Gen. Stanley McChrystal voices support for "assault weapons" ban

• Administrator

Gen. McChrystal: Assault rifles are for battlefields, not schools
Jane C. Timm, @janestreet
8:45 am on 01/08/2013

Former Gen. Stanley McChrystal, who led the war in Afghanistan, endorsed strong gun control laws Tuesday on Morning Joe.

“I spent a career carrying typically either an M16 or an M4 Carbine. An M4 Carbine fires a .223 caliber round which is 5.56 mm at about 3000 feet per second. When it hits a human body, the effects are devastating. It’s designed for that,” McChrystal explained. “That’s what our soldiers ought to carry. I personally don’t think there’s any need for that kind of weaponry on the streets and particularly around the schools in America.”

The AR-15, the civilian version of an M-16 or M-4, has been the weapon of choice  in many recent mass shootings —both Adam Lanza and James Holmes used them in Newtown and Aurora, respectively. Since Lanza massacred 20 young children in Newtown, Connecticut, gun control has returned to DC’s front-burner and the president has called for strict gun control measures.

“We’ve got to take a serious look—I understand everyone’s desire to have whatever they want—but we’ve got to protect our children, we’ve got to protect our police, we’ve got to protect our population,” McChrystal said. “Serious action is necessary. Sometimes we talk about very limited actions on the edges and I just don’t think that’s enough.”

McChrystal led the American and NATO forces in Afghanistan, but resigned amidst scandal after Rolling Stone magazine published a controversial profile that portrayed the General and his staff as dismissive and disrespectful of the president.

Tragic shooting sprees aside, McChrystal also pointed to the more deadly and common gun violence—32 people die each day from gun violence—as another reason he believes gun control is necessary.
“The number of people in America killed by firearms is extraordinary compared to other nations, and I don’t think we’re a bloodthirsty country,” he said. “We need to look at everything we can do to safeguard our people.”
  • Administrator

Random thoughts running through my head...

1.)  Disarming the populace was part of bringing democracy to Iraq.

2.)  You don't get to be a general, let alone Commander, International Security Assistance Force and Commander, U.S. Forces Afghanistan without being part of the political machine.  Granted, Gen. McChrystal dicked himself good with his comments about Obama while in theater, but this strikes me as him trying to make new friends by going back and licking the boots of those who slapped him down.

3.)  This makes me wonder about the notion that the military would take the side of the people if it was asked to turn against them as part of a mass confiscation of firearms.  I'm guessing the military would possibly fragment as a result, but that in turn makes me wonder how long that fragmentation would be allowed to occur before soldiers were executed by other soldiers for treason.

As Larry Vickers put it over on M4Carbine.net earlier today...

Anyone who thinks things could not go seriously sideways here in the US needs to study two things;

Human nature

History

Don't fool yourselves like many others have done

Exactly why do you think the founding fathers put the 2nd Admendment in the Constitution for ?

• Like 3
  • Administrator

I care so much about his opinion, he should have called and told me in person. What a dumb***.

I concur.  My initial reaction was "F### him and anyone who looks like him" but then the rational side of me took hold and I once again took inventory of the fact that he is a [former] face of the US Military, viewed as a subject matter expert by the unthinking masses, and therefore his words will and do carry weight.

Unfortunately his opinion will matter to a degree.  It's just one more bit of mental programming via mass media, for the gullible public to dutifully lap up and regurgitate later when it comes time to make their own decisions.

People who think for themselves are dangerous.  They're doing everything they can to make sure you, I, our family members, friends, neighbors, don't do that.

• Like 2

An M4 Carbine fires a .223 caliber round which is 5.56 mm at about 3000 feet per second. When it hits a human body, the effects are devastating. It’s designed for that,”

Right, because being shot by a "civilian" round like .308 Win, .30-06, .270 Win, or .30-30 is like a kiss from grandma.

• Like 5
[quote name="TGO David" post="879191" timestamp="1357688005"]I concur.  My initial reaction was "[i]F### him and anyone who looks like him[/i]" but then the rational side of me took hold and I once again took inventory of the fact that he is a [former] face of the US Military, viewed as a subject matter expert by the unthinking masses, and therefore his words will and do carry weight. Unfortunately his opinion will matter to a degree.  It's just one more bit of mental programming via mass media, for the gullible public to dutifully lap up and regurgitate later when it comes time to make their own decisions. People who think for themselves are dangerous.  They're doing everything they can to make sure you, I, our family members, friends, neighbors, don't do that.[/quote] Very true.
  • Administrator

Right, because being shot by a "civilian" round like .308 Win, .30-06, .270 Win, or .30-30 is like a kiss from grandma.

