Deputize TN Teachers and Principals

Guest 270win

Guest 270win

We already have a law in place in Tennessee that a county sheriff can appoint as many special deputies as he wants.  Why don't we pressure the school boards and county sheriffs to deputize select teachers and administrators that are willing to discreetly carry a handgun?  The school boards can assist with the liability bond and the training or if the school board does not want to pay for the bond and training, teachers who are willing can pay for it.

I see this as a win win situation.  Maybe even private schools can approach the county sheriff for special deputy commissions for their employees OR get set up for armed guard licenses from the state.

You're fixin' to piss off the King and his granola crunchin' subjects. :) They must have control, ya know?

The God-Emperor Barack Hussein Obama and all his granola crunchin' minions can kiss my ass.

And, I imagine the various Tennessee County Sheriffs and the Tennessee Governor probably feel the same way, if not a little more politely stated.

Edited by QuietDan
  • Like 1

I have a much simpler idea. Tennessee should implement some kind of system where a citizen can take a class, say an 8 hour class at a gun store for example; then get fingerprinted; have a background check; pay a fee to the state for the privilege of exercising a God-given and constitutionally protected right; and then receive a permit to carry a handgun. They should then do away with stupid "gun free zones" and let people protect themselves instead of being mandated into victimhood by their omniscient government. If we as ordinary citizens are good enough to protect ourselves and our children why aren't our teachers? Hell, some of the folks on here are no doubt either teachers or married to one.

• Like 4
Guest 270win

LagerHead,

I totally agree with you that those of us with permits should be able to carry anywhere that off duty LEO's can carry.  I think in the meantime we need to ask our local sheriffs and school boards to work together to issue special deputy cards to school employees so that schools can be protected.  This is an approach we can take now because the law provides for it without running to the state legislature. 

Guest MrSkippyJ
As a former teacher myself, the only problem I see is the first job of a teacher in that situation would be to stay with the kids. I personally think a teacher should be able to carry but they also need to stay with the kids.

Why not have a group of people (janitors, cafeteria staff, SROs, etc...) that wouldn't necessarily be with kids or be in charge of kids be a response team for the schools. Of course they would have to volunteer to be a part of this, forcing someone to do this doesn't really do any good, and would have to spend time training also. But it seems it could work.

I would say that a reserve deputy program would be better to create groups of teachers, parents, hcp permit holders, and prior military to help guard schools as volunteers.  I've outlined before that it would be a low cost solution to provide 1 armed person per 250 students.

We already have a law in place in Tennessee that a county sheriff can appoint as many special deputies as he wants.  Why don't we pressure the school boards and county sheriffs to deputize select teachers and administrators that are willing to discreetly carry a handgun?  The school boards can assist with the liability bond and the training or if the school board does not want to pay for the bond and training, teachers who are willing can pay for it.

I see this as a win win situation.  Maybe even private schools can approach the county sheriff for special deputy commissions for their employees OR get set up for armed guard licenses from the state.