M1 Garand - 30-06 Usage

lshel

I went looking for AR10 or M1A at Franklin Gunshow last week and came home with a M1 Garand. Price was 1/3rd to 1/4th the price of the 308's I looked at. I have disassembled, cleaned and reassembled the gun. The receiver is a Springfield Armory and the serial puts it in June 1941, the bolt is a 1944, barrel a LMR 1953 and operating rod 1944+. The receiver has etched REP 11. The stock is most likely birch or lower grade walnut. It appears that I have a rebuild somewhere in 1950-60. Everything is in go shape and barrel rifling looks excellant along with barrel crown. I assume I have a Service grade rebuild. I ordered/received M2 ball ammo and some en-bloc clips. When rain clears up next week, I'll see how she shoots, hope she is accurate. I have a 100yd range, but would like to set sights for 200yds. Please give me some input on shooting and maintaining this gun. Alos your own experience with a M1 Garand.

Rebuild or not, Garands are superb rifles and very accurate.  Just be cautions when loading.  "M1 Thumb" is not a pleasant thing.....trust me on this. :yuck:  To keep your thumb in one piece put the outside edge of your hand against the charging lever while pushing the clip into the rifle with your thumb.  Easy with practice.

• Like 1

To initially sight it in run the rear sight all the way down until it stops then bring it up about 8 clicks.  That usually gets you set for about 100 yards with  some minor adjustments for a classic "pumpkin on a post" sight picture.

The Garand is a remarkable weapon; I’m sure you will enjoy it. Go to the CMP forum for a wealth of info.

Get some 30-06 snap caps and learn how to load a clip into the rifle without getting “Garand thumb”, and make sure the rifle goes fully into battery before trying to shoot. Make sure it is properly oiled and greased. Replace all the springs with new. Read up on ammo and make sure you don’t use any factory ammo that wasn’t loaded for it.

Satisfy all the requirements so you can go to CPM to pick out your rifles and you won’t have to pay gun show prices.

I’m sure many more will have advice to offer.

I bought my Garand froman loder individual cheaper than what CMP has advertised and not a 60 day delivery time. I ordered Greek M2 ammo from CMP and they don't know when it will be shipped. They said when shipped they would e-mail me. I was surprised that they would be swamped with orders and backlogged on shipping when they deal in WWII items/ammo. They do have a good informative website.

Actually the M-1 Thumb is caused when closing the bolt on an empty rifle more so than one with a full clip of 8 more room to leave the errant digit in the action.keep your 4 fingers "bladed"forward of the op rod handle to hold the bolt from moving forward

You Tube M-1 Garand and look for the older US Army training films. you will see the "blade" technique used.

Some M-1s will still need a bump to the op rod after inserting a loaded clip to close on the first round it is considered normal by most folks..

TM9-1275 is very helpful

http://www.garandgear.com/m1-garand-tm9-1275  

I have heard some folks tell you need to load it so the top round is either to the left or the right (depending on whos talking) to avoid the "7th. round jam" I have not found this to be so on my rifle.

you will learn quickly to put your thumb on the back of the reciever while firing (curled over  stock might hit nose while firing) and keep your support hand fingers out of the op rod channel,not as painful...

with practice you can catch the empty clip after it ejects  and GREASED properly it will toss the empties at 1-3 o'clock

my older eyes appreciate the addition of a NM hooded rear sight but otherwise she is in Mil trim and I have seen "shot out" M-1s still group surprisingly well ( 8-10" @ 100 yds with surplus)

Keep it stock if you ever want to enter a "John C. Garand" match I would have to change out my rear sight to enter it is that strict a rule set.

John

I have TM 9-1005-222-12 M-1 Garand Dewpt. of Army Tech Manual, "The M1 Garand 1936-1957" by Poyer & Riesch, and CMP's "U.S. Rifle, Caliber .30, M1.

I 've read these publications and have 4 clips read to zero sights. Maybe ammo supply will improve. I may have to start loading 30-06. Currently, I just reload handgun ammo. I would like to try some matches if accuracy proves out on this one.

Review these as well....

Parts 1 and 2 of the film are available through this link.    http://archive.org/details/Rifle_Marksmanship_with_M1_Rifle_Part_1

The second PDF link on the left of this page is excellent.  It even has a good chapter on using the sling.....http://archive.org/details/How_to_Shoot_the_US_Army_Rifle

Edited by Garufa