Don't confuse logic with propaganda, here.  Everyone knows that anything with a NATO cartridge spec like 5.56 or 7.62 is like being hit with a plasma rifle.  Arms just blow the fuck off.

• Like 1

Random thoughts running through my head...

3.)  This makes me wonder about the notion that the military would take the side of the people if it was asked to turn against them as part of a mass confiscation of firearms.  I'm guessing the military would possibly fragment as a result, but that in turn makes me wonder how long that fragmentation would be allowed to occur before soldiers were executed by other soldiers for treason

Makes me wonder, too. I also wonder how the National Guard units would play out in such a scenario.

He thinks the.223 round is dangerous, he should spend some time in his LGS and learn what a real round like the .45 ACP can do! 

Seriously, I read this earlier today and was equally disgusted. Between him and Alex Jones we really could use a reasonable, calm, and articulate voice in the mainsteam media right now. 

• Like 1
  • Admin Team
People like Stanley McChrystal and Wesley Clark are interesting studies in human nature, and perhaps offer some commentary on our modern culture of celebrity worship.

McChrystal's career ended in disgrace, yet he became so enamored with the sound of his own voice that now he desparately needs a pulpit. It's too bad they can't recognize that the press is all to happy to give them that voice in return for being their monkies.

McChrystal's already shown he suffers from poor judgement. What outcome did he possibly expect after calling the Vice President names in Rolling Stone?
  • Like 3
Guest Cold Dead Hands

It's sad to see someone of his stature up there lying. They must have some dirt on him because he knows DAMN well that even though an AR LOOKS like an assault weapon it's certainly NOT...

The Good General is committing treason. I'm sorry to say. Advocating and unconstitutional ban on the 2nd Amendment that the Govt. has NO power to do. 

Edited by Cold Dead Hands
Guest 6.8 AR

I didn't expect that from him. Of course, I haven't really paid any attention to him, except that his memoirs don't mention anything

about his spat with the White House. Sorry to hear that about him.

Guest bkelm18
[quote name="Cold Dead Hands" post="879242" timestamp="1357691520"]   The Good General is committing treason. I'm sorry to say. Advocating and unconstitutional ban on the 2nd Amendment that the Govt. has NO power to do. [/quote] Offering an opinion does not make someone a traitor. Stupid maybe, but not a traitor.

He chose his side and that is his right.  Sad that he likely has political reasons for it.  We need a couple generals to come out and speak for our side.  

We need to get organized, and I am not talking about the NRA.  We need a real voice in all of this that people will listen to.  Of course, the issue is that most of the main stream media outlets are hard core liberals.  

I guess we can just wait for it all to come down and then tell the government to kiss our asses.  

Like Joshua Boston said, "Unconstitutional laws aren't laws".

• Like 1
  • Administrator

You know, we've REALLY got to get away from the idea that anyone who has an opinion is guilty of treason.  McChrystal is a useful idiot, but he's not in an elected office and using that position to abolish a Constitutional right.  Until that happens, is he really a traitor or just a moron?  There's a difference.

• Like 1
I can't believe, with his background, that this could be his opinion. I totally misread this guy. He spent his formative years as a cadet getting the Constitution shoved down his throat and this is his opinion now? Amazing.
  • Like 2
Guest Hoosier70

In 03-04 we were ORDERED to let Local Iraqi's have at least one rifle per house for there protection, any guess what there rifle was ? AK47 but I can't have an AR or other semi auto ?? Just go away Gen.   ( BTW there was never an order that we had to leave locals any ammo -  we kept any and all ammo during a house to house search  )

Actually they can. They are called transferable machine guns.

They are heavily regulated though.

Actually they can. They are called transferable machine guns.

They are heavily regulated though.

There was some humor in that and I meant to say "good thing civilians don't own any."  That of course would not be true of the legally held machine guns from pre-86. Also for whatever reason I can't go back and edit my own posts, nothing changes. Therefore my comment was not changed. So yeah.

Edited by gjohnsoniv
  • Like 1

Here is a random thought

Where?  World wide?  Counting places where guns are banned? (war zones?)

545219_10151456455491833_2012628852_n.jp

Vontar, that chart is misleading if you're using it to discuss murder by guns, as it does not include handguns.

It's not 32/day though, even with handguns factored in. In 2010, we had 6,009 deaths using pistols (incl. suicides and accidents). That's about 16.5/day. Add in the 320 or so with rifles and about the same with shotguns, and we're still under 20/day.

I agree that a ban on semi-auto rifles is silly given the statistics.

Edited by monkeylizard