what is on your adult beverage menu for the evening?

• 4 weeks later...

New Belgium Tripple is now my favorite craft beer. Flavored with Coriander, this is the best tasting beer I have had in a long time. Unfortunatly, at 7.8% ABV it cannot be sold in TN except in liquor stores. But if you get a chance to try it, you won't be sorry.

tr_beer_prodshot_sm.png

• 1 month later...

Sam Adams Octoberfest. Every year it tastes a little different.

I bought a 6 pack a few days ago, and it does taste a little different this year. That is probably my favorite beer, but I am not sold on this years mix. Good, but not great.

Edited by quietguy
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest Lester Weevils

A couple weeks ago was thinking margaritas and noticed all the commercial margarita mixes I saw contained high fructose corn syrup, which might be just as healthy as any other sugar and only have a bad reputation but I've been staying away from the corn syrup anyway. I don't have a sweet tooth so its not hard to avoid. Anyway most margarita mixes taste like bug poison but I've been too lazy to try rolling my own.

So anyway a simple recipe that tasted fine to me-- 1 oz key west lime juice (doesn't taste like bug poison like most bottled lime juice), 1 oz triple sec, 2 oz tequila, 1/8 tsp sea salt stirred in, ice. No high fructose corn syrup unless maybe they put it in triple sec nowadays. It is enough salt to taste like a margarita, but you would have to drink way too many to severely exceed the RDA for salt in the diet.

So recently someone gave me a mojito made from roses mojito mix and rum. Hadn't had one before, kinda tastes like a minty margarita. So was at walmart and noticed that mojito mix also has high fructose corn syrup. I think maybe all of em do nowadays. So anyway there are recipes involving sugar and mint leaves on the web, but only looked it up tonite. I tried an experimental recipe of what I recalled it tasting like for new years eve-- 1 oz key west lime juice, 1 oz triple sec, 1 oz creme de menthe, 2 oz 70 proof rum, ice, 1/8 tsp sea salt optional. It tasted to me "in the ballpark" of a mojito. Maybe the mix of ingredients could be tweaked, but it is sour, not excessively sweet, and not too strong minty. I need to find out if they are putting corn syrup in liquers nowadays. Maybe 100 proof peppermint schnapps would be a variant with a little more kick.

Edited by Lester Weevils
I have found some stuff a few weeks ago and I've drank a lot of it during the holidays. It's similar to Bailey's but it's way better. It's Whisper Creek Sippin' Cream. It's made in Nashville. Really smooth and creamy with no long aftertaste and you can drink more than a few shots because it's only 40 proof.