Help me make my mind up - Saiga or Marlin?

Pat

Hey, hi, TGO.

I'm faced with a conundrum! I've saved up enough money that I can probably buy a Saiga 7.62x39 rifle, which after some research is something I've been considering as perhaps an ideal gun for my SHTF fantasies. All I've read indicates that they're as reliable as a real AK would be, and accurate enough for shooting within maybe 200 yards. Yet they're cheap enough that I can buy one. :P

At the same time, it might also be a good idea to get one while I can, just in case some stupid gun laws pass through and Saigas end up banned or severely restricted.

But then, I've been really wanting a Marlin 1894C for months now. A perfect companion gun for my .357 Mag revolver in appearance and ammunition, and also suitable for my SHTF fantasies... also capable of use for hunting, although the Saiga would be as well. I will be waiting a while for one of these, though, and they're a pretty penny.

So... I'm leaning towards a Saiga at the moment... I guess I mainly want to hear if there's any problems with them as well, but it's a tough choice. Do I wait for an unknown time and get what I've been dreaming of or get a hopefully good gun now? Or is the threat of a gun ban enough to make a Saiga purchase rational? Hmm.

That's where TGO comes in! I'd like two cents, please.

Yep, I'd take the Marlin. It's handicaps are minimal if you are truly honest with yourself. Not many of us are going to be trading volume of fire in a blaze of glory. Also consider the marlin will slip unr the radar of skeptic eyes where the Siaga will scream red alert.
Personally is get today what I may not be able get tomorrow. I would ask, have you got a good lead on either of the rifles? Seems both are hard to get ahold of just now. Either one is a fine choice so I wouldn't worry too much either way. On the saiga, one thing to consider is that you will most likely end up converting it to an AK if its in its stock configuration. That will take some extra $$$ but can be done later. I would put the conversion money into ak mags and ammo for now. The marlin is good to go and will make a fine companion price to any revolver chambered in the same round. Ammo is easier to find for the 38/357 right now as well. Good luck on your decision, its a tough one.
I've been wanting a good levergun in 38/357 for a while. The Marlin is a good choice, and since I am a big fan of multiple guns in the same caliber, that's where I'd go.

But that being said, I already got a decent AK. Not a great one, but it works for me.

I just got a Rossi R92 16" stainless in .357 - my thinking was to have a rifle I could carry around without getting swat-ted, especially if I have to bury have a boating accident with the semis. ;)

From what I've read, these are hit or miss, but I got a good one - excellent trigger, feeds both .357 and .38's GoG had 27 in stock today, for a couple of bills less that the Marlin.

Guest ochretoe

http://www.marlinowners.com/forum

Check out the Marlin Board.  Lots of good information and a good bit of trading going on.  I have an 1894c with two different .357 revolvers.  Great round and relatively cheap to shoot.  The saiga is also a great gun.  For SHTF I would go with the lever and wheel combo.

Edited by ochretoe

I love my .357 lever action. It's lightweight, handles great, and if you reload you can tailor some .357 rounds specifically for the rifle to get a little more power. Like the others have said, black rifles are bringing a premium right now so you just might find a .357 lever for a reasonable price and buy the semi auto in a couple of months when things calm down and panic buyers start getting their credit card bills.  :popcorn:

Edited by 56FordGuy
  • Like 1
I love my .357 lever action. It's lightweight, handles great, and if you reload you can tailor some .357 rounds specifically for the rifle to get a little more power. Like the others have said, black rifles are bringing a premium right now so you just night find a .357 lever for a reasonable price and buy the semi auto in a couple of months when things calm down and panic buyers start getting their credit card bills.  :popcorn:

I am waiting on that just to see there faces when I say "that is way to much, will ya take 250 for that black rifle?"

Gona be a hoot!!!

Hmm. I see the reasoning, and it's making sense... You're all right, evil black rifles are probably at a premium price across the board, so maybe I should just wait a while until a 94C gets in stock somewhere. Welp, thanks guys.