatar like yours is gonna do just fine. It's amazing how much a little common sense can go towards doing the right thing and staying within the current laws. I'm local so PM me if you have any specific questions about Knoxville. I can't promise I will know the answer but I promise I will try and get it for you.

Just curious if you were a fan of old westerns, I watched a really interesting show about Clayton Moore ( The Lone Ranger ) on the history channel this morning, if you can't find a relisting for it to come back on let me know and I'll try and help

Thanks a bunch. Most State facilities that I have seen are simply posted with that sign I mentioned in my other post, not the one stipulated by law. I was afraid there was something I may have missed. I appreciate you clearing this up for me.

Goverment buildings (except federal) are not automatically off-limits. The must post.

The one difference between goverment buildings and privately owned places is when the law was amended on July 1, 2000.

When it was amended it said that any posting by a govermental entity that was already posted and was in "substanial compliance" with 39-17-1359(a) could continue to be used.

So while I feel I know what is a legal and non-legal posting for privately owned property, I don't think I woud risk carry in a goverment building that had any type of posting where the intention to ban firearms was clear.