When to exhale?

Let's assume there isn't an AWB at what point can we breath a sigh of relief? 4 years? When a bill is shot down before congress? Even then I suspect some type of legislation will be pursued if if it's initially killed off, just a watered down version. Even with no legislation the talk of it is going to continue the panic buying. I'm just trying to plan out the next few years.
  • Administrator

There will never be a time to relax.

“Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grand-children are once more slaves.” D. H. Lawrence (1885-1938)

What we are dealing with now is the result of the complacency of the past few generations.  Believe it.

• Like 6

I can see them introducing a bill and it getting shot down. Then the back room deals begin and it will get attached to some other bill. And I suspect it will be one of those "you must pass it to see what is in it" deals like Pelosi said.

Or they will do a voice vote. We must always make sure it is a roll call or by name vote otherwise it could happen like the hughed amendment. In a voice vote the leader determines who won, the ayes or the nos.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voice_vote

The Hughes amendment, that banned the sale of new machine guns to civillians, was passed in voice vote. And by all accounts it did not pass but Charlie Rangel called it as passed. This is the same Charlie Rangel who has been investigated for all kinds of ethics violations as well as illegal ativity.

The liberals have no problem breaking laws or rules to get what they want. This is why we have another 4 years.

Dolomite

• Like 3
I'm not exactly exhaling. However I didn't really get into firearms until I turned 21 I didn't grow up with them. So I paid no attention during the last AWB. I bought my first gun shortly after the AWB expired. I worked at a firearms retailer during the first "scare" only to see that's all it was, was a scare. So through all of my firearms owning experience I've never really felt threatened by legislation. That being said after the 2008 election died down I wasnt so short sighted as to think it would be like that forever. I've accumulated enough stuff that my grand children will never need to buy them. Although I wished I bought more ammo. I guess I'm just trying to get a sense of things so that I can prepare or know what to look for.

I'm not exactly exhaling. However I didn't really get into firearms until I turned 21 I didn't grow up with them. So I paid no attention during the last AWB. I bought my first gun shortly after the AWB expired. I worked at a firearms retailer during the first "scare" only to see that's all it was, was a scare. So through all of my firearms owning experience I've never really felt threatened by legislation. That being said after the 2008 election died down I wasnt so short sighted as to think it would be like that forever. I've accumulated enough stuff that my grand children will never need to buy them. Although I wished I bought more ammo. I guess I'm just trying to get a sense of things so that I can prepare or know what to look for.

Prepare everyday, We have seen and know what to look for and what it looks like.

I'm kind of wondering the same thing. Not so much on "when can I relaxe" but more in line with "when can I go back to buying ammo and finding AR uppers at prices that won't put me on a ramen noodle diet." At this point I'm not even going shooting much as I don't want to tap into my "stash". Guess ill be spending more time and money on bowling and maybe buy a guitar or two if this mania doesn't die down soon. I mean lets say the Fiendstein bill gets brought up, and gets put down. How long after that do you all think it will take to see some shelves fill up again?

I'm kind of wondering the same thing. Not so much on "when can I relaxe" but more in line with "when can I go back to buying ammo and finding AR uppers at prices that won't put me on a ramen noodle diet." At this point I'm not even going shooting much as I don't want to tap into my "stash". Guess ill be spending more time and money on bowling and maybe buy a guitar or two if this mania doesn't die down soon. I mean lets say the Fiendstein bill gets brought up, and gets put down. How long after that do you all think it will take to see some shelves fill up again?

There's no telling, thus no relaxing.  I think David's quote hit it on the head and provides some direction- our generations need to be vigilant and so do the next to such an extent that the next and subsequent generations don't have to deal with this BS.  Also, I'm not exhaling until after the game tonight.  I was 8 last time Notre Dame played for a national championship, and I really hope they pull one out tonight.  GO IRISH!