Denny's Manager Bans Police from Restaurant While Armed

Guest Razz

I know of a former Denny's manager looking for work. From what I have experienced and have seen in the news, Denny's has always come off as gun friendly. I think this is just a case of someone's personal issues staining an establishment. I would be shocked if this individual still has a job. Hell, I would say that at least 50% of the times I've been in a Denny's there are cops having a meal. Granted, if I'm in a Denny's it is probably 2am and I'm trying to fight the future hangover.

It said one of the customers saw a firearm and alerted the manager. I guess the idiot could not see the badges or police radios that were there in plain view. Just another stupid person terrified at the sight of a gun and a manager too stupid to tell the customer to sit back down. Of course we all know that anyone with a firearm is a baby killer and terrorist now.

Edited by Mariner

Pretty odd...I was in St. Louis for the NRA convention this past year and there was a Denny's near my hotel...I ate two or three meals there.

The first meal I had there was late evening and I noticed they were closing for the night about the time I was getting ready to leave...I asked the manager about it because "Denny's is Always Open"; or so I thought. Well, they were closing because of crime in the neighborhood and because they had experienced a robbery with shots fired not long before (the manager showed me one of the repaired bullet holes).  As the conversation went on he asked why I was in town and I told him which led to further discussion and the fact that I was carrying...anyway; he was VERY happy to have customers carry in his Denny's!

I guess it just depends on the manager/particular restaurant.  :shrug:

Edited by RobertNashville

My kinda guy! If guns aren't allowed in Denny's, then NOBODY'S gun should be allowed in Denny's. This illustrates the absurdity of gun free zones as well as anything I can think of.

For the life of me, I just can't wrap my head around the idea that LEOs operate by a different set of rules than the people they serve.

All or none seems fair to me.

No...they'll come...cops; at least most of them, will always server the public...even the most stupid public among us...even at the cost of their own lives.

Probably. Wouldn't they need to stay in the parking lot and wait for the perps to exit the building? :pleased:

[quote name="bkelm18" post="875198" timestamp="1357234110"]Why? Because he exercised his rights?[/quote] No, because they are respecting his decision. He doesn't want armed cops in his establishment. Well by god let him sleep in the bed he makes. If I were a cop I would ask. If I'm not trustworthy to have my weapon here while I'm eating your greasy slop dog food, why would I all the sudden be worthy when you have an emergency? No! Let this guy get robbed and when he cries for help, tell him to go hump a rock.
Its one thing to tell a private citizen you'd prefer them not to carry, but a cop!? Can he even do that? I know very few people who can disarm a cop. A judge can order a cop to remove his weapon in a court room and I am fairly certain a school principle has the authority as well. A Denny's manager?
  • Like 1
My kinda guy! If guns aren't allowed in Denny's, then NOBODY'S gun should be allowed in Denny's. This illustrates the absurdity of gun free zones as well as anything I can think of.

For the life of me, I just can't wrap my head around the idea that LEOs operate by a different set of rules than the people they serve.

All or none seems fair to me.

Have you ever heard of a commission card?

In my 38 years living very close to there, I ate there many, many times. Next it will be a ban on the stock car back firing at Bel-Clair race track right next door. It's a sad state of affairs!

But on the bright side, I finally was able to retire and get the heck out of Dodge while the gettin was good.

Just right up the road is the Belleville Sports / Indoor Shooting Range I frequented often. The only one in the surrounding area, I wonder if their doors are still open?

Police Officers eating dinner are no different than you or I eating dinner.  You can ask them to leave just like you would any other customer, and if they refuse they can be charged with trespass just like you or I can be.

Now, it's pretty stupid to ask a police officer to leave, just slightly less stupid than asking a permit holder to leave.

Its one thing to tell a private citizen you'd prefer them not to carry, but a cop!? Can he even do that? I know very few people who can disarm a cop. A judge can order a cop to remove his weapon in a court room and I am fairly certain a school principle has the authority as well. A Denny's manager?

I know very few people who can disarm a cop. A judge can order a cop to remove his weapon in a court room and I am fairly certain a school principle has the authority as well. A Denny's manager?

Regarding cop disarming, generally speaking in TN, while on duty...

A judge while in his courtroom (rare).

A federal building (sometimes).

A detention facility (always).

The governing authority, stamped on the back of every TN POST Commission Card that every cop possesses (which NRA previously referenced) is TCA 39-17-1315 and USC 18 Sect 926.

There is a private property rights issue in section B of said TCA.

My jurisdiction considers a cop "on duty" even while on his/her lunch break.  Maybe not all do...don't know, and maybe that's the rub in some places.

Edited by TN-popo
  • Like 1