Looks like I picked a bad time to look for my first rifle...

Guest Bassman17SC

Guest Bassman17SC

I've been hesitating to to get a rifle for a while now.

1. I live in a neighborhood cul-de-sac on a 1/3 acre lot. 

2. Our house is only front side brick; the other three sides are "brick-to-grade" and vinyl.

3. Not really a fan of ARs.

So, while I qualified "Expert" three years with the M16A1 rifle in the Army, I would rather have a different type rifle.  While I really would like a S/A M1A, the .308 (7.62mm) would be a little too large a caliber for my needs.  Therefore, I've concluded that a .223 (5.56mm) would be more appropriate for a home defense rifle.

On the other hand, I don't know beans about rifles in general and specific brands in particular.

I've seen references to the M1 Carbine (Auto Ordnance, I believe), the Mini-14 (Ruger), and a few others as alternatives to the AR platform.  But recently I found the MR1 by Benelli.  It comes in 5.56mm barrel, rear aperture/front post sights, a rail for optics, and has the option for a pistol grip - or not.  And most AR/M16 mags will fit (comes standard with a 5-rounder).

1. Do I really need a rifle?  Currently own an 870 20 gauge, a Sig P226, and two 1911s.

2. Anyone have experience with the MR1, since it is not on the "leaked" banned rifle list?  (I know, the list is from 1994, and the MR1 did not come out until 2009).

Thanks to all for any advice, help, and recommendations.

I am not gona tell you what I use, you use what you are good with.

If you have not fired a LOT, then get to a range and fire a LOT.

Find what "YOU" like.

Now I will tell what I use, 1st Glock 22, 2nd 12ga pump with bird shot, inside of 20 feet, ya cant beat it.

Why the G22 first, easy to get to, easy to carry and (the most important) fire with one hand.

Clearing a house with a shotgun or rifle is hard since you can bring it in close to you when you take corners.  I would look at a 9mm handgun for self-defense inside a house.  Your 226 is perfect since it is a full size pistol that can be converted to 9mm (if its not already) .40 caliber is pretty easy to shoot as long as you don't mind the extra recoil.   Just put a streamlight tlr-1s on it and it will be the best to clear a house.

If you really want a rifle, I'd invest in one that shoots .45 caliber rounds such as the Kriss Vector or get an ar platform in 300BLKOUT.

Don't knock a lever gun for home defense either!  Pistol caliber lever actions (Marlin, Henry, Rossi, etc) will hold 9 or 10 rounds.  You can get them with 16" barrels and they are fun to shoot. There are other rifles out there besides ARs and AKs  that are pleasures to own and still do what you need them to do.  They also won't alarm you neighbors as much, if you care about such things.

Edited by Moped

sounds like you have inside the home defense situation covered with the 2 1911's and shotgun. for inside the home defense all you are lacking is a glock and that will have you covered. a glock 21sf will make a good choice if the 1911 is 45acp. i think a rifle for inside the home defense is not the best option due to over penetration,ability to move around corners ect. a rifle however must be included in ones overall self defense plans. when ( not if ) the SHTF a man that can hit a man sized target at 300 yards with iron sights should be able to keep the wolves at bay. i like my s/a m1a standard for this role. for accuracy,rate of fire and knock down power it gets the job done. a proven performer. if you do go with a rifle for inside the home use regardless of caliber i think your most important decision will be the type of bullet you choose. let us know what you decide on.   

• Administrator
sounds like you have inside the home defense situation covered with the 2 1911's and shotgun. for inside the home defense all you are lacking is a glock and that will have you covered. a glock 21sf will make a good choice if the 1911 is 45acp. i think a rifle for inside the home defense is not the best option due to over penetration,ability to move around corners ect. a rifle however must be included in ones overall self defense plans.

Sorry, I can't let this one go.

Targeted home invasions typically involve more than one assailant and the increasing trend is for them to be well armed and sometimes using soft body armor.  A compact carbine shooting a rifle caliber is exactly the sort of weapon you want in these cases, and a home invasion is the one practical scenario where you realistically will be able to go for your primary weapon (rifle) rather than being limited to what is easily man-portable and concealable like your secondary weapon (handgun).

I enjoy the nostalgia of the model 1911 but you are still talking about having two of a handgun that only carries eight to nine rounds in a platform which can be rather finicky about feeding and cycling.  If your 1911 chokes on the firing range, no one dies.  If your 1911 chokes at 2:00am, or runs dry of ammo, while you are defending your house then the wrong people most certainly might die as a result.

Shotguns for home defense scenarios are fine provided you're using an appropriate ammunition and have worked out how you will maneuver through the house while holding a large stick out in front of you, or bringing a large stick to bear if you encounter someone without them using the barrel's bulk against you.  Most people have this fantasy idea that if someone breaks into their house, they will get to go slinking from corner to corner all ninja-SWAT-badass, clearing the house, in full control of the situation.  The statistics I've read don't bear this out.  Most true home invasions are done by perps who know to come in fast and hard, and hit with overwhelming force before the home owner gets a chance to fully wake up and react.

I'm not sure how big your house is, or how it's laid out, but for most people the amount of time the homeowner gets to react is fairly slim.

