walmart and ammo

Things finally appear to be improving here in Florida. The store I visit during my lunch breaks has had more ammo on the shelves the past week than they have the previous 8 months combined. 9mm and .22LR is still difficult to grab but the other calibers are starting to sit.

The prices for Winchester are really high though. I'm not paying $22 for a box of .380

• Like 1

Was in the Lenoir City location of Walmart last night.  They still didn't have much in the way of handgun ammo - just some .40S&W and .45acp in one brand or another (I don't own either so didn't look too closely.)  Still no .22LR or WMR.  The bit of good news, though, was that there were at least two, different brands/types of 30-06 on the shelf as well as one or two types/brands of .308 along with the 7mm Mag, 300 Win Mag, etc. that never got scarce.  I don't have a .308 but I do have a 30-06 and haven't noticed any ammo for it on Wally shelves in quite some time.  I was a little surprised that there was still no 30-30.  There was also some .223 of some type (also don't have a .223 so didn't pay a whole lot of attention.)  Shotgun ammo supplies looked pretty much 'normal' - maybe even a bit more than normal for some types.

I didn't need any of what they had so I left it all there.

Edited by JAB

No ammo on truck tonight.....Because there was no truck tonight.

But still have people calling for ammo that we do not have..... Yet "could you check in the back?"  is asked occasionally.  There is no ammo ( aside from some shotgun shells) stored in the backroom in wal-mart.

Even people calling at 1 am for ammo. And nobodys there to answer the call.

I picked up a box of Remington 33 grain Accutip-V at the Turkey Creek Walmart last Saturday but forgot to post about it until now.  There were five or six boxes and I just took one and left the rest.  The price was $18.xx but this stuff was pretty expensive compared to other WMR ammo even before the shortage.  I have some WMR ammo at home but only had three or four rounds of this, particular type left and it is the most accurate from my Marlin 925M so I like to keep a box of it around.

They had quite a bit of ammo although it was still mostly rifle ammo.  I started to pick up a box or two of Tula 7.62X39 (the price was pretty much the same as 'pre-scare', $5.xx per box) but decided to wait on that.

I was in Madisonville on Sunday and decided to check that Walmart.  No .22LR or WMR but they had even more .380 and .45acp than they had the last time I was in there.  I also saw (for the first time in a while) .38 Special and .357 ammo on the shelf.

I think at this point the 'shortage' could go either way towards the end of the year.  On one hand, we might see folks who panic bought selling off guns to get Christmas money (possibly resulting in less ammo being bought.)  For that matter, some of the profiteers might be spending their free capital on the latest Tickle Me Furby or whatever for the kiddies, forcing them to take a hiatus from clearing out store shelves.

On the other hand, firearms and related things might end up being very popular Christmas gifts this year which could reverse the very slight easing in pressure on ammo supplies that we are just starting to see.  Either way, I still expect it to be next Spring/Summer before things are really back to normal - and only then as long as some nutjob doesn't shoot up another school or perpetrate a massacre in a large mall full of Christmas shoppers (for some reason, I have a sense of dread in my gut that the latter will happen.)  Let us hope that neither happen, both for the obvious reasons of avoiding another tragedy and out of a desire to see gun/ammo supplies normalize.

Edited by JAB
  • 3 weeks later...

My local Wal-Mart got in 4 1000 round cases of 5.56 tonight. Priced around $440. I was tempted but decided to hold off.

They still don't get consistent shipments but the one tonight was huge. They had 9mm, .38, .40, .380, .22LR .223 and a few others I think.

• Like 2

We get .22 sometimes. But it usually dosen't last that long. Youhave to almost get it as soon as it is put onthe shelf. While I report what comes in sometimes, it may be a day or 2 before they get the stamps put on it all and out onthe shelves.

But the larger calibers are staying onthe shelves a lot longer than before.

Guest The Itis

Tons of 40 and 45, even bulk packs are sitting for days.

I've been paying shelf prices for 9mm from private sellers, so hopefully that's a sign that they realize they're not making any money for the effort.

Guest ThePunisher

Tons of 40 and 45, even bulk packs are sitting for days.
I've been paying shelf prices for 9mm from private sellers, so hopefully that's a sign that they realize they're not making any money for the effort.

Could be that lots of gun owners have lost their jobs or their hours have been cut to part time. Economy factors are beginning to come into play when it means a choice between food or ammo. I've seen some .223 sit on the shelves for nearly 4 weeks now at Walmart, and that tells me that prices are gonna have to drop before people buy.

Could be that lots of gun owners have lost their jobs or their hours have been cut to part time. Economy factors are beginning to come into play when it means a choice between food or ammo. I've seen some .223 sit on the shelves for nearly 4 weeks now at Walmart, and that tells me that prices are gonna have to drop before people buy.

I agree with this as well.  Not to get off topic, but I wonder how much impact this will have on shooting sports like IDPA, USPSA, etc?  Assuming a person doesn't reload, a match has gone from costing about $30 to $50+.  But I keep telling myself it's still cheaper than playing golf.

Guest ThePunisher

I agree with this as well.  Not to get off topic, but I wonder how much impact this will have on shooting sports like IDPA, USPSA, etc?  Assuming a person doesn't reload, a match has gone from costing about $30 to $50+.  But I keep telling myself it's still cheaper than playing golf.

My two hobbies (golf and guns) just happen to be very expensive.

Life is good in Winchester

look left side bottom that's 1000rd cases of 223 federal LC ammo at $447 each, there was 7 maybe 11

photobucket-2464-1379535455030_zps1bdb1a

How in the world does that happen? Someone missed the "share the ammo with others stores" memo.

Just stopped by my local WMT, the shelves were empty with shotgun shells being the only exception.

I was in 2 walmarts in 2 different cities the last 2 days. Both had 1000rd .223 cases, and at least one variety of most calibers. Missing were : 380 & 9mm. I love walking away and leaving ammo on the shelf.... makes me hopeful... Almost like we're farming the stuff. Edited by Peace
  • Like 1