S&W Shotgun, 1100 model, I think...?

My daughter's boyfriend owns one, and it's supposed to be an autoloader, right? It doesn't. It goes bang, but doesn't cycle. Have to manually operate the action for every shot. Any idea what COULD be wrong, and what kind of money he might be looking at spending to get it repaired?

Outside of ammunition, it could be as simple as replacing the Barrel Seal (O ring). I shoot with two on the tube with no problem.

Some shooters find they have more success using the old style Piston & Piston Seal assembly. Maybe a friend has one you can try off an older gun.

Try cleaning the two little holes on the barrel using a small drill bit. Clears out any buildup.

Before you start replacing parts, the first question is are you shooting the 1100 wet or dry?

Some peoples idea of wet is swimming pool wet and obviously in excess. Cut back on the liquids, especially in cold weather.

I shoot my 1100's dry, but with a coating of Breakfree.

I follow the directions listed on the container of Breakfree and give a final wipe down just prior to assembly.

I've learned that a little (very little) goes a long way. I just place some on a finger tip and apply in that manner. Use a rag if you prefer. I would not spray.

Two or three times a year you need to drop the trigger and give it a cleaning.

Usually you can get away with just a good wipe down of the trigger group without having to soak it. If you see any buildup it needs to be removed, but don't over do it in regard to lubricant. I had a 1100 a few years ago that was driving me crazy as it would not cycle properly, even after changing out parts. My friend Bob Howard told me to clean the trigger. The gun worked flawlessly the next time out.

You have a spring in the stock and one in the magazine. If you've owned an 1100 for a number of years and all of a sudden problems, the springs may be the cause.

I would first replace the one in the stock. Reached only after removing the pad. Give the area the spring sits a cleaning while your at it.

After replacing the spring in the stock you may have to shoot 4-6 boxes to break it in. Serious clay target shooters may want to consider a yearly replacement.

The experts can have you try a few other things, but hopefully you won't have too.

The 1100 was made by Remington

Dave S

If its an 1100 (or even if its not, most auto shotguns are just the browning design copy anyway) there are 2 holes in the barrel (or one, maybe, in some designs??)  about 1/2 way down the barrel.  These are small holes, but important.   If they are full of crud, take piece of copper wire and clean them out.  They are on the stock/down side of the barrel, the underside, whatever you want to call it.

Also the slots in the rings should not be in the same place.  I offset mine 180 degrees but they just cannot align.

Very light ammo can be a problem but usually all slugs work 100%.    READ the barrel.  If it is rated for MAGNUM shells, regular shells may not cycle the gun. 

Edited by Jonnin
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest marysfrend

clean the crud out of it and dont oil it,I have cleaned Model 58  Remingtons with the same problem,  i own a 20 ga Model 1000 SW never had a problem, KEEP IT CLEAN

Lot of good info here already. This is restating others posts. With any gas operated shotgun, the first stop should be cleaning the gas ports, some probably have never been cleaned and can eventually clog up completely. While its disassembled check the port seals. They can dry rot and clog the ports. It's easy. Just google a disassembly of the specific model. And break it down and investigate.

If my mind hasn't totally clouded over, the S&W shotguns were Japanese made and imported under the Smith brand.  Their Model 1000 was an autoloader, the Model 3000 was a pump.  I owned one of the 3000's in riot configuration and it handled better and was much smoother than my dept's issued 870's.  I had a chance to shoot the 1000 at a writer's seminar in Texas....their "Super Skeet" model that had a ported barrel.  With skeet loads the recoil was almost nil.  It was, IMO, the best skeet shotgun I ever fired.  

I have a friend that owns a 1100 that does just as you described. He took it to a Gunsmith and was told "Shoot 3" shells in it"

Apparently this is a known issue with the 1100's . Indeed if you shoot 3" shells in it. It will cycle. But finding 3" 7-1/2 is not easy.

So it is pretty much now a duck and turkey gun.

I hope you figure it out, As he hasn't been able to again.