Saiga 12 Mods

Defender

I'm trying to learn about mods top the Saiga 12, and I would appreciate any help from those who know...as i understand it, the Saiga is manufactured with a folding and/or collapsible stock, a pistol grip, and a trigger that is in a more forward  position, but in order to meet the ATF's "sporting Use"  rules, certain modifications are made prior to importation into the US,  specifically, installing a fixed stock, removing the pistol grip and moving the trigger to the rear.

From what Ive read, it seems to me that there are two general methods of  :"converting" the Saiga.  One way is to just add a pistol grip/stock assembly and nothing else except maybe the forend grip.  The other involves moving the trigger as well to the original position on the receiver.  Moving the trigger supposedly removes some alleged problems with the trigger.

What do y'all think of all this?  Which way do you recommend and why?  Also, are there any kits in particular that you recommend?  Thanks in advance, TGO, for your, as always, expert help!

I would move the trigger forward, add a pistol grip and stock. The cutouts are already there and it literally takes an hour to do the conversion. Doing this conversion improves the trigger as well as removing several parts that might break eventually. Basically you grind or drill out a few rivets then assemble the gun like any other AK.

I would recommend the kits that Carolina Shooter Supply sells. You can buy everything needed for the conversion for $150.

If you have any questions feel free to ask, I have done several.

Dolomite

• Like 3

CSS is a good copamy to buy from, lots of how tos on youtube.

I did mine in about an hour as Dolomite said, it is not hard.

Well the BHO (bolt hold open) spring is a bit of a PITA, but other than that, it is easy.

The spring went for a ride when I did my S308, did find it.

• Like 1
Before doing any work you should probably run different types of ammo through it just to get an idea of how it cycles from the factory. Mainly the low power bulk stuff. This will give you an idea if there is more work to be done if you want to use the really cheap stuff.

The conversion shouldn't affect cycling much but that is one of the first things that will be asked about if you do have problems cycling low power rounds.

I'm assuming that you are getting your info from forum.saiga-12.com but if you aren't you should check out that site as well for a ton of good threads on everything for the S12. Edited by Romad7
  • Like 1

Got all my parts from Carolina Shooter Supply CSS but they are closed temp. when I went to the site last week. Did the trigger group and reliability kit for gas system

They opened the site back up today, but dont have a single saiga 12 conversion kit in stock, because i was gonna order one. At least they didnt when i looked earlier