Mowhark Armory buffer tube

NoBanStan

I got all excited because my Magpul furniture started arriving yesterday.  Tried to change out the buttstock and it won't fit! After a quick search online I determined it's a commercial buffer tube on my supposed mil spec rifle. On closer looking at the mohawkarmory.com site though I notice that they say that the "lower" is mil spec. Tried to contact the owner but no answer.

Anyone else have a rifle from Mohawk and can shed any light on the topic? I ordered everything mil spec because I was under the assumption entire rifle would be that way.

Also, can I just order a mil spec buffer tube and replace it? It would be easier on me than returning and reordering the commercial stock.

Apologies if this is a newbie question but, well... i'm a newbie to this rifle.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

The lower being milspec has zero to do with the buffer tube. If it was a milspec buffer tube they would have mentioned it. By default a buffer tube will be commercial unless it says milspec. I always buy commercial stocks because they will fit both a milspec tube and a commercial tube.

You can order and replace the buffer tube but I suspect you will have a wait as most parts are tied up right now because of the increase in demand.

The vast majority of guns being produced today have commercial buffer tubes rather than milspec. And for this reason there are more commercial stocks on the market than milspec ones.

Milspec does not mean they are top quality. It just means they made a "D" or better on their report card which is what is needed to pass. I have used and abused both and have never had either fail me. Some people think that milspec guarantees it will be better than something that isn't milspec but that is not the case. Milspec is what is required to meet the standards in the Technical Data Package for a given item. Some of the best items for an AR is not milspec. Monolithic uppers are not milspec, Pmags are not or at least weren't milspec and Noveske SS barrels are not milspec even though they outperform milspec items. Melonite treatment of barrels is much better than chrome lining but melonite is not milspec, at least not yet.

Dolomite

The lower being milspec has zero to do with the buffer tube. If it was a milspec buffer tube they would have mentioned it. By default a buffer tube will be commercial unless it says milspec. I always buy commercial stocks because they will fit both a milspec tube and a commercial tube.

You can order and replace the buffer tube but I suspect you will have a wait as most parts are tied up right now because of the increase in demand.

The vast majority of guns being produced today have commercial buffer tubes rather than milspec. And for this reason there are more commercial stocks on the market than milspec ones.

Milspec does not mean they are top quality. It just means they made a "D" or better on their report card which is what is needed to pass. I have used and abused both and have never had either fail me. Some people think that milspec guarantees it will be better than something that isn't milspec but that is not the case. Milspec is what is required to meet the standards in the Technical Data Package for a given item. Some of the best items for an AR is not milspec. Monolithic uppers are not milspec, Pmags are not or at least weren't milspec and Noveske SS barrels are not milspec even though they outperform milspec items. Melonite treatment of barrels is much better than chrome lining but melonite is not milspec, at least not yet.

Dolomite

Thanks

Yea i didn't go with milspec for a specific reason other than I though that's what the rifle required. I also didn't realize that commercial was the the default, thanks for the lesson. In this case i'll probably just order a milspec buffer tube online since return shipping and reordering will probably cost about the same.