Mechanic needed fairly close to Springfield

No longer looking!

Any out of work mechanics, or one that has some free time on Tuesday? I need some assistance with a heater core in a 2002 F-150. The truck is in my garage, and I've had enough tools to get the job done so far. I am going to invest in a 1/4" drive socket set tomorrow, however. I did read something about a special tool to remove the lines from the heater core, and that I do not have.

I downloaded some step-by-step (for the most part) instructions and managed to get the dash removed far enough to access the heater core. The directions I downloaded were done so that the dash didn't need to be removed completely. It's too late, so I stopped just short of opening the heater core box, or whatever it's called.

I have a ride to work tomorrow, but I desperately need to finish this Tuesday so I can drive to work Wednesday. I need someone with experience that can help me (or I help you) ensure this gets done Tuesday. I have no intentions of just standing around and watch you work. I will do whatever I can to be as helpful as possible.

While removing the nuts, bolts, screws, etc., I made sure to separate them into ziplock bags and numbered them according to the step I was working on when removing them. This should make assembly a little easier, rather than digging through a box of parts.

I am in Springfield, and am able to start as early as you'd like on Tuesday. I'll be home from work about 5:45 pm tomorrow, and I'd be willing to work on it then too. Whenever you can do it is fine, just as long as I can drive it to work Wednesday morning.

Shoot me a PM with what you'd charge for the job.

Thank you in advance. Edited by TripleDigitRide
  • Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you can find some real long needle nosed pliers that have a 90 degree bend at the tip, they will get those hoses

loose from the core without having to buy that tool. Maybe Advance has that tool and will lend it to you, though.

The connector on these types of cores are like some inline fuel filter connectors. Not a big deal but it's where they

are as to how much of a problem they can be. Hope that helps.

I would help you but with my right arm the way it is, I'd be useless. I could probably talk you through the process,

but that's about it.

Ya need these

http://www.harborfreight.com/3-piece-long-reach-hose-grip-pliers-37909.html

How ever with the age of the truck the fittings will be brittle, they just might break.

If you can, cut the tube at the firewall then you can get the fitting closer to your eyes

to see what and how to get them to release.

Edited by RED333

Can't help ya with your problem here.... but I can help ya prevent it in the future.

Throughout the year, be sure to turn on and run your heater every couple of months. That will prevent if from leaking when you turn it on for the first time each winter.

:)

It would have been done yesterday, but I wasn't willing to take a chance with the aftermarket heater core from O'reilly's. Not only was it much thinner thanthe factory core, but the aluminum lines didn't quite it in the notch on the heater box. They would have had to be bent, and they already looked cheaply attached to the actual heater core body.

I ended up ordering one from the dealer, along with an A/C evaparator. Just my luck, the evaperator would leak when I tried to used it in the spring. And there's no way I want to go through this again if I can help it.

I have a borrowed vehicle, so I can meet you tomorrow after work. Maybe 5:00 or 6:00. Edited by TripleDigitRide