Are Glocks manufactured here?

DaveTN

I keep seeing it posted that Glocks are being manufactured here and would like to know if there is any truth to it.

Are barrels, frames and magazines manufactured here? Are any of Glocks design Engineers here?  Is any part of the gun manufactured here by Americans? Or are they shipped here from Austria and built by assemblers in Georgia?

Can you tour the GA facility? Has anyone here done it?

My understanding is the ones marked USA instead of Austria are built here.

Yep. Mine was built, 100%, in the USA. I've got USA stamps on the frame, barrel and slide.

What does built mean? Manufactured or assembled? Does Glock manufacture a single piece of a gun here? Are there plastic injection molds in GA? Barrels made here…. Anywhere in this county?

I asked this question of Smith & Wesson before I bought my first M&P. They replied with “Every piece of the M&P was made in this country by Americans, including the magazines.”

What does built mean? Manufactured or assembled? Does Glock manufacture a single piece of a gun here? Are there plastic injection molds in GA? Barrels made here…. Anywhere in this county?

I asked this question of Smith & Wesson before I bought my first M&P. They replied with “Every piece of the M&P was made in this country by Americans, including the magazines.”
Manufactured in Smyrna.
They've been making them here for years to sell in countries that won't import from Austria. They started selling the USA-made Glocks, here, fairly recently. I have been having a hard time finding "good" info on this subject, however. All that I have read has been from Internet sources that are not Glock. Edited by Razz
Manufactured in Smyrna.
They've been making them here for years to sell in countries that won't import from Austria. They started selling the USA-made Glocks, here, fairly recently. I have been having a hard time finding "good" info on this subject, however. All that I have read has been from Internet sources that are not Glock.
So have I and that’s why I asked the question here.

XD’s are called “Springfield’s” and are stamped” Geneseo, IL”. They are stamped like that because federal law requires it. Springfield is only the “importer” HS Produkt in Croatia is the manufacturer. They have a Croatia stamp on them, but I believe it was probably more the demands of HS Produkt than anyone. But I have never seen a claim by anyone at The Springfield Armory that those guns are made here. But unless someone can link one I have never seen a claim by Glock their guns are made here either.
[quote name="mikegideon" post="876724" timestamp="1357418482"]From what I read on one forum, the Tenifer finishing process has been banned by the EPA in the US. I will continue to buy the Austrian product without losing any sleep. Not the first time the EPA helped an off shore manufacturer. It's what they do.[/quote] According to the link posted above, the Austrian Glocks dropped the tenifer finish and are identical to the USA models.
Glock is ultra secretive so everything is just speculation. Word is that production in GA has been stepped up to meet demands in the US and for export. Most of the newer 9mm and some G27's have been shipping with nothing but USA markings and GA proof marks.

Glock is ultra secretive so everything is just speculation. Word is that production in GA has been stepped up to meet demands in the US and for export. Most of the newer 9mm and some G27's have been shipping with nothing but USA markings and GA proof marks.

It’s not speculation if they are manufacturing and not just assembling. Has no one walked into that facility that can tell a manufacturing machine from a sandwich vending machine? biggrin.gif  I find it hard to believe that no one can tell what they are looking at or that employees have not talked about what is going on.

Yes, some Glock are made here, not just assembled.  The frame will be stamped "Made in USA" instead of "Made in Austria."  The slide will be stamped "USA" instead of "Austria."  The barrel will be stamped "US" instead of "AT."  As far as internals go, I have no idea. 

All my Glocks were made in Austria, which is fine by me.  Not all great things are made in the US, and Glock is a great gun.  Watches would be another example.  Unless you got an older watch or a Kobold, which most people can't afford, chances are it ain't made here.

I can tell you that Glock is very secretive, and not even the LE Sales Representative will disclose info. Doing so is supposed to be grounds for termination. There is someone over on Glocktalk that works for Glock but he will not release info. What is speculation is whether or not all of the USA Glock is American. People are saying that they are but until I see proof I think they are speculating.

When I took the Glock Armorers course 2 years ago they explained that due to ATF import restrictions, Glocks sold in the US came from Austria, and the Smyrna factory actually produced gubs for export to mostly central and south american markets. If folks are seeing guns with US stamps on them, then something must have changed.

Yes, some Glock are made here, not just assembled.  The frame will be stamped "Made in USA" instead of "Made in Austria."  The slide will be stamped "USA" instead of "Austria."  The barrel will be stamped "US" instead of "AT."  As far as internals go, I have no idea.

So you have no knowledge of whether or not they are made here, other than the stamps? If that is not a true assumption, what makes you know that they are manufactured here?

[quote name="DaveTN" post="876813" timestamp="1357427542"]I need no longer than it takes to walk through the building to answer the question on whether or not Glocks are manufactured here. thumbsup.gif[/quote]I was thinking the same thing. But as long as you're gonna make the trip, might as well take the museum tour and shoot a G18 on their range...

So you have no knowledge of whether or not they are made here, other than the stamps? If that is not a true assumption, what makes you know that they are manufactured here?

It is an assumption.  I have no direct knowledge, meaning I have seen the equipment, that they are made here.  My question would be, why on Earth would they bother stamping something "Made in USA" if it was not?  A Glock is a Glock and it will sell regardless what is stamped on it.

My question would be, why on Earth would they bother stamping something "Made in USA" if it was not?  A Glock is a Glock and it will sell regardless what is stamped on it.

Are you kidding me? Why do you think that facility is in Georgia?

They took the LEO market from Smith & Wesson and S&W is taking it back. Most everyone is glad to see American made guns in the hands of American cops. Future military contracts could be impacted by whether or not a company is American. The government took a lot of heat over the Berretta deal; with our economy the way it is and us making the best guns in world we need those jobs back here.

Are you kidding me? Why do you think that facility is in Georgia?

They took the LEO market from Smith & Wesson and S&W is taking it back. Most everyone is glad to see American made guns in the hands of American cops. Future military contracts could be impacted by whether or not a company is American. The government took a lot of heat over the Berretta deal; with our economy the way it is and us making the best guns in world we need those jobs back here.

Dave, all of us want more manufacturing jobs back home.  I would love to have  a TV, computer, etc... that was entirely made in the US. If S&W is taking back market share they lost, that is great.  However, I think on this particular case you are reaching.  You are questioning whether Glock falsely stamped their guns "Made in USA" over possible future LE and military contracts.  Come on man.  Do you not think the government has the ability to know whether the Glocks in question were indeed manufactured here?

If what you are speculating is true, it may force Glock to rethink their business model if they want to remain competitive in that particular segment.  Perhaps doing something like expanding the Georgia facilities to be the sole manufacturer for products used in North America.