Good progress I'm 3D Printing [video]

Guest Razz

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="cardcutter" post="883742" timestamp="1358097535"]Facinating. I wonder how ell they hold up. I also wonder aboout the cost.[/quote] My guess is that they are not ideal. However, as with all new tech, you have to start somewhere... [quote name="Slpeod" post="883773" timestamp="1358099992"]2K for the printer.. so many possibilities.[/quote] Indeed. We're not far off from this kind of thing being commonplace.
Guest cardcutter

If this sort of thing ever gets to be common place, they can kiss gun controll goodbye. Hell just about any controlled object will be hard to keep out of the peoples hands.

Guest Lester Weevils

If this sort of thing ever gets to be common place, they can kiss gun controll goodbye. Hell just about any controlled object will be hard to keep out of the peoples hands.

Yep, Alabama will have a heck of a time banning sex toys! :) Print em right there on the farm.

If'n I ever finish the house remodel, here is an interesting project I might find time to persue, not requiring lots of money--

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RepRap_Project

http://www.reprap.org/wiki/Main_Page

http://vimeo.com/5202148

But if I could lay hands on some more money in retirement when I have the time too fool with it, a modest turnkey CNC mill would make more things I'd be interested in making than a plastic printer.

Some things printable are near impossible with a mill however. Kinda like, a table plotter can make precision line drawings bigger and more accurate than the typical laser printer, but best not try to use the table plotter to reproduce a fine photograph. :) Now the following example isn't exactly a practical tool or implement, but beats heck out of me how somebody could make it with a mill--

IMG_2413_preview_featured.jpg

What I don't know is the strength of the metal product. What could you print and have actually hold up on say a 1968 Buick? Sure you could make an emblem badge, or a power window switch, but what about a piston arm or exhaust header or steering linkage?

Even if you can't make the tough stuff today, the time is probably coming when you can. AutoZone won't need to stock a bazillion parts. Just the most common ones and a couple of 3D printers.

Edited by monkeylizard
Guest Lester Weevils

What I don't know is the strength of the metal product. What could you print and have actually hold up on say a 1968 Buick? Sure you could make an emblem badge, or a power window switch, but what about a piston arm or exhaust header or steering linkage?

Even if you can't make the tough stuff today, the time is probably coming when you can. AutoZone won't need to stock a bazillion parts. Just the most common ones and a couple of 3D printers.

Yep, good points.

If you could print carbon fiber it might not do a piston arm but might make a heck of a bumper.

Some strength issues might be addressed by future designs that are not practical to make with casting or machining? That 120 face plastic dodecahedron above, maybe am guessing wrong but I bet you could stand on that thing without crushing it. Compound triangles am strong. Long ago I built a few small geodesic domes and its surprising how strong even if made of sticks and quarter inch plywood.

Edited by Lester Weevils