My recommendations are a little more complex than telling a person what firearm they need.  Home defense is a lot more dynamic than that and you should stack the deck in your favor in as many was as possible.   For example, use motion lights outside the house.  Keep dogs; Yappy little dogs are hard to shoot and make a lot of noise.  Invest in strong but decorative outer security "storm" doors as well as strong external doors.  Thick solid core wood doors are great.  External doors that open outward with double hinges that cannot be popped from the outside are more resistant to being kicked in.  Always run lag bolts through the hinges and into the studs surrounding the door facing.  Always use double-key deadbolts rather than the kind that have a thumb toggle on the inside.  Get deadbolts that have LONG bolts that go deep into the door frame.

Etc. and so forth.  Make it hard for the invaders to get into your house.  The more time you buy yourself here, the more time you have to react.

As for firearms, I'm a huge fan of short barrel, NFA item, carbines for home defense.  Short barrel AR-15's are great chambered in either 5.56 or a caliber like 300 Blackout.  They're compact which lets you maneuver easier inside of a house, and they don't present a long barrel that someone can use against you for leverage, or that you'll bang around corners, smack lamps off tables with, etc.

Just food for thought.

• Like 1

1. Do I really need a rifle?  Currently own an 870 20 gauge, a Sig P226, and two 1911s.
Do you feel comfortable that you can stop any threat at your home with what you have?
2. Anyone have experience with the MR1, since it is not on the "leaked" banned rifle list? (I know, the list is from 1994, and the MR1 did not come out until 2009).
Sure it’s on the banned list; it has a detachable magazine and a pistol grip.
I don’t know anything about it, but I would stick with the AR since it is a standard that you can expand on.
I have AR’s in both .223 and .308. Depends on what I need at the time.
I also have an M1 Carbine (Inland) but its put away, don’t need it with the AR’s.
  • Administrator
Instead of an NFA item how about an AR pistol?

Novelty item, IMO.  I've shot them and find them to be bulky and unwieldy.  A better option would be an FN 5.7 pistol if you're wanting something that shoots a light weight bullet really fast, won't over-penetrate and has high round count in a pistol form factor.

Any 16" bbl AR-15 with a collapsible stock fully compressed would be tolerable to operate in the tight confines of most homes.  A short barrel rifle would be even better, but the NFA aspect makes it somewhat undesirable for some people.

[quote name='TGO David' timestamp='1357065848' post='874172']Instead of an NFA item how about an AR pistol? Novelty item, IMO. I've shot them and find them to be bulky and unwieldy. A better option would be an FN 5.7 pistol if you're wanting something that shoots a light weight bullet really fast, won't over-penetrate and has high round count in a pistol form factor. Any 16" bbl AR-15 with a collapsible stock fully compressed would be tolerable to operate in the tight confines of most homes. A short barrel rifle would be even better, but the NFA aspect makes it somewhat undesirable for some people.[/quote] I really like my AR pistol. It's chambered in .300 BLK. But I don't find it to be bulky. Just a matter of opinion I suppose.
I’m not a SIG fan but isn’t the 226 a .40S&W that will take a 15 round magazine? That’s a heck of a lot of firepower. I have a 15 round .40, if that won’t do the trick I’m moving to a .308 semi-auto rifle. Because then penetration is not an issue.
But I think getting your hands on a 308 AR will be kinda expensive for awhile.
Guest 6.8 AR
I wouldn't worry too much about that list. Check 'em all out while the prices return to normal. The senatorette won't be a problem with her worn out list. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I really like my AR pistol. It's chambered in .300 BLK. But I don't find it to be bulky. Just a matter of opinion I suppose.

I haven't really spent much time thinking about this, but will mention that the BLK is going to plow through some walls. I'm not real diciplined when it comes to a detailed home defense plan, but always keep a PMAG loaded with 55 grain VMaxes. My neighborhood may be a little too dense to sling a bunch of 125 gr Ballistic Tips while I'm dodging bullets.

I’m not a SIG fan but isn’t the 226 a .40S&W that will take a 15 round magazine? That’s a heck of a lot of firepower. I have a 15 round .40, if that won’t do the trick I’m moving to a .308 semi-auto rifle. Because then penetration is not an issue.
But I think getting your hands on a 308 AR will be kinda expensive for awhile.

I think penetration would be an issue with the .308... just not under-penetration.

The title of this topic reminds me of the several quotes from the 1980 hilarious movie Airplane.  Steve McCrosky (Loyd Bridges) would often say, "Looks like I picked a bad time......"  For you over the age 40 crowd do you remember?  

• Like 1
[quote name="Bassman17SC" post="873786" timestamp="1357016237"]   So, while I qualified "Expert" three years with the M16A1 rifle in the Army, I would rather have a different type rifle. [/quote] What underfunded, forgotten unit were you in that still had A-1's?
The title of this topic reminds me of the several quotes from the 1980 hilarious movie Airplane.  Steve McCrosky (Loyd Bridges) would often say, "Looks like I picked a bad time......"  For you over the age 40 crowd do you remember?  

LOL "sniffing glue"