Bodyguard .380 trigger

Guest Irie

I like my new little carry gun, but the trigger pull is very long and stiff. I understand you want some of this so you don't accidentally catch it on your pocket and discharge it, but is there anything I can do? I think it's affecting my accuracy .
  • Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

its a DAO design.  While shooting it a lot or taking it apart and polishing it all will work, the only other thing you can do is lighten the hammer spring which can only be done a tiny bit; if you do too much it will no longer set off primers.  Coupled with these issues, you have to give a primer a pretty good smack, and the small frame does't give you room for powerful leverage against the spring, so the burden of extra force is on the shooter....

So, you can do a *little* but the pull will always be long and moderately heavy.  

Pulling on a heavy trigger DOES mess up accuracy unless you are super strong --- the muscle action makes your entire hand move and wobble. 

I would say consider a sig p238 or maybe a larger framed ds/sa type gun? but you may or may not care for these?

Guest capt usa

Mine has gotten better the more I've shot it but it's still along way from easy. I still like it and the carry options it provides and I plan on keeping it. Keep shooting and good luck.

I have the BG 380 also and I agree that it's got a very stiff trigger pull. For me, it's a close quarters back-up gun. I'm OK with the stiff trigger since I'll be shooting from retention. In my opinion, it's not a comfortable handgun to shoot.

Using the laser might help you (which I don't use on mine due to the switch location). My best advice is for you to shoot it enough so that you get used to the trigger (and develop the accuracy that you want).

Edited by mcrichar
Thanks all. I was planning on going to the range this morning but the highway is shut down with a huge accident.

I've been looking at the Sig, but can't decide. I think you are right about the BG being a close quarters gun. I'm accurate enough for that. I'm actually using the laser as a training tool. It shows me how I'm pulling the trigger instead of pressing it.

Thanks all. I was planning on going to the range this morning but the highway is shut down with a huge accident.

I've been looking at the Sig, but can't decide. I think you are right about the BG being a close quarters gun. I'm accurate enough for that. I'm actually using the laser as a training tool. It shows me how I'm pulling the trigger instead of pressing it.

Find someone with the sig and shoot it.  It is .... very different but until you FIRE it you will not understand.   Somehow the sig cuts the recoil down 25% or more off the other guns in the same size.   Also its hard to argue against a trigger that travels a couple of milimeters total vs one that is 1/2 or 3/4 an inch.   But the sig has drawbacks too.... trigger like that means its SAO of course, and *requires* a safety to be USED if you carry it.  So you give up the pull & shoot of a DAO and must train to hit the safety if you want to carry it.  Also cocked pistols give some folks the willies, so you have to be OK with that design. 

The laser is excellent for training --- I would argue that it is the most practical use of those things. 

Some folks argue that you do not have to be accurate with a carry pistol and that is true to an extent: if you are 10 feet away and can hit them in the torso, that is "a good start" at least.   But I would argue that you have selected (as have I) a gun that has a very low capacity.   Every shot has to count, you cant take 4 or 5 torso shots to drop one attacker in a gun that holds 6 and lets face it, the 380 isnt known for its extreme penetration and hitting power.   I would throw it out there that being able to hit where you aim is very important in a weak caliber, low capacity pistol.   Add to that concept, the "what if" ---  what if the guy is 20 yards away and mowing down a crowd with his evil bushwhacker machine gun and you are behind him?  Can you stop him?   I am not saying I could with the sig.  But I *know* that I personally could not with any (even a 357 revolver) DAO pistol.   Some folks can, but I can't.   Its just something to think about.

Edited by Jonnin
I can definitely hit the body at 20 yards, just not in a tight group. Again, I am new to this gun. I bought it more as self protection, I never thought of the possibility of a nut job in a crowded area. Definitely not the gun for that job, though based on how these guys operate it would probably shock the hell out of them to have someone firing back at them.

I think I like DAO more for a carry gun. Mainly for the safety issue. My other handgun is a SW .357. I'm very accurate with that. J frame just fits my hand right. The BG is small, even for my hand. But it's very lightweight, where the .357 is stainless and very heavy. I also have to get used to a non revolver :)

the gun for the job is the one you have when the crap happens. The odds of being in a mass shooting are on par with winning a lottery, but you still have to think about it at least a little.

The gun is fine, but back to post #1 .... there isnt "much" you can do about the trigger on it beyond smoothing it out (from use or polish) and tiny but noticable spring tweaking.   Loads of folks love and carry DAOs and they serve well, you just have to manage your expectations and as I said, you have very little space in that size frame to get leverage against the hammer spring... it will always be moderately stout, at best, and orders of magnitude more difficult than the SAO.  

Yeah, I think getting used to it is the main thing. I find myself positioning my trigger finger wrong, probably because its so small. Practice will help with that.

I have been looking at small 9s....

Yeah, I think getting used to it is the main thing. I find myself positioning my trigger finger wrong, probably because its so small. Practice will help with that.

I have been looking at small 9s....

I wish you were closer :P

I spent a great deal of the past 2 years trying to find the IDEAL small 9mm.    This has resulted in a few poorly made purchases. 

One you might look at is the beretta nano.  The trigger on it is gritty and does not clean up  but its very small and 100% reliable and solidly made.   That is the only DAO I tried (and that was due to a LIE and ordering it sight unseen, something I will not be doing again).  It certainly fits as a thin, small 9.

I can yap about the others but if you want a small DAO 9, I am the wrong person to ask the rest are DA/SA or SAO.   I settled on the sig 938 for now.