Anti <acronym title='National Rifle Association'>NRA</acronym> campaigns

Evidentally there are some groups who have started an anti NRA campaigns

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/dec/20/anti-nra-hotel-chains-discounts

What we, as gun owners, need to do is take a play from their playbook. How about as Anti Brady campaign among gun owners? It was their push for policy changes that lead to all the gun free zones. And those gun free zones are resulting in people being left defenseless and getting killed.

I know from now on I am going to openly blame the Brady Campaign for the recent mass killings. Fair is fair.

Dolomite

• Like 2

Part of the article talks about boycotting numerous hotels that offer NRA discounts.  Evidently a bunch of antis have left hateful messages on these hotels Facebook pages threatening not to stay there.  Along with several others I left an encouraging message there along with that of the antis.  I encourage others to do the same.  Just make sure that you are cool headed and polite and you will prevail over the hot headed antis and their allegations.

• Like 2
  • Administrator

I'm with you on that! We, as gun owners, need to get as vocal as the anti-gun groups are.

Agreed.  I've been brainstorming some ways we can do that via TGO.  My requirement is that whatever we do, it must be constructive and put forward the best face possible.  In other words, I'm not going to play into the hands of the antis by forming or encouraging the formation of "armed rallies" where a bunch of yahoos with rifles or handguns show up and scare the hell out of the part of society that doesn't really care one way or the other about firearms but still votes for or against the issues that affect them.

I think this is perhaps the crucial point that a lot of the recent activism seems to be missing.  There ARE people out there -- fence sitters, if you will -- who do not really have an opinion about firearms in general but still vote on issues that affect those of us who do care about the Second Amendment.  Nothing polarizes the voting public like sensationalism, and nothing is as sensational as a bunch of rowdy, armed rednecks, toting signs about overthrowing Obama, hanging Senators and Congressmen for traitorous acts, etc.  I'm sure that statement will rub some fur the wrong way here, but the truth hurts to hear sometimes and I'm getting pretty tired of the public judging all gun owners by the appearances and actions of a small subset of the "gun culture".

What needs to happen is for the voting public to understand that their family physician, their pastor, the cute little unassuming soccer mom next door with a minivan full of children, the lady who cuts their hair, the guy who bags their groceries, the nice man who delivers their milk... all of those people are gun owners and many of them carry for their own self-defense.

Sadly the media is always going to seek out the one wild-eyed Bubba dressed in military garb, with a Gadsden flag on a pole, and a Glock on his hip, and take HIS photo and run it on the front page of the newspaper and as the highlight reel for the 10pm news and claim he's what gun owners look like.

The answer is to not be that guy and not have that guy at your rally.  But gun owners aren't willing to play by the rules set forth by the antis so we keep losing the PR battle.

• Like 4

Agreed.  I've been brainstorming some ways we can do that via TGO.  My requirement is that whatever we do, it must be constructive and put forward the best face possible.  In other words, I'm not going to play into the hands of the antis by forming or encouraging the formation of "armed rallies" where a bunch of yahoos with rifles or handguns show up and scare the hell out of the part of society that doesn't really care one way or the other about firearms but still votes for or against the issues that affect them.

I think this is perhaps the crucial point that a lot of the recent activism seems to be missing.  There ARE people out there -- fence sitters, if you will -- who do not really have an opinion about firearms in general but still vote on issues that affect those of us who do care about the Second Amendment.  Nothing polarizes the voting public like sensationalism, and nothing is as sensational as a bunch of rowdy, armed rednecks, toting signs about overthrowing Obama, hanging Senators and Congressmen for traitorous acts, etc.  I'm sure that statement will rub some fur the wrong way here, but the truth hurts to hear sometimes and I'm getting pretty tired of the public judging all gun owners by the appearances and actions of a small subset of the "gun culture".

What needs to happen is for the voting public to understand that their family physician, their pastor, the cute little unassuming soccer mom next door with a minivan full of children, the lady who cuts their hair, the guy who bags their groceries, the nice man who delivers their milk... all of those people are gun owners and many of them carry for their own self-defense.

