Advice for Someone Thining About Starting to Handload/Reload

Folks-

I'm becoming more and more interested in handloading and reloading my own ammo.  I have never done it before, and I have not bought any supplies or equipment as of yet.  However, it seems like it would really interest me, as well as make my shooting hobby more affordable in the long run.

I have read through a lot of threads in this section of the forums, and I have a book on the way that was suggested in one of the 'pinned' threads, ABCs of Reloading. I'm really looking forward to diving into that book.

I'm primarily interested in loading .223/5.56 as well as 9mm. That might expand to shotgun shells someday, but I'm more interested in the calibers mentioned.

I have no doubt that I'll get any supplies through David, as most of you do-

My main questions would be, what suggestions would you folks, who are experienced in the art, have for someone like me who is looking to get started?  Any golden nuggets of information I should keep in mind, or pitfalls to be aware of? Good brands of equipment vs. not so good (that may be subjective at least to a point)?  Anything I should know or do before I buy equipment?

Also, are there any handloading/reloading 'classes' around I might be able to attend?

I consider myself to be a reasonably bright person, and I'm confident that I'll be able to get the hang of loading safe and reliable rounds, but never having done it before, it is somewhat intimidating simply because there seems to be so much to know and learn-  almost like learning a foreign language.

Thanks folks-  lots of questions, I know, but I appreciate whatever responses you may have-

Read that manual first. Then make a wishlist. Get on here and ask questions as needed. Were you closer, I'd be happy for you to come here and walk you through the process. I expect there are some on here that are closer who would do the same.

Reloading supplies are in short supply right now, just like ammo. When this happens, it seems primers are the most elusive components.

You'll find some who badmouth Lee products because they are less expensive than other brands. A lot of these people have never used them. I've had great luck with most Lee products, and actually prefer their dies to other brands.

There is a myriad of videos on youtube on reloading. Many are worth watching. Once you get your dies and whatever you use for powder measuring set up properly, as well as deciding on a particular load, there isn't much more to it than pulling a handle. 

I have about as much interest in handloading as I do in guns.

Edited by gregintenn
I am far from an expert on reloading. Been loading 9mm and 45 for about 4 months. Just started getting set up for 223. I use mostly Dillon products and can say they work very well. I know others that use Lee and Hornady and are very happy with their setup.

I too was intimidated. I started collecting brass about 6 months ago but took another 2 months to talk myself into actually doing it. I spent the next 2 weeks researching equipment and components then once I placed my order I spent the next week reading all I could about the process. Once I fired my first test load of 30 rounds and they all worked It gave me a huge confidence boost. I now load 3-4 hundred at a time with complete confidence.

My only regret is that I didn't start sooner.

There are many old threads on this site about it, what equipment and so on.  If you need more, ask, but read those!

Don't be intimidated.  The details can bog you down but really, you poke in a primer, put in the amount of powder that it says in your book, shove a bullet on top.  Details matter, but its really not much more than this in the grand scheme of things.  

Guest Fruit jar

I have my uncles Lee C frame with everything he had with it. When I was a kid and at his house. If he was loading, He would oil and grease it down, work the handle a few times then wipe the extra off. Take the dies a part and wash them in paint thinner or gas. Then put them in a can of oil for a few minutes, then wipe them clean. Put them together and back into their box. Lube and clean the press again before covering it. Sometimes he would say, I haven't used the press in a few months. He would lube and clean it before covering it for the next time. I don't know the age of some of these dies and press. They all look new.

I am about a month ahead of you regarding reloading 223 and commpon pistol calibers.  Here are couple of posts of others with the same or similiar question that I have followed:

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/topic/56167-good-reloading-starter-kit/

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/topic/57100-wanting-maybe-needing-to-start-reloading/

BTW I just finished decapping my 1000 piece of LC brass.  Great time spent in my reload den, I can see how this can quickly become a great past time for me.

Guest parris001

My advice, keep it simple. I still have the same RCBS single stage press and manual scales I started out with. I recently looked into getting a progressive but it looked like my finished product may suffer going the automated route. 

I'll do from 50-200 rounds of handgun ammo at a time. I'm not in any hurry. Usually just out at the work bench with the radio playing and some good aromatic tobacco in my pipe. 

