Was patient...and didn't get a Deer :(

I went out six times...just in the last two weeks.
Found tracks, then found beds, figured out the peak times....

Yesterday I saw a Buck but it was in thick brush.
Could only get a bead on his tail.
Was patient, didn't shoot and it kept on moving through and I didn't take a shot.

I'm glad I didn't take a guess at a wild shot through the brush.
But bummed that I ran out of season!

Next year I'll start earlier.
  • Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd rather pass a shot than take a bad one and spend at least the rest of that day searching and feeling bad about being careless.  You did the right thing.  If you can't pass up an opportunity to take a poor shot then you don't need to be hunting.

I only saw one deer this year and he was not in a position for a shot. I had dozens of them every night on my trail cam, just none in the daylight. Next year I'm starting in ML season. Maybe the head start will help. I only hunt for meat and the rest of the year will remind me that maybe I should have risked that shot.

I hate it when people tell me "that's why they call it hunting". It's usually somebody who doesn't hunt or they have already shot theirs. And they always laugh when they say it!

We have all been there buddy and when I think I have the perfect setup that doesn't produce, I say that to myself too (with the laugh of course).

I only saw one deer this year and he was not in a position for a shot. I had dozens of them every night on my trail cam, just none in the daylight. Next year I'm starting in ML season. Maybe the head start will help. I only hunt for meat and the rest of the year will remind me that maybe I should have risked that shot.

Other than, "that's hunting", a big reason why deer stop moving during the day so much and start moving more at night is due to hunting pressure on your property, someone else's close to you, or both. It may be time to reevaluate where and when you hunt, how you hunt the wind, how you get in and out of your stand and the best kept secret in hunting....establishing sanctuaries.

"Mine" were driving me crazy.

Several times I could hear them less than 25 yards away but they were sticking to the Brush.

Out in a nearby open field, i counted at least 7 Carcasses but I think they must have been going out in the open much earlier in the year.

I just lucked out when a friend bought a large lot of Land and he is letting me hunt it.

Learned a LOT already.

Deer are plentiful on our lease, great mix of woods, water, and fields. We were lucky this year, the owner decided to plant beans. I tagged three (2 bucks and a doe), four of us took a total of 11. No wall hangers, but mature bucks and good does (can't eat the antler anyway ;). I can recommend Pott's in wartrace, reasonable processing. They make great snack sticks and good summer sausage....blessed with a full freezer!

Yep, you made the right call on letting him walk and should be happy with your decision.  This was a bizarre year for deer hunting and it just seemed the deer were not moving much during the day.  I hunted A LOT and got one decent 7 pointer and one doe.  I didn't see squat after the rut shut down and it seemed like even the does went nocturnal.  I talked to several people who hunt in different areas and they were reporting similar results.  Lots of pics on cameras at night but nil during the day.

Hope I'm around for next season and I agree with the sentiment, 'that's why it's called hunting and not killing'!  My dad used to say that every time we got skunked (which was often).