Sadly the media is always going to seek out the one wild-eyed Bubba dressed in military garb, with a Gadsden flag on a pole, and a Glock on his hip, and take HIS photo and run it on the front page of the newspaper and as the highlight reel for the 10pm news and claim he's what gun owners look like.

The answer is to not be that guy and not have that guy at your rally.  But gun owners aren't willing to play by the rules set forth by the antis so we keep losing the PR battle.

Amen! I don't post as much as some, but this I agree with 100%. I run a business here in Nashville, am an assistant pastor at a church, and no one other than family members even know I carry. Matter of fact, I don't leave home without protective gear for the most part. I would support any effort to educate those on the fence.

• Like 1

I was thinking about this just this morning. I was reading an article on another site about how active the antis are becoming on social media sites. We really can not afford to let their voice be louder than ours right now. I will support in anyway possible. I was thinking of starting an anti brady group or anti gun free facebook page, assuming there isn't one already. I'm open to all ideas. 

Amen! I don't post as much as some, but this I agree with 100%. I run a business here in Nashville, am an assistant pastor at a church, and no one other than family members even know I carry. Matter of fact, I don't leave home without protective gear for the most part. I would support any effort to educate those on the fence.

Here is our voice in the matter, coopracing, if you are up tp the task I will stand with you in what ever David and others come up with.

I agree about the "give a good looking" face on our side of the line.

Edited by RED333

Advertised boycotts never work, they just give the company free advertising. :)

As far as the forum goes, what about having a locked thread (because it would get messy) of a basic list of places and companies that support the 2a and gun owners? There's a list of no-carry places, but there's no list of gun friendly places. Due to the ongoing circumstances, I would be more than happy to take personal business to some of these supportive companies, I just don't know who they are.

Here is our voice in the matter, coopracing, if you are up tp the task I will stand with you in what ever David and others come up with.

I agree about the "give a good looking" face on our side of the line.

Not sure about the "good looking face" but I would be willing to help in any way that I could.  :)

Advertised boycotts never work, they just give the company free advertising. :)

As far as the forum goes, what about having a locked thread (because it would get messy) of a basic list of places and companies that support the 2a and gun owners? There's a list of no-carry places, but there's no list of gun friendly places. Due to the ongoing circumstances, I would be more than happy to take personal business to some of these supportive companies, I just don't know who they are.

The problem I see with listing gun friendly places is that the anti's will use it against us once they find out about it. They could use the list to harrass those businesses. Don't forget how unruly and violent some of the libs can be.

Social media is a good way to reach a lot of people. If we came up with some outlines for rational, lucid statements that could be used to explain why we won't do business with places that post, that might be a start. We could leave these polite statements on their facebook pages etc.

As an example, my wife does crafts and Joanns stores are posted, but not Hobby Lobby or Michaels. We could put a message saying we like their products and services but since they've decided to block people with carry permits from entering their stores, we have no choice but to do business with their competitors, both in-store and online.

Members could post their letters for others to borrow from. They could also ask for spelling or grammar help before posting to the companies social media pages.

I got it, we all get Pink AR's and have a 'Shoot for the (breast cancer)Cure'. 

Whole new meaning save the tatas.

Sure the hell beats walking 5k.

We all meet up at a Gun Range, invite the press.

Entry fee, prize and donation or something.

The challenge here is that were we to use their tactics, we would lose.  Having already been painted as extremists and worse, with the support of a mainly complicit media any overt pushback will be presented in the most negative possible light.  My guess is that something along the lines of smothering them with a million kindnesses is the way to go, but I have no idea how to approach that.  It seems to me that the big issue for the uninformed and uninvolved - e.g. those who haven't taken sides - is finding a way to remove the mystical and symbolic power of guns, such that people see them as wood, metal, and plastic, with no ability to self-determine.  The most effective way to do that is to teach the 4 rules and put a gun in the hand of those who fear them in a talismanic sense, but that's just not feasible on any scale that would make an impact.  That said, I have seen it work firsthand.

Good luck, David.  If you come up with anything, I'll help however I'm able.