From a  safety standpoint I keep a journal. Of all the details involved in loading any particular round. And I keep a slip of paper in each finished box of rounds that tells what the round is and the date they were loaded. For instance, the tag may read 38S01. Those are 38 Special rounds, and the very first recipe I ever did. As I have progressed over the years with adding more powder or changing to another powder all together I have added 38S02 and 38S03. 

I start loads at 80% of recommended powder and will move up to 90 or even 95%. I don't think I've loaded a round at 100% in the 13 years I've been doing it. 

And never do anything that just don't seem right. I was loading some 357 Sig rounds the other night and it called for 10.2 grains Power Pistol. I had powder in about 6 cases and realized something just didn't seem right. That little voice told me to stop. I took a step back and looked, and I had my mechanical scales set up at 12.0 instead of 10.2. Never ignore that little voice if he's always proved to be a reliable friend.

I'm fairly new at this (I started about 6 months ago) but I'll share my experience.

I had the reloading stuff for a good month or 2 before I loaded my first round.  I'm just careful like that and I didn't see a rush.  I watched a ton of youtube videos.  Read at least 2 manuals.  Read stuff in each bullet/powder company's website. and of course, the good (there are bad ones too) in posts in gun forums. 

Ask a lot of questions but before you ask, research it first (and then I ask almost as a last step/sanity check). (you learn a lot from just reading what others have posted).

I load them SLOW.  I have a dillon 550 but I might as well have a single stage press (but that's ok, I like to handload, why rush it?)   I may process brass in bulk (clean, flash hole prep, prime, etc.) but I load them one at a time.  I hand weigh each round and then put a bullet in there (instead of charge each round, put them in a tray and then load them with bullets all together).  I know many will see this as inefficient but this makes it so that I never will double charge a case.  Sometimes why wife will call me to take out the trash but I'll say, "hold on" and make sure I finish what I'm doing before I leave the bench. 

I also got some mailing labels and label everything!  I have little baggies where I sort brass even by weight and how many times I've used them and label that.  I reload for several of my rifles, I segregate brass and bullets and use colored labels on them.  When I have the brass on my loading trays to get ready for loading, I even put a label there so that I know exactly for which rifle that goes to, how much powder to put,what bullet to use, etc.  I then take that label and put on my ammo box with the finished ammo so that when I'm shooting them, i know it's exactly for that rifle and doesn't get shot in another rifle (they likely won't fit anyway since I neck size mine).

I'm always reading the next little process improvement as well.  i have found a GREAT load using Varget, I then went to look for a great load for Re loader 15 (so that if i can't find Varget, i now have a back up). 

Always be teachable.  Man, I've learned a lot of things from these guys here (and other forums and websites and books), but there is always something to make your loads better.  And when you have that 1 hole group, you can still improve it.  And that's the fun part.

I guess my main advise is to NOT RUSH.  It's great hobby, enjoy it!   (and when you go slow, you're safer too)

There are many old threads on this site about it, what equipment and so on.  If you need more, ask, but read those!

Don't be intimidated.  The details can bog you down but really, you poke in a primer, put in the amount of powder that it says in your book, shove a bullet on top.  Details matter, but its really not much more than this in the grand scheme of things.  

Great advice Jonnin; and I've learned a lot by reading your posts.

It is very intimidating when you start out.  I remember looking at my press before I started and my mind just froze; i didn't even know where to start.  So I started small.

I remember my first tasks (and I wrote all over my reloading manual with notes) was to find out what happens in each stage of the process.    And then pick one area and find out what you can do to learn more about and improve the process.  During the brass preperation phase, I would read about how to find out if a case is done, deburring the case after cutting, flash hole cleaning, etc.  Pick one very detailed item and just learn more about it and then move on to the next one.

Soon you'll be doing optimal charge tests and measuring OAL to the lands and that's when you find those 1 hole groups.

been reloading since 1973.  got just about everything there is for reloading and casting bullets.  i would get some of the older reloading books and read them.  lots of good info in the older books.  then i would first look for bullets, brass, primers and powder.  you can have all the equipment to reload, but without bullets, brass, primers, and powder the equipment is just a dust collector.