Nashville HCP Training

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are good places to go for training in the Nashville area. I know the crew at Guns and Leather. They are good folks, have good prices and service.

They are worth the drive, and have an indoor range that is state of the art.

Gun City has been around forever, is very convenient, and is higher than other shops. They do have an indoor range. They have always been courteous to me.

Rick Uselton has an indoor facility going up in Franklin. Although he appears to have upset many folks, he may have been bushwhacked by the MSM.

Don't forget, the State gives a "recommended" course outline for the carry class. Changing it may hurt an Instructor's ability to defend an altered curriculum in Court. The class is VERY basic.

My suggestion is to take the carry class at an indoor range. If you want advanced shoot and move training, this is pretty much going to be performed at an outdoor range.

Intermediate classes which tune up gun handling skills can be done on an indoors range.

I have not met the folks at On Target, and do not know their prices and such. They also have an indoor range.

Edited by John Wall
  • 7 months later...
Guest kingtone

I took my class with APPS.

i know a lot of people have a problem with 'them'...

It was a two day course.

my only real complaints were that for all his extensive information and experience... he really could have fit the teaching and range time into one day. His class was WAY too long and he could have covered ALL the information he presented in less than half the time.

His use of language was rather unnecessary.. but it was rather comical to me and 2 friends doing the class.

Buford is VERY opinionated and i know some of the girls felt his attitude was condescending and sexist.

I went there hoping to get training in the use of my springfield as a CCW... but his bias AGAINST semi autos is unhelpful. I went away knowing everything about concealing and using a RUGER sp101 (his ONLY choice) but felt less prepared on my own weapon.

I think a good educator would still be able to express their opinion while still giving proper and adequate training.

I went and sought further training and help from someone else privately to supliment.

I took the class this weekend at Safety South. Bo and Chuck were great instructors and the class goes well beyond the mandated 8 hours. Accommodations the first day were very comfy (hotel conference center) and the powerpoint presentation and props (various guns, dummy ammo, etc) were very informative. Bo was also willing and prepared to answer all questions that were presented. The second day was held at a range in Smyrna and we had access to a nice room (sure beat standing out in the 40* cold!) to practice what we learned as far as proper gun handling skills go (loading, unloading, stance, etc). After that came some warm-up shooting excercises and finally the qualifying test.

My girlfriend also took the class with me and she is fairly new to handguns, aside from the handful times I have taken her to the range to shoot. One of the instructors gave her some added attention and pointers and she ended up passing with flying colors. Overall I can't recommend these guys enough for the newbie or intermediate shooter and will definitely be back for some of their other courses. My girlfriend did not feel intimidated at all and was very happy with what all she learned and how the class was structured.

A big thumbs up to Safety South! :)

+1 for Safety South. I was in the same class as BrandonTN and the attention they paid to ALL students was outstanding. They were helpful to those that needed assistance, but also spent time with those who were more experienced. Great class!

Guest Tn.Mitch
anybody recommend ASP in Joelton? Everyone I know to have gone there including myself recommend their staff wholeheartedly.

{Cheers from Istanbul}

Academy of Self-protection,Inc.Yeah thats where I went too $100.00 and they furnish the ammo....I like the range its $12.00 a day,you can payshoot for hours,leave for hours and come back for more hours.....cool