Scenario Question : Standing in line at Kroger...

• Administrator

A guy on a car forum posted this question as a thread and asked for feedback. I thought it would be interesting to see what the members of TGO would have done (or not done) in his shoes.

I told him he should have kept his mouth shut. :D

You're standing in line at Kroger when a large gentleman cuts in line in front of you. You try to draw the gentleman's attention, only to be told "don't you dare talk to me mother***er". The gentleman is physically superior to you and not in a good mood.

Do you let it go? Force the issue? Use your wit and cunning to make him look like an ass? Run home and cry to momma? Pull out your CC 9mm and take him out?

I'd like to hear some responses before I tell you what I did.

Additional information.

This is in East Nashville. The gentleman in question is black.

What happened: Stare down. I stared at him, him at me.

The checkout eventually opened and he walked to the scanner. I followed closely. He got there first.

Under my breath I muttered 'child' - which, in hindsight, was pretty dumb, and walked back to the line.

What I should have done? Not certain. Maybe just laughed at him. What else could I do? Get in a physical confrontation that would only end with me getting my ass kicked? Can't complain to management - they won't do sh1te. Wish someone else in line had spoke up too.

hmmph.

ps. I'm (relatively) clean shaven.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would have pulled my slicker tight so my "Imus In The Morning" t-shirt wasn't exposed and then made several glances around to make sure the exits weren't covered. Then I would have proceeded to chant "the answer my friend is blowing in the wind" until the guy got freaked out enough to move along.

Edited by jwp

I would have shouted "stop thief--OMG HE'S GOT A GUN!!" BANG! BANG! BANG!

No seriously. Time to back up, smirking with the knowledge that you could make this guy's day his last. Some people will be asses. Nothing you can do about it except not be one.

Interestingly a security guard who works at probably that very Kroger was in yesterday. He had gotten smacked in the eye by a female shoplifter the night before. He told me the place has been robbed numerous times.

• Administrator
I would have laughed...and made a joke about it...lighten the mood a little..."gotta pee huh?"

As I told the other guy, I would have just kept my mouth shut. The thug was obviously being a bully and looking for a reason to flex his "muscle" ... so anything you said could have given him that reason.

Mouth shut. Eyes and ears open. Mind on your surrounding and plan of action should you be forced into a situation where you had to defend yourself. No place in line at the store is worth going to jail over, even if you are ultimately cleared of any wrong doing.

And if you mouth off to the guy in the store, who's to say he won't be waiting for you outside? Bad idea. Cooler heads prevail, so be the cooler head.

Guest canynracer

I have been in the situation...obviously if you are a smart azz yeah...but clearly showing "submission" by nervous laughter and a dumb ass joke or even laughter and no joke, as long as you are not "looking" for the fight, or trying to save face and be macho, I think you will be alright...or at least I was...

but yeah, I understand what you are saying, and I am always in the zone you explained anyway...

it has nothing to do with being a bad ass and mouthing off...

There was a video a while back where a lady of similar description did the same thing. The result however, was she went out and got her huge boyfriend who came in and beat the poor guy standing in line senseless.

I would agree about swallowing the pride and letting it go. Besides it would be hard to not be seen as a contributing factor in a shoot if you did anything to "up" the situation.

I've got better things to do than give some ill-mannered whatchamacallit the satisfaction of getting a reaction for his entitlement attitude regarding his own importance compared to others.

It'll catch up to him... but not by me. The less worked up I get about it, the sooner I'll forget it and enjoy the rest of my day.

Guest Hyaloid
There was a video a while back where a lady of similar description did the same thing. The result however, was she went out and got her huge boyfriend who came in and beat the poor guy standing in line senseless.

I would agree about swallowing the pride and letting it go. Besides it would be hard to not be seen as a contributing factor in a shoot if you did anything to "up" the situation.

[ame]

[/ame]

WARNING... VERY VIOLENT, NSFW

Guest Verbal Kint

That video is perfect example of why I hate modern-U.S. society.

No one gets involved, and everyone stands around simply watching. Sure that guy was big, but any combination of sheep standing there could have taken him to the ground and held him there till LEO were called. :D

You guys are missing the easiest response here... pull out your nifty CCW badge you ordered off the internet!!! One look at that and he'd tremble in fear and probably wet himself as he ran for the door. Then everyone would look upon you with the respect you so truly deserve.

Congratulations, you're a hero!

buk

P.S. Did anyone else notice there was a booth selling these at the Bob Pope show last weekend? As I walked by I heard the owner's sales pitch about how great they were.

Guest db99wj

Shoot him 13 times.:D

Ok, just kidding I would NOT DO THAT!!!

I would have not said anything, not a word. In fact, I would have moved to the complete opposite side of the check out lanes or even further to keep my eye on him. Call me paranoid, but in todays world, the economy, high fuel costs, people losing jobs/unemployment, people are more desperate because of less money. People that are struggling are more pissy and more likely to "lose it". The next person that piss's him off, like the cashier at kroger (I know not likely, they are such a nice courteous, speedy bunch:rolleyes:), he might pull out a weapon and start blasting. I'm more careful of this, in the grocery line, in traffic, etc.

That video is perfect example of why I hate modern-U.S. society.

Yah, I've seen that one before, and like the myriad of other great examples we have, it shows why more people need to carry...

I try and stay out of htese what if's but in this instance I have to voice my opinion:

I would say nothing, let him have his day and rest in the knowledge that I was brought up better than to pick a fight over stupid crap.

Guest db99wj

In regards to that vid, If you would have pulled your gun, you shot him, would it be justified? IMO you would be justified, he was beating that guy to death, possiblly could have killed him. I might be wrong, but I was brought up to help other people.

Oh, here is another one of these type stories, just happened here in Cordova (Memphis)

http://www.wmctv.com/global/story.asp?s=8550351

• Administrator

Here's the flip side to this coin...

We don't always get to choose when we will have to fight. Sometimes that choice is made for us by the other person. When that happens, you will react... but how?

Something to ponder.

Guest db99wj
That is disgusting. Anyone catch the Memphis News where a similar thing happened in the Cordova McDonald's parking lot? Some one video taped it but no one did anything like calling the cops.

Look 3 posts up:D