7.62x39mm rifle

so, im starting to want a 7.62x39mm rifle to go along with my 5.56mm AR. what are some of my choices? im seeing the AK-47, converted saiga, AR in 7.62x39, or ruger mini-30, probably either the AR or AK. anything else.

what is considered to be the holy grail of AKs? not talking about a custom built rifle, but something i can either get at a gun shop or have them order for me. wouldnt mind spend about what i did on my ar($900-$1k) for a good one. i just want it to be reliable, accurate, gotta look pretty good too.

i know i want a fixed stock but not sure if i want wood or black furniture.

thanks for the insite

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest gcrookston
I seen an arsenal up at Guns and Leather. They are made here in the US. I believe it is a Bulgarian copy. They spoke pretty highly of them. About the same price as an Olympic Arms AR 15. That's what I will probably end up with myself.

here's one link http://www.ak-47.us/Arsenal.php

here's their home page http://www.arsenalinc.com/about.html

The Arsenal is made in Bulgaria at Factory 10 and sent in kit form to the US for fitting of the required US parts, and yes, it is top notch... being manufactured to Russian spec for about 50 years in the same place.

But if you are going to get the best of the best available in the US it would be a Norinco or Polytech (doesn't matter, they come from the same factories), stamped receiver type 56 or 56s, IMO. They haven't been imported now for over a decade, but they were/are some of the best ever made. Look for one marked "M22" and you will have an early import that was converted from a "real AK", is not a parts gun and originally manufactured full auto... closest you can get to the real thing without being a Class III

Edited by gcrookston

The norinco's are pretty nice.. friend has one.

But, the saiga conversions seem aweful nice. I'd like to get my hands on one to try before deciding if thats the direction for me.

AR's in 7.62x39 tend to suffer from two issues:

1. lack of reliable hi-cap mags

2. Wolf / Golden Tiger still are not clean burning.

#1 is supposedly being corrected by CP-products. However, they are already in backorder for the next month. I haven't seen a in-person review of 'em yet.

#2 AR's aren't SKS's. You can't totally neglect them and run dirty ammo constantly with perfect function.

Try a Saiga before you make your pick, you'd probably be surprised by it.

I wouldn't mind having another one in .223

yea but im not exactly thrilled about grinding and filing on a brand new weapon. and if im going with a AK receiver, i want to use AK mags

Don't discount the SKS...just because it is a generation before the SK and costs a little less doesn't mean they are any less awesome. I have a Nornico SKS and have to say that it can put out a ton of hurt in very short order and can load clips than most gunners can replace a mag. Pretty accurate too. With softpoint ammo it would be a great brush pig/deer gun.

I think of an SKS as the 10/22 of the centerfire world.

no offense to anyone who has an SKS but i think they look like crap, cant stand them.

I concur 100%...they are like the fat chicks when you were in high school. They rock your world, but one doesn't particularly like to be seen with them.

Guest mikedwood

I have a Norico Mac-90 and I wouldn't trade it for any other Ak type I have ever seen. God it is nice.

I also have an old Wazr 10 and it's just a great old rattle trap that doesn't give up. It's not to pretty but bang bang bang.

I have a Cugir single stack also. Never shot it but it's a pretty tight little gun for an AK. I don't think anyone has ever shot it.

I had an SKS and it was a super nice gun but a friend begged and begged and begged me for it so I traded him. Regrets? Umm yeah it shot great and never a problem.

They are just some tough firearms. Super tough. Pretty? Not so much. Great accuracy, ehhh no not really. But wow do they just shoot and shoot and shoot. Clean um or not they don't care. Abuse them if you want, for get about them and drag um out 40 years later with a tad of oil fire away.

The main issue I have had with the 7.62x.39 is surplus ammo having a couple of no fires. No squibs yet but I have had a couple of no fire. Two that is. Wolf is perfect for those kind of guns. Maybe nothing else but in 7.62x.39 Wolf is the leader I think.

Give me Glocks :D and Aks and I'm a happy guy.

Guest tokarev

Got a Romainian AK, post ban, that I bought because some stupid polotic was moving his mouth on the boob tube. I've only wiped down the outside and never cleaned the barrel (still shiney), yet it keeps the bullets in same small group as when I first bought it. Only had one minor problem after almost 2,000 rounds of wolf ammo. So I can't say anything bad about it.

It was a funny/strange thing. A couple of years ago, I had three of my grown sons shooting the Romiy Ak clone at OnTarget gun range in Murfreesboro. One complained that it was cycling slow although still firing. I figured it was getting a bit too dirty (Finally!) and popped off the dust cover.

I don't know HOW they did it. However, somehow, they got a loaded round in the receiver. (WTF!!!) It was laying on top of the firing group. (give an idiot proof gun to some folks and just guess what could happen. Hah, ha !) Got the round out and it's still plugging along.

I've got a chinee SKS that's been cleaned up and 3 Yugo SKS's still in the cosmo. One of them, I'm thinking of making into a trunk monkey. Heck! I know that they'll work under any condition. Let them sit in the trunk for five years with out touching them and I'll still bet that they'll work. (like feakin' cockroaches. Can't kill 'em!)

What ever!

YOU(!!!) have got to decide what you want the 7.62x39 for.

Precision? Get yourself a bolt action or an AR and only shoot modern commerical or handloaded ammo through it.

Need something that will always work! Don't/can't clean as often as you want/need? Grab an SKS (any kind. those that I've had, shot anything/anytime/any condition) or (if you'd like a larger capacity mag) an AK 47 clone. "Krebs" http://www.krebscustom.com/index.shtml I've heard is the best. I've also haven't tried Arsenal, VEPR http://www.robarm.com/RA_russian_firearms.htm or Vector http://www.eastcoastfirearms.com/gallery/default.asp?parent_id=114&child_id=147&is_gallery=1

Decide what you want it for. A Romainian is usualy good for 5 moa (although you'll hear of 2.5 from some folks) Figure out how much you want to spend and then wonder if you might not just get a .308 instead. Hah!

None of the choices are going to be tack-driver accurate. If I had my choice I would go with an AK variant and be happy with that.

I would stay away from the AR in the chambering since it's never been proven all that reliable and mags are both expensive and some what hard to find.

The Mini-30 is reliable, but can't hit a milkjug at 50 yards.

Guest Mugster

7.62x39 upper. My only problem is lack of a chromed bore on most that are available. Good mags are here. Should shoot the cheap stuff just fine. I'll know more after i have some rounds down the pipe.

YOU(!!!) have got to decide what you want the 7.62x39 for.

just cause. if SHTF the AR and AK will be the assault rifles that you can get mags and ammo for easily and i would like to have each platform available to me just in case.

want to get a .308 AR too, so thats on the list, also.

not that i wouldnt shoot the AK recreationally but for a home defense rifle an AR or AR-variant will be my first choice.

Edited by nightrunner

I'd love to try a VZ58. I've read they are sweet shooters. I handled one at a funshow recently and REALLY liked it. It is lighter and better balanced than an average AK and the build quality of the CZ imported one I looked at was exceptional.

Unfortunately the Czechs didn't see fit to put the Warsaw Pact scope rail on the side.

Edited by Burboy
and the build quality was exceptional.

this is one of the things HIGH on my list for an AK, build quality. ive seen and heard of some AKs with very poor build quality, like canted front sight bases and slack/slop in the action, not for me. is there not a high-quality AK or AK-variant that takes AK mags that has great build quality?